Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pumps
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I would like some input on stock vs electric fuel pumps. I just got a new engine and it looks real nice. I have 44 Kadrons on it. I want to tidy up the engine bay and was knocking the idea around about placing an electric fuel pump in it so I can hide the fuel lines behind the fan shroud. What are some of your opinions on it?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Other than looks, there really isn't anything beneficial in regards to an electric fuel pump imo. Plus you run the risk of having electrical issues with one as opposed to a mechanical one.

Just my 2c Cool
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Other than looks, there really isn't anything beneficial in regards to an electric fuel pump imo. Plus you run the risk of having electrical issues with one as opposed to a mechanical one.

Just my 2c Cool

This time I'll echo Joey: don't bother. All I see are downsides.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I'll play devil's advocate. Installing an electric pump will let you achieve your primary goal: to clean up the engine bay and hide the fuel lines. Other nice things about an electric pump are if you are like many others, afflicted with the choice of only ethanol fuel, and you likewise experience post shut down vapour lock in hot weather or notice the float bowls going dry after the car sits for several weeks then you will appreciate having an electric pump to get a steady flow back to the carbs quickly and float bowls topped up for quick and reliable starting. Electric pumps are generally easier to test since they don't rely on cranking the engine over to actuate them. And one last perk of an electric versus stock fuel pump: if the pump leaks it doesn't fill the crankcase with fuel, possibly leading to bearing damage.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

you may need a pressure regulator unless the electric pump is correct pressure.
I kind of like the look of stock pumps, but tastes are a personnel thing.

Also for safety, include an automatic pump motor shut off in event of crash. A rollover or impact switch, engine rotation sensor etc.. is needed. leaving a pump wired to ignition can result in fuel being spilled and fire in a crash.
the mechanical pump is inherently safer, engine stops, pump stops, unless you add circuitry to turn off the electric pump in a crash automatically.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

I'll tell ya - not real impressed with the current crop of mechanical fuel pumps these days. Seems like Brosals are lasting about 4 years or so before the diaphragms go to hell (max ethanol here is 10%). Euromax are too high pressure. I am a total advocate of simple is better, but really anymore, not adverse to electric fuel pumps.

2 things to ponder - you WILL need a pressure regulator. The cheap ones are supposed to be crap. Have not had a problem with them except for one recently and I think it was mechanically abused, BUT I now am only stocking Holleys.

In the event of an accident, the fuel pump will continue to run as long as there is power to it. There are relays available that are driven off a tach signal and arent that expensive. They run in bypass mode for maybe 3 seconds and then turn off power to the pump if there is not signal from the - side of the coil. Not a bad thing to install.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You simply can't beat this original Square top German Pierburg fuel pumps after a restoration. They put out the correct fuel pressure. They have a built in fuel shut off valve and fuel filter.

Wolfsburg West is now selling OE quality rebuild kits for them. They are the best mechanical fuel pumps VW installed on these air cooled engines.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You simply can't beat this original Square top German Pierburg fuel pumps after a restoration. They put out the correct fuel pressure. They have a built in fuel shut off valve and fuel filter.

Wolfsburg West is now selling OE quality rebuild kits for them. They are the best mechanical fuel pumps VW installed on these air cooled engines.

Does the WW kit have the CORRECT spring for the proper fuel pressure? If so, then I will order a couple kits. BTW will they clear an alternator - have never tried....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Does the WW kit have the CORRECT spring for the proper fuel pressure? If so, then I will order a couple kits.

Bill (wcfvw69) says the new WW FP rebuild kits do have the correct spring in them, and he likes those kits.

The WW FP rebuild kit I bought a year ago had the "different" spring and I had high FP pressure, so Bill was kind enough to send me a used spring to use instead.

andk5591 wrote:
BTW will they clear an alternator - have never tried....

These flat-top Pierburg FPs will sometime clear an alternator-equipped engine from what I've read, but will be a tight fit or some grinding of the stand will be required.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Damn - I just did a couple engines with alt conversions and could have tested. Never bothered trying since I assumed it wont work. I think I have at least a half dozen of those pumps in a box somewhere.

Well. next engine, I'll play around and see what fits and what doesnt. I dunno....for some reason "I read that it works" is not always enough for me to spend money on....LOL.. Sorry Cusser.....
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

While they usually just barely fit next to an alternator, they cannot be installed or removed with the alternator in the way. Well, not if you are working around the stock mounting studs.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Damn - I just did a couple engines with alt conversions and could have tested. Never bothered trying since I assumed it wont work. I think I have at least a half dozen of those pumps in a box somewhere.

Well. next engine, I'll play around and see what fits and what doesnt. I dunno....for some reason "I read that it works" is not always enough for me to spend money on....LOL.. Sorry Cusser.....

Oh yeah, you might need to remove the two fuel pump studs and use bolts to use with an alternator if you want to be able to R&R the fuel pump without taking a bunch of stuff apart... Your choice.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

Buy the $25 Bocar alternator pump listed in classified and pushrod to match, what I did. That original Pierburg pictured is beautiful and great pump, but Bocar will have to suffice for my beater. However mine is stock, I don't know about dual 44 carb requirements

Last edited by mascrappo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

If you decide to go electric get a Carter P60504 and put a shutoff switch.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm
Amazon has them for $39.67 also free ship for prime membership.
Read this,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471616&highlight=electric+fuel+pump
and read this also.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pumps Reply with quote

the 3.5psi carter rotary from CB and elsewhere is a great pump! Stupid simple to install - i have mine on the pan opposite the master cylinder on the passenger side. Solid functioning units and do not need a pressure regulator. I have used mine on everything from 30pict-2's H30/31's, 34pict3, kadrons, ICT's, 45 dellortos and not once did I have a fuel pressure issue. I highly recommend them if you want to go to an electric pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: