Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

short shifter compatability
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: short shifter compatability Reply with quote

I have a 79 super vert and was wondering if I could use an early shifter that is 10 inches long and angled as I do not like the empi trigger shifter that was installed when I bought it. I would also install the quick shift kit. The shifter I am looking at says it was stock from 58 to 67. Thank you as always for your help.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: short shifter compatability Reply with quote

The later straight shaft shifters can rotate in the cup at the end of the shift rod since they are straight and this makes no difference. The earlier angled shifters needed a way to make sure they were always angled rearward. Here is a pic of the early vs. late shift rod cup:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice the slot in the earlier rod cup. You would need to modify your shift rod to allow for the pin that prevented the earlier shifter from rotating.

Once you did this, everything else should work as you planned. As long as your shifter is a stock shifter the quick shift kit should also work.

Also, you can't just use an earlier shift rod in your late model chassis since I believe the earlier ones were longer and will not line up with the shifter hole in the tunnel (not without some modification to the rod or the tunnel). When VW switched to the straight shifter the base was moved more rearward to keep the knob in generally the same position.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
toddsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: short shifter compatability Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ashman. I appreciate it. I found a shortened lever that fits the newer shifters and I may go with that. From So Cal Imports and is about an inch and three quarters shorter than stock. Thoughts if this would work with the shift kit?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: short shifter compatability Reply with quote

toddsyn wrote:
I found a shortened lever that fits the newer shifters and I may go with that. From So Cal Imports and is about an inch and three quarters shorter than stock. Thoughts if this would work with the shift kit?

Here is a pic of the parts for a stock shifter:

The domed cup a little ways up on the shaft of the shifter is the pivot point. It rests on the underside of the black bracket.

The way the quick shift kits work is by moving the pivot point higher up on the shifter. This allows the ball at the bottom of the shifter to move a greater distance for the same amount of movement at the top of the shifter. Here you can see the extra domed cup that comes with the quick shift kit installed above the normal domed cup:

The quick shift kit also comes w/ a diamond shaped spacer that fits below the black bracket.

Once you have the spacer and extra domed cup installed you have moved the pivot point further up on the shaft. Shifting will take more effort since you loose the lever action of the longer shaft but get reduced throw distance.

FYI, the reverse lock-out plate is installed below the spacer. And you may need to make small adjustments in the placement of the shifter to get it to slide into all gears. If you have trouble getting into a gear, move the base further away from that gear.
Trouble getting into 1st and 3rd... move the base toward the rear of the car.
Trouble getting into 3rd and 4th... move the base toward the left side of the car.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: