Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: turn signal Reply with quote

I have a 79 super vert and a wanting to get rid of the turn lights on the fenders. My question is if I get LED turn signal lights to put by the headlights do I need to change anything ese as far as wiring and turn signal lever or can I just hook up the new lights to the existing wiring. Thank you this is a great knowledgeable sight.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

Your turn signal assemblies are more than just turn signals.... they also function as parking lights. You should be able to find dual function lights that will do both of these functions....

Without looking, I don't know how many wires go to your turn signals...Check your wiring diagram or maybe someone else knows for sure.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

I also believe that if you switch to LED turn signal lights, you'll have to change the flasher relay for one that works with LED's.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply's. what do people suggest for this? I like the rossi lights but they are for early models. an all in one would be perfect.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

There are a lot of LED options out there which can be pretty small. Various headlights with additional lights built in (halo, etc). Bumper mounts, etc. Have seen several 50's cars with one or more small LEDs just mounted near the headlights in the fenders....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

I like my turn signal parking lamp indicators on the fenders as the light signature is unique to the VW. Add to that the fog lamps that I use fro DRL=daytime running lamps.
Honestly I would leave them on the fenders.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

Shaved is a nice look IMHO particulary on later cars where the light assembly is so huge.. But you want it consistent with the rest of the car If everything else is bone stock, then no...But if you are lowering, and cleaning up trim etc then its can work really well. I am sure there are lots of images if cars with this done. Just do some looking around.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

There will be a hole in your fender if you remove the lights.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

Another option is headlights with "city lights" in them. These use H4 halogen bulbs for the headlights and another lamp in the headlight bucket for running/daytime lights. There are even versions of these headlights with headlights, city lights and turn signals or fog lamps.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7596%2DPR
http://www.eisparts.com/EIS-251.html

The downside of these lights... with the headlights ON they are so bright you cannot actually see the other lights. So parking and turn signals in the headlights become useless. If you state is strict on having visible parking/turn signals at night these may not work for you.

As mentioned, LED turn signal lamps will require either an LED compatible flasher relay (eg. EP-35 generic part#) or inline resistors to increase the resistance of the LED bulbs so they are more like 21W bulbs like stock. Most LED lamps only draw 2W which is much too little to run the flasher relays. Stock flasher relays require at least 2x21W (42W or more) to properly flash. Less wattage (lower resistance) and the flasher relay will think one of the bulbs has burnt out and will likely "quick flash" as a way to notify the driver one of the bulbs is out.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

Yep, been down similar roads several times: as 'ashman40' states, at nighttime, the turn-signals will be completely lost in the glare of the headlights, as if you had none anyway.

I often wonder if other drivers are paying attention to my signal intentions, but I can think of at least a few scenarios where I do hope they're seeing my front blinker lights.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Your turn signal assemblies are more than just turn signals.... they also function as parking lights.

Here is a pic of the underside of the front parking/turn signal assemblies:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@OP, you can see the dual-filament contacts at the front and a single filament connection in the middle. The lower wattage filaments (front and middle) are the parking/marker lights. The brighter (front) 21W filament is the turn signal. If you are getting rid of the light assembly from the top of the fenders, what are your ideas for parking/turn signal lights? Putting front mounted lights means drivers to your sides may not see you are indicating a turn.

toddsyn wrote:
I like the rossi lights but they are for early models. an all in one would be perfect.

It is possible to install early-style Rossi-style lights on your SB... if you are willing to replace the front fenders....
http://www.creativecarcraft.com/super.htm
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
toddsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal Reply with quote

thank you again for all of your reply's. I was looking at a torpedo/watermelon light that sticks out about 3 inches from the fender. it's a round conical led light that is amber. it has 3 inputs also. thinking of mounting it below the headlight and a little toward the center where it is flat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: