Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I am thinking about reproducing these. They will not be like the originals with the bale for an original speaker as I think most people would consider those speakers worthless. These will be set up so that you could mount a modern dual voice coil speaker of your choice in the stock location. Which would be limited to a couple of choices in terms of size. Retrosound now produces excellent speakers for this application but does not make the mounting plates for Early and Late Bays. It’s my understanding that these speakers and mounting plates were a rare option that very few Buses had or still have. I have to look into the cost of producing these because there is quite a bit involved in doing so. I am just wondering if there is a market for them.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I'd buy one
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Count me in for one as well.
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicterri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I'd be interested
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

you mean this one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Yes that’s the bracket. Minus the 70’s speaker. The new speakers can handle 100 watts and are dual voice coil.
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I’d be interested in the bracket. I put my door cards back together and installed new kick plates - no holes for speakers. I’m planning to install an old AM/FM radio and use in the in-dash speaker spot. I’ll probably need the bracket to do so.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I'd be interested too, for my '78

Thinking of mounting a midtone speaker there and voice coils on the door for better front sound balance. - The thought of a high pitch shrill or screech bouncing off the windshield and into the face doesn't seem appealing somehow. Confused

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Here's what we did for a Retrosound dash speaker install in a 1978.

Father Son Restoration
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Yes that’s the bracket. Minus the 70’s speaker. The new speakers can handle 100 watts and are dual voice coil.

you made an assumption without knowing what the picture actually is. It is a professionally re-coned speaker mounted in a standard bay speaker plate, and wired like the originals in case someone wants to put a stock radio in. BTW - dual voice coil speakers sound like mud. What you need it so make a plate that handles dual speakers.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Im in for one.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I'd be in for one as well.

Thanks
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

+1 here
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
...What you need it so make a plate that handles dual speakers.

I like this idea, too
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I have no idea what you guys are taking about. Does someone have a picture of this installed?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I have no idea what you guys are taking about. Does someone have a picture of this installed?

that unexplainable screw hole in the dead center of your dash between the vents closest to the windshield hold the speaker in place. the rubber bushings get wedged on the shelf where the dash pad and dash face meet up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

that unexplainable screw hole in the dead center of your dash between the vents closest to the windshield hold the speaker in place. the rubber bushings get wedged on the shelf where the dash pad and dash face meet up

Thanks! It didn't even phase me to think that mounting a speaker there required anything special.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

Like this?
The two rubber bumper feet slip under those metal tabs on the underside of the dash, the screw holds the other end.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

The OG speaker with mounting spacer
g plate

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

A couple more pics of the mounting plate after I first got it

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: