Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Repair the holes properly, then carry the hood flames back over the spoiler. Anything else will look like an attempt to hide an ugly hole on an otherwise very nice buggy.

A full repaint isn’t an option right now.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

If this was my car I would use a brushed aluminum, stainless or even better, carbon fiber panel. Look at this https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-sheet-Instrument-Panels/dp/B00LOCH6MI

Think boats for something like this. They sell deck skid panels etc. Lots of options out there that will look good and not be a lot of work or be expensive.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
andygere wrote:
Repair the holes properly, then carry the hood flames back over the spoiler. Anything else will look like an attempt to hide an ugly hole on an otherwise very nice buggy.

You don't need a full repaint ... maybe just paint flames or stripes over the repair to match the flames on the front?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
andygere wrote:

You don't need a full repaint ... maybe just paint flames or stripes over the repair to match the flames on the front?

I mentioned stripes above. Think the quarter panel stickers on GTO Judges. With the areas being only 6” front to back flames may be hard, but an idea. I’ll have to grab some rattle can from the local FLAPs and see how close I can get. I still like the third brake light idea but not sure I trust it fabrication skills.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Look at this for an idea. https://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/19-led-reflector-...k5c3t-nHIU

They have red led bulbs for these. Have no idea on size or anything though...If you find something that covers the hole, then its a bolt on. Using the stainless button head screws to fill the 4 bolt holes will finish it up.

And look to boat lighting...There may be something there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Wonder how tacky it would look to use 3 of them....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I dunno - I think it may be a bit much. There are a LOT of different styles and sizes. Do some looking around...I just spent a couple minutes looking....I have used "big rig" stuff on other buggies and you can get real creative. Had a similar issue on our manx clone for the front turn signals. They builder had these cheap ass plastic things on and the holes were pretty far apart. I found a set of these cats eye shaped things that just made it.

Seriously the stainless button heads will look clean and correct to fill the bolt holes. Will look like they were supposed to be there.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Wonder how tacky it would look to use 3 of them....

Tacky? Maybe, I don't know, maybe not. But, if the Big Rig cab light housing mounts on flat surface while your spoiler is sort of scallop'd; that'd look tacky, though the base appears like it may be plastic. Could be filed to fit? Personally, I love chrome and would go for 3 of those. Wait, are they 5" long?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

True on the curved aspect, that may be a killer to the deal. Another thought I had was getting some pieces of wood strips and putting then across the back sort of like a smallish luggage rack. Maybe not my best idea, but could be fairly doable.. Another idea was maybe a grate of some sort, but that would involve more holes... I need to call around to some junk yards and see if any will let me spelunk around to look for something.

Maybe I could fab up some sort of snorkel air cleaner thing ala Snorkelstang.... Laughing
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I have seen where some mount a remote air filter there. Admittedly, it was mostly on offroad oriented buggies. Some looked cool.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked under harley davidson air intake, in ebay
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

I'm thinking a scoop needs to be crafted and bolted in place using the bolt holes. The scoop can be painted silver to match the front, it is far enough away that it doesn't have to be a perfect silver to appear to match.

In this photo of my old buggy you can see the scoop I made to cover previous owner hacks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The scoop was carved out of styrofoam, painted with black latex paint, then covered in several layers of fibreglass. Filling and sanding the outside is a bit of extra work that way. The upside is that you can dissolve the foam out with acetone, making it an easy lost core creation process.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Nice looking buggy EV

I was thinking something like this trimmed to fit

https://www.carid.com/paramount-automotive/air-vent-hood-scoop.html

Last edited by Sharp64 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

(Repair the holes properly, then carry the hood flames back over the spoiler. Anything else will look like an attempt to hide an ugly hole on an otherwise very nice buggy.)

I agree with this.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
(Repair the holes properly, then carry the hood flames back over the spoiler. Anything else will look like an attempt to hide an ugly hole on an otherwise very nice buggy.)

I agree with this.

Area is only 6” deep. It’s a thought but not sure its possible. It is single stage paint though I’m pretty sure. Maybe if I got it color matched I could attempt to blend it.
0BudgetProductions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Nice Bolts through the small holes as cover up
Make nice Badge and stick it over the big hole
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Your in Florida. maybe talk to someone that repairs fiberglass in boats? If its repaired nice and smooth, maybe you can add flames over it? Would the previous owner be able to tell you what the color is? Some auto paint supply places can mix colors and put in spray cans, I think they can even add hardner.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Nice looking buggy EV

Held down with some 3M mounting tape, this might be a simple, low buck solution that doesn't look bad. Run it until you have time and funds to do repair and paint work.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Your in Florida. maybe talk to someone that repairs fiberglass in boats? If its repaired nice and smooth, maybe you can add flames over it? Would the previous owner be able to tell you what the color is? Some auto paint supply places can mix colors and put in spray cans, I think they can even add hardner.

I don’t know what the PO did and didn’t do. If I had to guess he wasn’t the painter and doubt he would have any specifics. I have a paint supply place locally that will do their best to color match and they sell a compressed air system that I’ve gotten from them before but yet to mess with.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Nice looking buggy EV

Held down with some 3M mounting tape, this might be a simple, low buck solution that doesn't look bad. Run it until you have time and funds to do repair and paint work.

Time and funds aren’t really the issue it’s that I don’t feel like doing a long term project yet. I’m still getting to know the car and like to wait some time to ensure I’ve got the direction I want to go figured out. As it is, I’m waiting to get set up to weld so I can attempt some repairs and eventually make a roll cage. I also do want to eventually separate the hood and put the tank up front. After which I’ll paint it. But I know this would likely be a several month long/year project. I need a stop gap fix.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need Ideas Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
andygere wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Nice looking buggy EV

Time and funds aren’t really the issue it’s that I don’t feel like doing a long term project yet. I’m still getting to know the car and like to wait some time to ensure I’ve got the direction I want to go figured out. As it is, I’m waiting to get set up to weld so I can attempt some repairs and eventually make a roll cage. I also do want to eventually separate the hood and put the tank up front. After which I’ll paint it. But I know this would likely be a several month long/year project. I need a stop gap fix.

Do what looks good to your eye first.
Here on the Samba we have so many people with talents that they sometimes sell them self short on. One of them is body and paint. So many times I’ll read ‘just paint it”. These folks have obviously never seen me spray paint ! It’s an art form that I’m simply bad at.

I also had a rear mounted tank and the hood is glassed shut. The body was split to fit around the cage so a body off would mean massive body work. It was a clone so the big issue at what point do I just drive down to fisher and buy a new Berrian body for 2k and be done with it.

In the end I made it the best, safest buggy it could be in it’s currant configuration. I went for the dreaded ‘wrap’ to cover offending body issues and it works for me.

Scoop, lights or a tasteful patch whatever makes ya smile in the end.

Best of luck with the buggy, I’ve seen it around in the past looks cool!

AMAC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: