Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I had no idea. I would have bought one for that.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It sounds to me to be the kind of car you would put the top down on in the spring and put it back up in the fall when you put it away for the winter.

Pretty much what I did from 2005 through 2014.
I had a cover that covered the interior & windshield when parked, but I always drove with the windows up.
So all 4 windows got cycled on a daily basis, I really didn't have any issues with regulators until the last few years.
I lost the front driver's side in 2016, and am losing the rear passenger side regulator now so that 3 out of 4 in 12 years.
The Top is still in good condition, I cleaned the leather, which is light tan, and it looks used, but not damaged.
I moved in 2015, so my commute is 35 miles all freeway now, doesn't support enjoyable top down driving, so the car has kind of lost its charm.
But I wouldn't dump it for $800.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan.Isdell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I knew about the transmission problem before I went to look at the car and
I did the research. Remove valve body: 1 hour, install new valve body: 1 hour, rebuilt valve body: $500-$700. Blue Book for this car:$4800!

One rear window regulator is broken, but I can leave the window up, or I can push the window down, or pull it up manually. For now, it is fine. I have previously owned one of these, and the only problems I had was the rear window regulators and a worn out clutch plate.

I loved that car, and I am certain I will love this one too!

It runs great, looks really cool, totally fun to drive, electric convertible top (not the less cool manual top, and the top is in near perfect condition). Heated leather seats, alloy wheels, and lots of goodies, and it is all in nearly new condition. Tranny shifts hard, but the repair is fairly easy (I don't even need to drop the tranny) And for those folks that don't like automatics, this is a 6-speed Tiptronic trans. designed by Porsche. It can be manually shifted for performance, and I can add paddle shifters if I change to a Porsche or Audi steering wheel.

Yes, these cars (and the Jettas and Golfs built on the same platform), have a few issues, but nothing too severe or too difficult to fix.

And it's a frickin' convertible. My first car was 69 VW convertible.
I love driving a convertible.

I was checking Craig's List for any old piece of junk that I could afford, and that was maybe near running. Instead of finding some old rusty Datsun, I found this little gem and it is awesome!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Good for you! The car does look very nice and after all what can you get for $800 these days? Lots of guys would spend that kind of money at the slots and for booze on the weekend and come home with nothing. You have a drivable car to show for your gamble and a pretty nice one to boot!

It's all in how you look at things... Cool
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Dan.Isdell wrote:
I knew about the transmission problem before I went to look at the car and
I did the research. Remove valve body: 1 hour, install new valve body: 1 hour, rebuilt valve body: $500-$700. Blue Book for this car:$4800!

One rear window regulator is broken, but I can leave the window up, or I can push the window down, or pull it up manually. For now, it is fine. I have previously owned one of these, and the only problems I had was the rear window regulators and a worn out clutch plate.

I loved that car, and I am certain I will love this one too!

It runs great, looks really cool, totally fun to drive, electric convertible top (not the less cool manual top, and the top is in near perfect condition). Heated leather seats, alloy wheels, and lots of goodies, and it is all in nearly new condition. Tranny shifts hard, but the repair is fairly easy (I don't even need to drop the tranny) And for those folks that don't like automatics, this is a 6-speed Tiptronic trans. designed by Porsche. It can be manually shifted for performance, and I can add paddle shifters if I change to a Porsche or Audi steering wheel.

Yes, these cars (and the Jettas and Golfs built on the same platform), have a few issues, but nothing too severe or too difficult to fix.

And it's a frickin' convertible. My first car was 69 VW convertible.
I love driving a convertible.

I was checking Craig's List for any old piece of junk that I could afford, and that was maybe near running. Instead of finding some old rusty Datsun, I found this little gem and it is awesome!

Congrats!
Keep us updated on the repairs Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My new $800 2004 New Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Dan.Isdell wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just bought this beauty on Craig's List for $800. (OMG! OMG! OMG) Body and interior are near perfect, lots of optional goodies. It shifts hard, but that is an easy repair. I am so frickin' psyched!!!

See ya at the shows!

Dan

Deal of the year, see this one, 2005 20K for $9971
http://www.sunnyvalevw.com/used/Volkswagen/2005-Vo...88211a.htm
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: