Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ideas PLEASE!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rafa65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1965 baja bug which needs a good amount of work, I am looking for ideas on how I should tackle this. She has the 1600cc engine so how could I improve power? What's the best suspension and any other ideas will help thank you!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

Something that will help a LOT is showing us what you have and telling us what your plans for the car are. You ask a VERY vague question that we could answer in many ways.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

First get the engine to top shape, tune up and fix oil leaks...then get the brake system a thorough going over...replace dated brake hoses as money is available. ..then check the shifter bushing and shift coupler. ..and check the condition of the clutch and throttle cables. ...once these important items are done first you will enjoy the baja that much more. ..then you can start to improve engine power, better shocks and cosmetics as you enjoy your dependable new baja...enjoy!

VeeWeeman Cool
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

A stock 1600 engine will drive the car fast enough to kill yourself in it. But will not be highly inclined to break other components such as the gearbox. I recommend playing with it for a while to get familiar with it and to decide what you want to do with it.If you're looking for a road rocket...there are far better cars than Baja Bugs. If you want to go places the road rockets cannot even dream of going, then the Baja Bug is your solution.

Developing a plan is the most important 1st step in deciding what to do to the car. And that plan can only be devised from knowledge of what you want to do with it. And trying it out is an important early step in figuring out what you want to do with it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

Developing a plan is the most important 1st step in deciding what to do to the car. And that plan can only be devised from knowledge of what you want to do with it. And trying it out is an important early step in figuring out what you want to do with it.

Applause Applause Knowledge is power, I couldn't have said it better myself Applause Applause

VeeWeeman Cool
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

Rafa65 wrote:
I recently bought a 1965 baja bug which needs a good amount of work, I am looking for ideas on how I should tackle this. She has the 1600cc engine so how could I improve power? What's the best suspension and any other ideas will help thank you!

I think a 1965 baja bug converted to an IRS rear suspension with a 1600cc engine would be a great combination.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas PLEASE! Reply with quote

Im wondering the similar thing but for an irs car.

Definitely convert to IRS,
Whats going to be the cheapest way for him to get the most travel/best suspension guys?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: