Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ConcreteAce's '51 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

belairman wrote:

It appears to be what was used on a 48 chevy, I believe Hampton Coach sells that material

wow good eye! after some internet perusing, it appears you're right! mystery possibly solved?
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Ethan when you are ready to tackle your interior troubles check this guy out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2122847

I know that fabric is for a Zwitter and it's only an example of what he's capable of. He is who I buy all of my period correct fabric from, his stuff seems to be spot on and he's very knowledgeable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
...check this guy out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2122847

That is exactly what my metall blau 53 oval needs. need to start saving i guess.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Good news I got the lifter out that was stuck in the bore and removed the cylinder that was stuck to the head, and without damaging anything.

Well today we made a family event of cleaning up the block and tins. I really don't see any signs that the motor has ever been rebuilt, but there does not seem to be any wear on the lifters, cam, and even the pistons and cylinders even look good. It sucks that I will have to wait for the birth certificate to come in before I will truly know if the motor is numbers matching.

I do have a question for those that know these 25hp motors. Is the manifold correct? It has no numbers stamped in it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the help of my two youngest we degreased the tins , block and heads.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

correct jacketed k manifold. that's a g note right there.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
correct jacketed k manifold. that's a g note right there.

Thanks for the confirmation !

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Another question for those that are more knowledgeable than I am are these the correct shoe boxes for a 25hp? Someone already said the heater boxes are incorrect.

I have never owned a beetle with a working heater system. I have always been into 2ltr's I am guess but are the heater boxes for a 36 or 40? Thanks again for the help.

I have the motor and tins all cleaned and packed away until I decide what to do with it. I will need another tub if the shoe boxes are correct.

I think for right now I am going to install a 36 with WW Okrasa kit on it. Mostly because that will be the cheaper avenue to go until I decide what to do about the 25H and tranny.

Now my next thing to tackle will be the lever shocks. I will more than likely send them out unless I can find out if I am able to rebuild them myself. A search earlier was really no help. Both of mine are leaky

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Your shoe boxes are correct for '48 or '49 to early '51 as they have the flaps on them. Your heater boxes are later 36 hp parts but should work with those shoe boxes if wire the flaps on the heater boxes open and utilize the flaps on the shoe boxes.

These would be the correct heater boxes for your shoe boxes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1577448

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Your shoe boxes are correct for '48 or '49 to early '51 as they have the flaps on them. Your heater boxes are later 36 hp parts but should work with those shoe boxes if wire the flaps on the heater boxes open and utilize the flaps on the shoe boxes.

These would be the correct heater boxes for your shoe boxes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1577448

Well that is good to hear one less item to secure.
Thanks for the info, the flaps are actually missing in the 36 boxes so that really makes sense now the bar is still there so someone just unbolted them. I will need to get some of those repops and add them to the pile so that I will have everything correct.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Sorry can't confirm about the heater boxes since my 51 is missing them, but would you mind sharing the cool VW logo drawing that can be seen in the pic ?

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
Another question for those that are more knowledgeable than I am are these the correct shoe boxes for a 25hp? Someone already said the heater boxes are incorrect.

The shoeboxes are correct between Jan 1949 and April 1951.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

sled wrote:
!
your speedo pod is a later replacement, not original to march of 1951.

is the car a US delivered (hoffman) car? otherwise the speedo may have been changed as well as it is a MPH speedo, and appears to be a 1950 version versus 1951. Im not sure when the speedo face changed exactly, perhaps someone else will chime in with the specific day of the change. many '50' features continued up til the end of march 51 but Im not sure that is one of them..

Hey Sled you were correct on the speedo it is a 50, I believe it says 8 of 50 on the back see picture below. Looks like my clock is not correct either it says 12 of 51. How do you know that the pod is a later replacement? What should the original look like? Thanks for your help!

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

The pod might have a date code on it's brass ground fork, right side when looking at the back. Most do, some don't. An 8.50 speedo would be too early for a '51 car so it is probably not original to the car. What month is the car again?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
The pod might have a date code on it's brass ground fork, right side when looking at the back. Most do, some don't. An 8.50 speedo would be too early for a '51 car so it is probably not original to the car. What month is the car again?

Car is a 3/51 build. I just checked the ground fork bummer no date code.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

I don't think that pod with the piggyback fuse on the back of the ignition switch came out until '52.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well by the looks of these wires I am going to have to order a new harness. I thought I would get away with just wrapping a few wires but the main wires from the front are just crumbling away.

I really did not want to spend the money on a harness right now, but there is no way I will attempt to run this car with the wire in this condition.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Very good choice/decision, you do not want to connect a battery to that wiring.[/u]

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Nice build, i bought a harness from John Henry for my 51, just installed it in my fresh painted car and the detail is spot on!
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

Well I was bound to find some rust on the old girl. Both sides near the napoleon hat are rusty. Unfortunately to fix that area correctly I need to remove the pan. That will have to wait until I blow it apart for paint. I think for right now I am going to treat the rust with ospho and fill the area with either all-metal or panel bond. This will absolutely be temporary mainly because I see no reason to pull the body off until I am ready to paint. At that time I will address the issue and fix it correctly.
At this point I now have both front and rear running gear removed from the car. My plans for the next few weeks will be to figure out a way to flush the heater channels and tunnel with a rust treatment, put a fresh coat of paint on the pans, frame horns and front bulkhead as well as the bottom of the package tray. Of course everything else will go back on with at least a fresh coat of paint.
So far besides a missing wire tube on the passenger front fender and the two areas at the napoleon hat there is no other rust repair or panel replacement needed. enjoy the photos

Beam is out

the rust......

the package tray

bulkhead area

is this the correct MC for a split or a replacement?

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ConcreteAce's '51 build Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
Ethan when you are ready to tackle your interior troubles check this guy out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2122847

I know that fabric is for a Zwitter and it's only an example of what he's capable of. He is who I buy all of my period correct fabric from, his stuff seems to be spot on and he's very knowledgeable.

His material is spot on. I have ordered his material for several splits I have restored and have not been disappointed. Currently finishing a black 52 with his material. He is very easy to deal with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: