Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Have a few posts in the Vanagon section, but might be my first here.

Daughter borrowed van for concert in Vancouver BC. Van was in a parking garage, the drive side slider window was smashed and all personal contents stolen. The gals failed to hide anything of value apparently, but other cars were broken into as well, with US plates.
Even if they stashed stuff under the rear seat, every storage area was pilfered.

Wondering how hard it would be to find a drivers side rear slider right behind driver seat or will I just have deal with an auto-glass type establishment.

Thanks for any thoughts or insight.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Hey Carter, its Mark McAtee. Lame you got busted into... If you're up for a run to Auburn there's a guy there with a back yard full of eurovans and pretty good prices. I don't recall his name although I can give you his number; you could text him a picture of the window you need to see if he has it.

I also saw that http://www.absolutegerman.com/ is parting out at least one eurovan right now.
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
Could you pm the guys number?
I remember some guy in Renton who dealt Vanagon stuff, probably not the same guy?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

His name is Peter.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
His name is Peter.

hah, you beat me to it. I texted him this morning to remind me of his name.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

His son came over a couple days ago to pick up the old beat up front bumper support from my van. I traded it to him for a couple small trim pieces I needed. If it weren't pouring down raining when I went over there, I'd of stuck around to look at more of his vans. He's says he has a 2.5 TDI

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
His son came over a couple days ago to pick up the old beat up front bumper support from my van. I traded it to him for a couple small trim pieces I needed. If it weren't pouring down raining when I went over there, I'd of stuck around to look at more of his vans. He's says he has a 2.5 TDI

He does have the 2.5 tdi. He started it for me the first time i came over after he saw my 1.9tdi swap. He's using it as a work van as it was stuff to the gills with paint and construction supplies. I'll remember to bring over some possible trade items to him when I head down there again. Need a couple of interior items for #2 1.9tdi swap.

Next time look for the stretched van body, and a factory attachment for GL vans that lays out a bed platform over the forward folding seats. I'm certain they are still there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, much appreciated, I'll give him a call.
Not sure if I'd be able to pry off my own window without damaging stuff if I bring tools. Suppose he might know how to do it.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

carter turk wrote:
Not sure if I'd be able to pry off my own window without damaging stuff if I bring tools. Suppose he might know how to do it.

The sliding window assembly is bolted on. Once the delicate trim is removed, you’ll see the nuts.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
carter turk wrote:

The sliding window assembly is bolted on. Once the delicate trim is removed, you’ll see the nuts.

Good point, I did replace the whole window assembly on the slider door of my van. Peter in auburn actually helped me with this.
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

Yes, I took off the trim panels and noticed the bolts. Still having difficulty getting to the three bolts on the lower panel, I removed all panel screws and pop out table, feel like there's still something holding it in place, aside from the metal frame lip under the window. Peter told I just need to shove it up some more.

Apparently there are several configurations of glass on the side window.
Mine is a three piece with screen in the front, his were all half sliders with no screen. I picked one up anyway since I was going to the Seahawks game and live 120 miles away. Appears there's no caulk holding the window in, just some mesh black athletic tape surrounding the perimeter and the plastic bolts?

Thanks for the reples and advice.
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Weekender slider window theft damage Reply with quote

New used window is in, but getting to the 3 lower bolts was a chore.
Not sure what the proper "panel removal" technique is, but the two metal clips and the three plastic panel bobbins in their slotted home, were causing the most grief.

The body panel refused to come off until I removed the hinges for the table and the bolts holding the table arm near the floor. I suppose I didn't need to take the whole panel off, but one the yellow bobbins fell down in to the abyss. I failed to reattach table arm near the floor before putting panel and all the trim back on. No room to attach table arm bolt with the dinky little window and there's plastic reinforcement for the panel pockets, so the bolt can't slide to the side.
I figured out an alternatiive, but some plastic trimming was required.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: