Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smooth Gate Experts chime in please.
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Smooth Gate Experts chime in please. Reply with quote

I bought a 62 single cab last week, and it has what appears to be an original smooth rear gate that would be off a BD single cab.

Can anyone verify for me? Unfortunately the inner part of the gate had plywood on it when I took the pictures so I've yet to pull that off to see what that looks like. Any idea on year from these pics?

If it's real, what are the values currently? More than likely will be for sale.
Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the plywood and see if the pressings are there, indicating that they have been filled with bondo. If it is a real smoothgate it's rare, but the number of people that need them is small. There has been a single smooth sidegate for sale here for a long time now and I think it is still available. It a real nice one, but people either need the set or they don't. Lucky for you it's a rear, which is likely the gate that somebody would need if theirs is smashed.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Here's one for sale in the classifieds to compare against:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=559271

That is $900. Note it has been for sale for 3 years so probably priced too high.

There was another one for $650 with No Rust in the ad text last year.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett. Were the canvas loops and hinges the same for all years split? Both my gate and the one you linked have the same amount and in the same positions.

Good to chat...it's been a long time for me. I've been intentionally out of busses for personal reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe all the hooks and their positions are identical.

My best guess is that your gate is a smooth gate one but since you said the bed is messed up in another post, it's always possible it's been filled.

That is at least the 3rd later truck I have seen with a smooth rear gate over the years.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

That is at least the 3rd later truck I have seen with a smooth rear gate over the years.

kind of makes you wonder if people driving their later trucks in the late 50's and 60's went to the junkyard to find a replacement rear gate off a BD. Or maybe fire sale at the dealership to get rid of old stock? I've seen one late truck with one smooth side gate.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Smooth Gate Experts chime in please. Reply with quote

Long overdue update:

In case anyone was wondering, it turns out the thing is just a Bondo baby. Completely filled. The gate got sideswiped when it was down by some a-hole driving by, so now I need a new one. You can see how thick it was. Lol.

Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Smooth Gate Experts chime in please. Reply with quote

I don’t understand why you couldn’t notice that from the inside of the gate
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Smooth Gate Experts chime in please. Reply with quote

Brian_Mccue wrote:

swharris wrote:
the inner part of the gate had plywood on it when I took the pictures so I've yet to pull that off to see what that looks like.

A magnet would have worked too.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Smooth Gate Experts chime in please. Reply with quote

Brian_Mccue wrote:

When I bought the truck there was plywood screwed onto the inside of the gate. It took me a bit to get to ripping it off since I had a fair amount of work to get the truck running and driving. Once I took it off it was obvious that it was just bondo. The accident happened much later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: