Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

About two years ago, I pulled the 1.6 diesel engine from my Westfalia and upgraded to the 1.9 TD and I've had that stock 1.6D engine in my garage ever since. Motor is in fine shape, just wanted a bit more power for my camper. Earlier this week, I bought a 1981 diesel Rabbit (AC model) for $400 on craigslist. Good project and really solid, but it's been sitting for 20 years. The motor is fine except for needing a new injection pump, but needs to be flushed and a heck of a lot of TLC.

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT!-
So anyways, to my knowledge the 1.6D that I pulled from my 82 diesel Vanagon SHOULD be the same motor that's in the 81 diesel I just bought. Is this true? I'm hoping that I can just drop that guy in my rabbit and tinker with the pulled motor from the rabbit in the meantime. [/s][/i]
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

It's the same engine except that the intake & exhaust manifolds will need to be swapped & the pump bracket will need to be changed because of the lack of the engine mount (a real PITA.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Ah okay - which pump are we talking about here?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

The engine mount bracket is also the bracket that holds the injection pump to the engine. The diesel Vanagon & the 85- Golfs & Jettas do not use this mount so it does not exist on the the injection pump bracket on these engines. To remove & replace this bracket requires removing the timing belt & the injection pump. This would also be the time to replace the engine mount that's pressed into the bracket.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Gotcha -I’m thinkin I’ll go ahead with that , the 1.6 I have is due for a new timing belt so while I’m there I’ll go ahead and delete the bracket. Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Nooo, you'll need to transfer the pump bracket WITH the engine mount from the Rabbit engine TO the Vanagon engine for the Vanagon engine to work in the Rabbit. I hope that was clear enough.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Oooh okay. So transfer the bracket with mount to the vanagon engine. I assume the injection pump itself is the same though?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Sorta, the throttle lever & cable stop is positioned differently on the Vanagon pump to clear the engine cover but I think it should still work. If not, those could be transferred also, just be sure to make the positions of the levers on the throttle shaft, the spring setups are a convoluted mess on the levers.

vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

I believe the oil pan & oil pump are different . Also the clutch & flywheel are different .
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
I believe the oil pan & oil pump are different . Also the clutch & flywheel are different .

I'm sure those were already used on the 1.9td in the Vanabeast. The oil pump is the same but the pickup tube is different.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Alright , so pulled the motor from the rabbit no problem and when I put a wrench on the crank - full rotation no problem! So I think I’m gonna replace the injection pump and half a dozen other things instead of swapping the motor.
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

UPDATE:
About half a year later.... Wink Rabbit is up running a driving! Ended up staying with the same engine after all. But I'm having a bit of the issue with the injection pump.
So I've pretty much have the injection pump dialed in on fuel/air mixture, however when revving between around 1500 RPM and 2500 RPM, the pump appears to stutter at a very specific range. In other words if I'm accelerating in first gear, at that specific RPM, I will suddenly lose power, then regain power giving a bit of a bucking sensation. If I hold the throttle at that RPM range, under load the car will buck like I'm jerking the throttle. At first I thought my injectors might be clogged, so I took them apart, cleaned them, but there appears to be no difference. So here's my dilemma...I'm guessing my injection pump is the issue, however I have two spare 1.6 injection pumps that need rebuilding anyways. Is it best to go ahead and rebuild one and swap out the one that's in my rabbit? Or any other ideas?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

There is no “dialing in” of air/fuel mixture on a diesel (no throttle plate, only a wide open intake), a diesel only runs as fast as it’s fuel source will allow. Give it more fuel, the faster it will rev. If it finds another source of fuel, it will run as fast as it can until it comes apart (thus the term “runaway”).

Diesels will run on just about anything with a flash point including antifreeze & engine oil.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Gotcha - Any ideas on the pump issue?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Make sure that it’s a pump issue & not due to ingesting oil that may have puddled in the intake.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Alright - so took off the air filter and looked into the intake and there is a bit of oil puddled in there. I've also noticed that the car tends to put out quite a bit of blue/grey smoke, which I assume is oil being burned. I'm not sure if the two issues are related, but is there any sort of upgrades for a pcv valve that might help stop oil from leaking into the intake?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Remove the crank case vent hose from the intake & either let it vent to atmosphere (makes for a messy engine bay) or make/buy a catch can/separator.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

I'm thinking of running it with a crankcase vent filter attached (hopefully that'll keep my engine bay less smokey than just detaching) and seeing if that'll solve my issue. If not I might be eyeing the valve seals as the smokey culprit and the pump as and issue still..
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

What comes out of the crank case vent is not smoky, it will be oily, especially in an engine with excessive blow-by, thus the puddling of oil in the intake. You can also decrease the amount of oil vapor from the crank case vent tube by getting an oil baffle or windage tray from a later gas car to install over the camshaft to reduce the amount of oil slinging from the camshaft into the separator in the valve cover.

82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Hmmm...I ran it with the crankcase vent tube disconnected and there's quite a bit of smoke coming from the crankcase. In fact when I shut it off and opened the oil cap, there's still quite a bit of a smoke venting with the cap off. Being a diesel I'm not sure if this is on the normal side?...It just seems like smoke coming from the crankcase is never good...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: