Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you help me ID these taillights
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Looking to change my current taillights. The PO put some Maverick taillights. They look OK but have some damage to the bezel. Also some big holes
To get them mounted. For reference here are the current taillights....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am looking to get something like this.....

Can anyone help to ID these taillights?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Trailer..

They don't look OEM.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Pinto and Maverick are the same. Top one is what is currently in the buggy.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Trailer..

They don't look OEM.

Is there OEM when it relates to buggies? Lol. I would prefer some nice early beetle tails but the PO put some large holes to get the current ones installed and I’d rather not add fiberglass/paint work to the ToDo list. Also I don’t know what the color is to paint match any repairs. I thought those flush mount ones would require the least amount of work, and look decent enough to me till I save some pennies for a repair and repaint.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

These are from a '59 El Camino. They finally wore out (cracked and faded lens where the lights are) I wanted them with the chrome bezel we had in '69 and my dad painted them yellow in '99 and I finally found a replacement last year on ebay. Pretty close to what you're looking for except not flat...you could try 3d printing flat ones with clear filament...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Here is a possibility to consider:

Get your early beetle tail lights and mount them where you think they need to be.

Take some Masonite or another smooth surfaced sheeting and make "plugs" for the areas left open by the change in tail lights.

Then find something that you can apply over the surface that incorporates the tail lights...it could be simple applied graphics or even rubber..cut up floor mats even.

You get the tail lights you want now.

You haven't put much effort into a cosmetic workaround.

And you haven't monkeyed up the back of the car with more holes to adapt something larger than the existing holes.

When you are ready to apply fiberglass repairs, you can easily tear that stuff off. You've already got your tail lights where you want them so all you need to fab are the patches.

Kick it around. You might come up with something interesting and easy.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

There are a LOT of options out there. Look at trailer, big rig and boating sites as well as numerous LED lighting sites. Figure out your size limitations based on damage and start from there. Obviously you need to take into account the functions of your tail lights and make sure the replacements will do what you need. for example, your tail lights may have 3 separate bulbs, where most LED fixtures have one or two functions....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

prkid424 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Trailer..

They don't look OEM.

Is there OEM when it relates to buggies? Lol.

Pretty certain Glenn meant they aren’t original equipment for ANY manufacturer. As in they are some sort of aftermarket light that would have been placed on trailers, marine or some other use. Not that they aren’t VW or original to the Buggy manufacturer.

Personally I think the lights you have are cool. Maybe look for repops?

An alternate might be early (69) Camaro tailights. Flip them upside down and they would flow with the body lines and look nostalgic and you can probably pick up repops for a decent price.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
prkid424 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Trailer..

They don't look OEM.

Pretty certain Glenn meant they aren’t original equipment for ANY manufacturer. As in they are some sort of aftermarket light that would have been placed on trailers, marine or some other use. Not that they aren’t VW or original to the Buggy manufacturer.

Correct Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can you help me ID these taillights Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
prkid424 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Trailer..

They don't look OEM.

Correct Wink

Agree...I would rather have early style beetle tails on this...

wythac had a great idea that I am pondering upon so I will noodle that some more before making any final decision
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: