Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

Hi All,

Admittedly I am just plain ignorant when it comes to offset, back spacing and the like. With that said, I have a Manx wannabe built on a 1961 swing axle chassis. Empi disk brake conversion on both front and back. The rotors have a typical Chevy 5 lug pattern.
My questions are, would I be ok with 15x8 in the back and 15x6 in the front? The rears have a 4" back space while the fronts have s 3.5" back space. All have 0.00 offset. I was thinking of 265/275's on the rear, with maybe 195 or so on the fronts.
Please, any opinions, comments, suggestions are welcome.

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem.

on or off-road shouldn't matter either except the tire height of the front and rear. 195s on the front with 3.5 back space may hit the fender edge unless it is raised.

Is it street legal? Do your wheels/tires have to be inside the fender?

Off road can be like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On road like this:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

I have 295/60/15’s on the back of my buggy with 15x10’s. Front is 195/60/14’s on 14x6’s. I’m all the way down on an adjustable front and with 400lbs of meat puppet in the cockpit I have zero rub. In fact I’m buying dropped spindles to bring the front end down more. I do have to add that I don’t have a fuel tank up front so that may be effecting my height.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

With Empi disc brakes you will get a minimum of 1/2 inch positive offset each side on width which is something I forgot about when buying my front discs and wheels.

The rears discs set my offset about the same as drums with an adapter.

That said you need to check your clearance which will depend on if you have a 66 and earlier transmission or a 67-68 swing or 69 up IRS.
The 67-68 swingaxle has a longer axle and puts the wheels out a bit more from the swingarm plates.

I run a Weld Draglite on front and back with a lot of backspace. I'm not sure what the rears are but the fronts are 5 inch wide with 3.5 inch backspace.
There is plenty of clearance with 185/60-15 tires and they could go in at least 2 inches more I would think.

With my 8 inch wide Weld wheels and 275/60-15 tires I have about an inch of clearance with my 67 swingaxle.

Here you can see the clearance left.

Nicely tucked under the body...

Fronts

They still stick out an inch or so but I have the max backspace and negatice offset I can get with that size wheel.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936

Last edited by clonebug on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

Thanks to all that have replied so far.

Clonebug, especially thanks because you have been there with the Empi brakes. I have one of those A0, NOT AO, transaxles. From what I have read, probably a '68. It does have long axles. Yes, a swing.

Thanks again,

Leyton
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tires, offset, oh my Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Thanks to all that have replied so far.

Clonebug, especially thanks because you have been there with the Empi brakes. I have one of those A0, NOT AO, transaxles. From what I have read, probably a '68. It does have long axles. Yes, a swing.

Thanks again,

Leyton

I have a 68 as a spare. They came with a 4 lug drum whereas the 67 had the wide 5 lug drum. The outer axle housing will be the same length but the splined area on the 68 is longer than the 67 due to the difference in the drums.
Make sure you order the correct kit for the 68 because the rotors will be different to make up for the longer axle spline. Otherwise you will have to use a hardened spacer to make it work.
Better to have the correct rotors.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: