Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Front end Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone,
One of my resolutions this year is to Drive my bus more:) in order to do that i need to tight the front end and suspension.
I started to look around for prices and parts and i found that the price range is all over the place it is obvious that original is going to cost more than brazil,Mexico, and china. that's why i am here looking for guidance i want to it right but i don't want to get a bank loan to get it done.Any advise on brand, or a set up you have done that works for you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Looking at the pics, start with the center pin as is it loose? Install a new pin and bushings. I'd go onto the tie rods ends as those a easy to change and usually are sloppy. Check your ball joints for play and if good install new boots as those look ripped. Finally, install new front wheel bearings and set the play correctly per Bentley as wornout or loose bearings give the steering lots of slop.
After all of the new parts are installed check the steering box play and adjust it if needed.
Finally take it in and have it 4 wheel aligned properly and you should be able to drive at freeway speeds nice and straight.
If you have lots of swaying with winds look at installing better shocks and a larger front sway bar. Are you tires 8 ply rated with stiffer sidewalls?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Thanks Bleyseng,
Right now the steering have a 4 to 6 inch play i will follow your recommendations by starting with the center pin. I am going to replace ball joints. the tires are shoot 8 ply means stiffer sidewalls? sway bar need to be thicker or longer bar.
Sorry for my ignorance but by asking here is how i been able to move forward on my bus repairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Nakata makes good front end parts. I’m currently using their ball joint and tie rods. I’ve had no issues and I’m happy with them. Athough I’m using a Febi drag link I know plenty of people using Nakata ones with no issues. I used two left tie rods which makes both sides adjustable. You may also have to adjust your steering box and an alignment will be necessary as stated above. Correct 8 ply C rated ties will also improve the handling. I find the stock sway bar to be adequate but you should change out the bushings.

There are many options on this forum about ball joints. Some complain that certain brands are to tight. Mine were tight right after installation but loosened up quickly. A nice long drive on dirt roads helps with the loosening.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

You can easily remove and check your steering damper (Bentley Front Axel 9.3).

Also if your steering coupling disc at the bottom of the steering column is cracked or crumbly it will add some play (Bentley Front Axel 9.12).

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Nakata makes good front end parts. I’m currently using their ball joint and tie rods. I’ve had no issues and I’m happy with them. Athough I’m using a Febi drag link I know plenty of people using Nakata ones with no issues. I used two left tie rods which makes both sides adjustable. You may also have to adjust your steering box and an alignment will be necessary as stated above. Correct 8 ply C rated ties will also improve the handling. I find the stock sway bar to be adequate but you should change out the bushings.

There are many options on this forum about ball joints. Some complain that certain brands are to tight. Mine were tight right after installation but loosened up quickly. A nice long drive on dirt roads helps with the loosening.

Good luck!

Thanks, I like the dirt road idea...
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:

Also if your steering coupling disc at the bottom of the steering column is cracked or crumbly it will add some play (Bentley Front Axel 9.12).

I should purchase Bentley asap.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
BayCreamPuff wrote:

I should purchase Bentley asap.

You absolutely should, and in the meantime read the PDF online. Do a google search for "bentley vw bus manual pdf"

The front HD sway bar upgrade is nice. Goes from about 1/2" to 7/8" thickness and makes taking corners at speed a little less terrifying.

Good overview from ratwell: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SwayBars.html

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Also in terms of diagnosing the culprit(s), nothing beats getting someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the bus looking at how everything responds.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

When someone else is rocking the wheel place your fingers across every joint in turn as one's fingers can pickup slop in a suspension part that the eyes can not see.

I think from this point on, I will use a Split Window center link kit that requires the bushings to be reamed after being installed. The Bay kit is kind of one size fits all and leaves the bushing with slop in them.
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Halloo, I have a 1979 Doka Bay wiith a lot of play and I mean a lot of play! I have replaced prety much all link parts from the steering box back and had a full wheel set with alignment etc. My question is are all steering boxes adjustable to eliminate free play?
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Since i will be under the bus i want it to clean up the bottom of the floor, it can use a good sanding and paint, Should i take the whole front end frame down to get into the tight corners.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

HELP!!!!
i am having a hard time getting the top arm out, it feels like there is a lot of pressure even after i remove the rubber bump. I look around here but i can find nothing on how to remove it.Can someone please shine the light and help me keep on moving forward.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Lift the arm slightly with a jack and then bars and a big hammer.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

is not going to spin out of control and cut my arm?
Ok is will do it slowly.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
is not going to spin out of control and cut my arm?
Ok is will do it slowly.

Just beat the arm out to the point it can drop down and then remove the jack. Even if you don't use the jack the arm will not drop very far as it clears the mount.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

I got it... thanks so much. i sure there is a post about greasing the axle somewhere in here, the grease smell old.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Here a thread that REALLY helped me out:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Here is some very useful information related to your project... these parts are from my purchase from Bus Depot:

Front Sway Bar Mount Kit - 211498101A2 - $29.95

Camber Nut For Ball Joint - J16938 - $13.95

Suspension Stop - 211401253 - $6.95

Lock Plate - 211401279 - $5.95

Ball Joint - 211405371A - $19.95

Collar - 211415601B - $11.95

Swing Lever Shaft Kit - 211498171A - $34.95

Steering Tie Rod Assembly With Ends - 211415802F - $37.95

Drag Link - 211415701G - $59.24

Tie Rod End - 311415812CMY - $11.08

Tie Rod End - 311415811CMY - $11.50

Steering stabilizer 211 425 021A

VW Tool 459 was ordered from:

SBS Kenosha, A Division of IDSC Holdings

1 (800) 892 9650

Bearing Installer/Ball Joint/Bushing Part Number MWGVW459
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

that's a lot of good information thanks .tomorrow i do the other side and go from there.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Well, I am halfway there>>>
Thank you all for your help and for future help.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: