Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Ideas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I decided that I want to make the dune buggy a semi permanent two seater so I moved the tank to the area behind the seats. Unfortunately I now have some holes that need to somehow be covered. I had considered cutting a piece of sandpaper tread and putting it over the area but then started thinking a third brake light would be nice if I could find one but enough to cover the area. I tried searching by size but can’t seem to find any sold by size. Does anyone know of a third brake light that is this large? Approx 12x5”.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any other ideas are welcome.

* please no lectures about putting the tank up front.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Not sure about big hole but the 4 small ones could be filled with "button head" screws to look like it supported something under body...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I would stroll through a wrecking yard. many trucks have roof mounted lights. Some mini-vans as well I think.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I would stroll through a wrecking yard. many trucks have roof mounted lights. Some mini-vans as well I think.

This is kind of what I was thinking. Problem is a lot of the junk yards around here won’t let you wander around them for insurance reasons. I may keep a tape measure on me and stroll through a used truck lot to see if anything measures up. I had also thought about mounting a scoop over the holes and putting an LED bar inside.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Fiberglass is VERY easy to work with.

You can take a couple of cans of expanding foam, spray it in a heap on some cardboard and then shape it when it dries. Lay some glass over the foam and when the glass dries scrape out and place the light of your choosing in it.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I like the scoop idea - I'd add LED back up lights along with a 3rd brake light. How about an VW bug engine lid license plate light? Or at least use that to mold one in fiberglass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VW-Bug-Deck-Lid-E...0005.m1851
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

If its flat there (cant tell) might get a piece of diamond plate to cover and use some nice bolts like Dale showed. But sometime diamond plate is over done on things .
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
If its flat there (cant tell) might get a piece of diamond plate to cover and use some nice bolts like Dale showed. But sometime diamond plate is over done on things .

It’s pretty curvy and not really a diamond plate fan.
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

What was there before?

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

TSFR wrote:
What was there before?

The fuel tank. Small holes were for the straps, large was for the fitting to go through. PO work, not mine.

TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

That makes sense now. Maybe if you can fab up some kind of stainless steel polished spoiler/lip that follows the existing tail? Or a new license plate bracket.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

TSFR wrote:
That makes sense now. Maybe if you can fab up some kind of stainless steel polished spoiler/lip that follows the existing tail? Or a new license plate bracket.

I had thought about a piece of stainless or aluminum as an “accent” piece. Eventual plan will be to glass it in and repaint but I’m not there and don’t like driving around with crappy looking holes in the body. Maybe I could practice my glassing skills and spray the area in a silver stripe of some sort....
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
TSFR wrote:

I had thought about a piece of stainless or aluminum as an “accent” piece. Eventual plan will be to glass it in and repaint but I’m not there and don’t like driving around with crappy looking holes in the body. Maybe I could practice my glassing skills and spray the area in a silver stripe of some sort....

That would work.... Its far enough away from flames in front so even close match of paint would be ok....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Great place for a third brake light.....get a motorcycle turn signal and you can get various color LED bulbs.....Also look at "big Rig" lighting.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

That's a nice looking buggy, I can't believe someone mounted the tank all the way in the back like that. Why not put a VW style tank under the hood where it belongs?
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Might also try to carefully 'glass in the holes, sand smooth/flush on top then cover the upper surface of the "spoiler" with a vinyl wrap material like an accent panel - carbon fiber? wood-grain?? semi-flat black?

You'd have to get the finish near "paint ready", but would avoid having to match the existing color.

Jeff
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
That's a nice looking buggy, I can't believe someone mounted the tank all the way in the back like that. Why not put a VW style tank under the hood where it belongs?

Thanks. I’ll post up some better pics soon. I’ve made some “upgrades” since these pics. As for the tank, someone glassed it in. Cutting it open would mean bodywork, paint etc. Maybe after. Year or so of having it I’ll take it off the road and redo the bodywork and paint.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Might also try to carefully 'glass in the holes, sand smooth/flush on top then cover the upper surface of the "spoiler" with a vinyl wrap material like an accent panel - carbon fiber? wood-grain?? semi-flat black?

You'd have to get the finish near "paint ready", but would avoid having to match the existing color.

Jeff

Yeah a possibility. Some form of silver or carbon fiber would be cool.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Made my roof panels out of lexan. You can heat, bend, glue, sand, and paint. I also bought 4 12"led strips off of fleabay delivered for $6.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Repair the holes properly, then carry the hood flames back over the spoiler. Anything else will look like an attempt to hide an ugly hole on an otherwise very nice buggy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: