Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brentonodon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front Reply with quote

So when I bought Hank it had the GR2's on the front. Noticed that it was super stiff and had a tendency to bounce around any time I hit a bump and on a washboard section it was pointless. Decided to install some run of the mill Monroe shocks instead. Here are a few clips showing relative stiffness in the front given the three different setups 1-with GR2's, 2-without any shocks, 3-with the Monroe's.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, made driving around a good bit smoother. Not sure if it would hold up super well in some tougher situations but for now I'm really happy with it.

With the KYB's
https://youtu.be/o_XIKqcjbWw

Just for fun a video without shocks
https://youtu.be/q5JptK3Qbf8

With the Monroe's
https://youtu.be/e6PcHiIpt2Y
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front Reply with quote

Looks better with the Monroe shocks. Mine is very stiff with some bilstien shocks but it's mostly a desert car and has the gas tank still up front so it isn't too bad offroad but a bit stiff on the street.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front Reply with quote

I had the same conclusion after driving rails in the upper pininsula of Michigan...very rocky and rugged on the north west side. We decided we liked the super cheap lifetime warranty Gabriel shocks from autozone. Monroe is basically the same thing, cheap and pretty good if not lifetime warranty depending on where you get them. They seem to work a little better on a modified stock set up than the kyb shocks did. Not quite the same quality of build, but with a strong warranty, who cares. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front Reply with quote

Softer shocks are fine for lower speed. The faster you drive and the shorter your travel, the stiffer the shock you need. But "bouncing" the front end by pushing down on it in the garage does not accurately represent driving on a road. I used Gabriel lifetime shocks all around on my Bug back in the early 70s.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brentonodon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe vs KYB GR2 on the front Reply with quote

Agreed. Didn't think of the bouncing test as a way of telling how it will do overall, it's just the easiest side by side comparison. Currently I'm not off-roading this thing as much as I'd like so the softer front is fine for the moment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: