Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Ya know, I hear there's this new fangled thing called "go fund me"! I've heard it's proven to be quite successful for other VW lifestyle enthusiasts! Maybe find a Millennial who can help you get started and set up! Laughing LMAO!

I came here checking to see what Kent's bus Chloe was up to these days, and here I am accused of being one of those "Millenial Types…" Laughing

You'll all thank me when I'm making GoFundMe pages for traveling VW hippes by day and fixing their Volkswagens for cash/product placement on the side. So what if I can code CSS as long as I can troubleshoot their no-start, right? Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Robbie stopped by yesterday along with cv66seabear (also named Kent, which indicates a sign of incredible intelligence:-). Kent66 wanted to learn about fuel injection function and troubleshooting along with a few other items. Luckily, Robbie selected Chloe to be the test subject for instructional purposes.

I say "luckily" because Chloe has been sluggish and slow starting lately, due to (I suspected) incorrect dwell, which I seem to be incapable of dialing in correctly. And when we all were going to lunch, Chloe decided this would be a good time to not start at all. With a quick check, Dr Robbie discovered the points were charred. That was probably due to the massive oil leak I had from the leaking oil pressure switch, with oil getting everywhere, including inside the distributor somehow.

So switched out the points with a new set from Napa, set the dwell (found out my dwell meter has a short which stalls the engine) and timing, and we were off to Smokin' Burgers for lunch. Changing the points and dwell transformed Chloe into her previous well running condition, and she's as good as new.

Overall, it was a fun day spent wrenching and working with an old friend and with a new old friend. Thanks for the experience, guys! Now the old girl is ready for Buses by the Bridge. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Are you leaking from the actual component or under it from the threads?.

Have you thought about the 42draftdesign relocator kit or equivallent?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy I thought you had replaced the oil sender with a remote base using a grease gun hose Surprised - I was looking for a "longevity report".

As the "H&A" temp motor is going to get that set up until a sponsor is found--

Also - thanks for the door clips- they will look great.

We are getting ready for BBB but unless this cough lightens up and I can get some work done, I maybe back in the truck.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Robbie - I got your text asking how to 'prove you aren't a Millennial'

My unpaid intern will reply for me when he figures out how to make a latte without soy.

The Prosecution Rests.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Damn you Kent and Robbie.
It was -6* yesterday.
I can't get shit done !

Jealousy is a nasty bitch.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
It was -6* yesterday.
I can't get shit done !

Feel free to bring Murphy and Big Emma over anytime. It was 80 here yesterday afternoon.
(Rubbing salt in wounds is a bitch, too, eh? Wink )

AeroSurfer: The sender was leaking out the component. Replacing it solved the problem.
But I'll be cleaning oil out of crevices until the next engine pull, I'm sure.

williamM wrote:
Very Happy I thought you had replaced the oil sender with a remote base using a grease gun hose Surprised - I was looking for a "longevity report".

As the "H&A" temp motor is going to get that set up until a sponsor is found--

Also - thanks for the door clips- they will look great.

We are getting ready for BBB but unless this cough lightens up and I can get some work done, I maybe back in the truck.

I didn't feel comfortable using unproven hose for it. So I just stuck the new sender in the original hole.

Glad you're able to use the door panel clips. And, yeah, get better so we can cruise up to BBB!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
It was -6* yesterday.
I can't get shit done !

For anything but solid lifter valve adjustments, you can fire up the engine,
warm the oil & then work through the engine access hatch on your oil
leaks & such. Instant space heater.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Ahh... that would be great - except for the fact that the engine for my bus is sitting in my garage and the rest of it is elsewhere.

I don't even have Bid Emma to mess with. She is getting some cosmetic surgery for the next few weeks.

I can't wait to get back at it...... x2.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I had postponed some minor upgrades for the past few months due to... well, just feeling lazy. And now I want to go to Buses By the Bridge in a week, so I got off my lazy butt and started accomplishing a few things.

A couple months ago, I bought new battery cables from WolfWest. And finally got around to installing them this week. (With a minor glitch that was posted in the Stupid Question thread. Rolling Eyes )

And I'm surprised how much easier it is to start in the morning! Even though all the connections had been clean and tight, the new cables made a huge difference. What used to take four long key turns to start on a cool morning, now starts after about four revolutions, and on the first turn of the key. That's gotta help the ignition system last longer, right? I had planned on re-installing the hot start relay, but I don't think it's necessary now. But I will replace the transmission ground strap. Someday.

Yesterday was a pretty nice day, maybe in the mid-70s, so I decided to give Chloe another test run up highway 62 toward Joshua Tree. She's running great again, so we're heading to BBB in a few days! Planning on leaving Friday morning, so hope to see some fellow Sambanistas there!

---WildIdea

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Quote:
I had planned on re-installing the hot start relay, but I don't think it's necessary now. But I will replace the transmission ground s

‘ cause you fixed it, instead of foxtrotted it

Very Happy
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Get rid of the old man FI and get you some dual IDFs! All your problems will magically disappear. Hope to see you at BBB.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Get rid of the old man FI and get you some dual IDFs! All your problems will magically disappear.

I can't believe that advice like this is free on the internet! Wink
(sold - but not forgotten)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
CarlosZ wrote:
Get rid of the old man FI and get you some dual IDFs! All your problems will magically disappear.

I can't believe that advice like this is free on the internet! Wink

Any idea how many cheeseburgers one could buy for the price of a duel IDF setup? Me neither; I don’t want heart disease.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

[quote="asiab3"][quote="BUSBOSS"][quote="CarlosZ"]Get rid of the old man FI and get you some dual IDFs!

Any idea how many cheeseburgers one could buy for the price of a duel IDF setup?

sounds like Ron White asking any idea how many bouncer it would take to throw me out of this bar??? NO- but I knew how many they were gonna use.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Get rid of the old man FI and get you some dual IDFs! All your problems will magically disappear. Hope to see you at BBB.

Thanks for the sage advice, CarlosZ. But I think I'll stick with my old man FI and let you young bucks deal with those smog generators. Razz

Hope to run into you at BBB! Just look for the big yellow pop top... and the Dia de los Muertos curtains. Cool

---WildIdea

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
I had planned on re-installing the hot start relay, but I don't think it's necessary now. But I will replace the transmission ground s

‘ cause you fixed it, instead of foxtrotted it

Very Happy

X100

I also installed the Wolfsburg West new battery cables. I cleaned the ground strap to the transmission to like new condition and all the posts on the starter, etc..

HUGE difference in how much quicker the starter spins.. HUGE. Best cheap money I spent.

NONE of my VW's use a band-aid hot start relay. I've never suffered a burned up starter switch either in decades of VW ownership. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

That's good to know, Bill. It didn't seem logical that VW would have designed something that couldn't handle the load. And it's true, as long as parts are properly maintained.

Previously, I assumed the hard start issue was due to not having a functioning cold start valve. It is not connected to either the fuel rail or to the harness, so currently its sole function is to plug the hole in the throttle body.

So sometime clean, bright, shiny metal isn't good enough for a secure electrical connection. I'm guessing there was degradation in one or both of the cables over the years. Plus the clamps to the battery posts are much more robust than the old ones; that may have helped too.

Whatever the reason, I'm jazzed that she's running so well again. (I know, Robbie... I just jinxed it.) Laughing

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Robbie - I got your text asking how to 'prove you aren't a Millennial'

My unpaid intern will reply for me when he figures out how to make a latte without soy.

The Prosecution Rests.

That was dirty, I hope the dairy and cream creates some hella gas steam... Cool

Kent, no more lazy. More worky, I need someone to share tales of BBB

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Kent, no more lazy. More worky, I need someone to share tales of BBB

It's just a short little jaunt from Arkansas to Arizona, right?
C'mon over, and we'll create tales ourselves.
I'll even make the half-caff/non-fat/double shot/low foam macchiato for ya! Dancing

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 57

Jump to: