Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Third Brake light
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Applause
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Third Brake Light Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Third Brake Light Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

My only concern is, without a gasket, the light will reflect off of the rear glass and light up the interior of the vehicle every time you apply the brakes. That's what has stopped me from mounting a third brake light on the rear of the head-banger.

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Third Brake Light Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:

My only concern is, without a gasket, the light will reflect off of the rear glass and light up the interior of the vehicle every time you apply the brakes. That's what has stopped me from mounting a third brake light on the rear of the head-banger.

Interesting thought.

The GoWesty one is one of the best purchases I've made for my bus. Installs clean, it's cheap, and it noticeably increased following distance of those behind me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Third Brake Light Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
1977_L63H_P27 wrote:

Interesting thought.

The GoWesty one is one of the best purchases I've made for my bus. Installs clean, it's cheap, and it noticeably increased following distance of those behind me.

Well, then you'd easily know if your brake light switches were working!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Third Brake Light Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:

So why not a gasket? If the light is within 1/2" of the glass.....

The gasket can be on the inside of the glass, not on the light. Nice thick foam weatherstripping ought to do. it can pass by the light rather than hitting it.

I'd prefer a light on the glass. Then I don't bang it when I'm carrying material or crawling in and out the back.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Third Brake light Reply with quote

Rear "STOP" light...
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Third Brake light Reply with quote

Here is what I ended up using...

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Third Brake light Reply with quote

Nice STOP light..where did you purchase it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Do you have any photos of yours mounted on your bus?

Yes - took some today. Had to use a piece of cardboard to shield the sunlight to reduce glare and reflections. This light has been on my bus now for about 5 or 6 years. Its hard to see in these pics, but I would estimate the angle of the light lens is about 1 or 2 degrees below horizontal. The combination of the very slight "rake" of the rear VW hatch window (2 or 3 degrees? from vertical) offsets some of the angle of the lens in the Hella light. There's a couple more pics in my gallery of the light that I didn't post here.

I really like the overall look of this. I've gotten rear-ended TWICE in the last few months by distracted drivers. City life!! "Luckily" I was in my daily driver and not the bus but now I'm paranoid about getting hit in the bus come spring time Rolling Eyes d'oh!

Is Daniel Stern still selling these lights? If he is, I'm assuming the one above is model is #38 on his website?
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Third Brake light Reply with quote

I had found a vintage cats-eye brand light on eBay and modified it a bit to mount up on my rack. Ran the wire down into the engine vent on the drivers side to a terminal block for easy removal if the rack ever comes off. Had to test the wires at the master cylinder to see which one to tap off of. I had tried tapping into the wires at the rear of the bus a couple years ago and got the flashing issue with the signals on.

Works great, but I might end up chroming the ring that goes around the lense for a cleaner look. Maybe even add a "STOP" lense if I can find one cheap enough.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: