Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold paint
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

In reading other threads, many people suggested using New Ford Grey as the color. I used that (500 degrees), but feel it is a little darker than pictures I’ve seen. So decided, I would go with Rustoleum High Heat Uktra silver (1200 degrees.

I have thought about using a paint stripper to remove the gray if 500 degrees was too low. It would appear that the main heat source is the heat riser.

Question: is 500 degrees satisfactory for the intake and heat riser? And is there any reason I could not overspray the gray?

Thanks, in advance for your help.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Fortunately, or unfortunately, it’s too cold to paint right now, but I would like to know, so I can proceed when it warms up.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

I typically use the New Ford Grey on the manifolds and it burns off the heat risers in fairly short order.
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Have you tried a higher temp heat? I don’t want to go thru the effort, just to have it burn off. Hard to believe that the *500 degree limit is exceeded.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
Have you tried a higher temp heat? I don’t want to go thru the effort, just to have it burn off. Hard to believe that the *500 degree limit is exceeded.

The heat risers see close to exhaust temperatures, temperatures that greatly exceed 500°F
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

VHT Flameproof paint claims to withstand up to 2000 degrees, but I have no experience with it.
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

I just bought some Rustoleum High Temp Ultra, that says good to 1200. Shows a bbq cooker on the label. Guess I’ll have to strip the Gray off the heat risers. The rest should be ok with 500degree?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The heat risers see close to exhaust temperatures, temperatures that greatly exceed 500°F

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. Here are a couple of thoughts that are rattling around:

The oil will boil at around 550°F, no? Typical oil temperature is 180°F-220°F, so says my gauge. From what I've read that's the usual zone.

Typical CHT gauge reading is between 300°F and 350°F, I've read.

The engine temperature can vary greatly, by even 200%, depending on where you measure it. I bet the intake side doesn't get over 500°. I wonder if there's someone with a thermometer that could make an empirical measurement.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

I will take one tomorrow. I know my stock '74 muffler runs less than 500°F.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

I was able to lay my hands on an infrared thermometer today and poked around a hot engine. I have dual carbs and no heat risers so that number is not directly translatable to the OP's situation, but here's what I got:

Intake manifold ~155°F
Exhaust pipe at the number 2 cylinder ~455°

That was the hottest part on the motor.

I've never used an infrared thermometer before and I know there are some caveats. I would be interested to know what Al comes up with.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
I was able to lay my hands on an infrared thermometer today and poked around a hot engine. I have dual carbs and no heat risers so that number is not directly translatable to the OP's situation, but here's what I got:

Intake manifold ~155°F
Exhaust pipe at the number 2 cylinder ~455°

That was the hottest part on the motor.

I've never used an infrared thermometer before and I know there are some caveats. I would be interested to know what Al comes up with.

That would be at idle so the temperatures would be far less than what one would see wound out in third pulling an 8% grade. On a working engine the temperature is probably in the 1000°F range.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

I checked this morning with the infrared thermometer and got about the same results as the Captain. The hottest the preheat piping got was 300°F. Up by the carb it was about 150°F. My muffler did get to 515°. I have my intake painted with the Ford grey and it is fine. The Ford grey on the exhaust is flaked off from too much heat. The Ford grey on the heat exchangers is also fine. The test was performed after a run thru the neighborhood.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
I checked this morning with the infrared thermometer and got about the same results as the Captain. The hottest the preheat piping got was 300°F. Up by the carb it was about 150°F. My muffler did get to 515°. I have my intake painted with the Ford grey and it is fine. The Ford grey on the exhaust is flaked off from too much heat. The Ford grey on the heat exchangers is also fine. The test was performed after a run thru the neighborhood.

Install a pyrometer and get back to us. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

An EGT probe, a CHT sensor, and an infrared thermometer all qualify as pyrometers. I would submit that of the three, for the purpose of evaluating the temperature of a surface that is to be painted, the EGT is the least suitable.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

You might consider (brake) caliper paint. Comes in a variety of colors. I use it on brake drums and rotors.

Max
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
An EGT probe, a CHT sensor, and an infrared thermometer all qualify as pyrometers. I would submit that of the three, for the purpose of evaluating the temperature of a surface that is to be painted, the EGT is the least suitable.

A CHT sensor reads the temperature of the metal of the head, which is affected by the cooling system and the cold intake charge, while a hand held IR thermometer can not be used to read the temperature of the exhaust while under load unless you strap yourself to the bumper. An EGT probe and gauge setup tells you the temperature of the exhaust gases which are the very gases that run through the heat risers, so is the heat sensing system that gives the best idea of what the temperatures near the ends of the risers are. Take the EGT and subtract maybe 200°F and you should have a pretty good idea as to the hottest temps the heat riser will see.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
A CHT sensor reads the temperature of the metal of the head, which is affected by the cooling system and the cold intake charge, while a hand held IR thermometer can not be used to read the temperature . . . blah blah blah

Whatever dude.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
A CHT sensor reads the temperature of the metal of the head, which is affected by the cooling system and the cold intake charge, while a hand held IR thermometer can not be used to read the temperature . . . blah blah blah

Whatever dude.

Since you seem to enjoy being wrong, have a nice day. Wink
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

The Ford grey paint has been on my intake for over 3 yrs and it's still there.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold paint Reply with quote

Good to know. I assume thT also includes the heat riser?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: