Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
SGKent wrote:
silver solder new posts on.

Is it really possable to silver solder aluminum? Got a video of that so us solderally inept people can try that?

mine was made of chrome plated steel not aluminum.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
solderally inept

LOL, nice!
Most of mine are aluminum too, I did replace a stud on one by drilling it and installing a long countersunk 3/32" aircraft rivet (glued in with end sticking out the back), after some sanding and polishing you really had to look hard for the rivet head on the outer face. You better be confident with your countersink for this job, I used a microstop and a rivet shaver after (aircraft tools).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:
solderally inept

LOL, nice!
Most of mine are aluminum too, I did replace a stud on one by drilling it and installing a long countersunk 3/32" aircraft rivet (glued in with end sticking out the back), after some sanding and polishing you really had to look hard for the rivet head on the outer face. You better be confident with your countersink for this job, I used a microstop and a rivet shaver after (aircraft tools).

Well, yeah it is quite funny Laughing I only say that because Im dam good at soldering......regular wires, copper. Tried soldering some broken fins back on my heads because someone suggested to go get the mig aluminum wire lowes sells and just run that through your mig welder. Worked about as well as duct taping them back on. Soldering aluminum is a whole different ball game. even tried to use the mapp torch while practicing on some lowes aluminum. Ended up just making a mess out of it. Just might try the alumalloy stuff harbor freight sells but not sure if a regular mapp gass plumbing torch would work, as I dont have the oxy/ acetalyne setup.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:
solderally inept

LOL, nice!

Well, yeah it is quite funny Laughing I only say that because Im dam good at soldering......regular wires, copper. Tried soldering some broken fins back on my heads because someone suggested to go get the mig aluminum wire lowes sells and just run that through your mig welder. Worked about as well as duct taping them back on. Soldering aluminum is a whole different ball game. even tried to use the mapp torch while practicing on some lowes aluminum. Ended up just making a mess out of it. Just might try the alumalloy stuff harbor freight sells but not sure if a regular mapp gass plumbing torch would work, as I dont have the oxy/ acetalyne setup.

As I indicated, my 1971 deluxe sunroof had a steel and chrome emblem. I am sure I could have found a way to put pins onto it if need be and I could not find one with pins - probably drill them on a drill press with an end mill and then fit new pins. I had a good friend who was a machinist who did that small stuff for me all the time, however here is a solder that indicates it will do what you are asking about.

Aluminum
TO
Aluminum or Copper Al 802 Flux Cored Aluminum High strength,low temperature solder for joining aluminum to aluminum and aluminum to copper. Easy to use, contains a non-corrosive flux.

http://www.silfos.com/htmdocs/product_support/alloy_selection_guide.html
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

Sorry to ask y'all to be my search engine, but I have a 73 Bay Window Bus where the PO/restorer covered over the holes for the emblems both front and back.

I would prefer not to re-drill them at this point. I recall that some vendor or person offers SS or aluminum scripts for the back that do not have the studs and already have the emblem tape on them. I cannot find this entity now.

Does anyone know?

steve
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

Just attach the emblems with clear RTV. It holds on forever, does not require holes, and is hardly noticeable.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

I am on year 5 of clear silicone.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

I would use RTV or silicone but I cannot find a script that does NOT have the studs. I hate buy one and have to grind them off.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
I would use RTV or silicone but I cannot find a script that does NOT have the studs. I hate buy one and have to grind them off.

If the door still has the stud holes and the script still has the studs it’s perfect. Use clear rtv on the script, slide the studs into the holes, and then use tape to hold the script in place for several hours. Perfectly aligned and will stay in place a very long time.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

FWIW... this is how the 'automatic' emblem is attached to my 1973 bus. The emblem pins are held captive by rubber lugs:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

Emblems with missing studs are easy to find, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Some emblem attachment tape and an Xacto knife seems like the simple solution.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

No, when repainting the bus, the PO filled the holes for the emblems both in the front and the back.

I will look around for the script without the studs. I still remember a site that sold SS or aluminum ones with the tape already installed, and no studs. Should have bookmarked that!

steve
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7871774&highlight=#7871774
robinclwch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

Hi, how do you take the script off? I can see 4 rubber pieces on the inside but I don’t want to force anything in case it breaks, thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: attaching "Volkswagen" script to rear hatch Reply with quote

robinclwch wrote:
Hi, how do you take the script off? I can see 4 rubber pieces on the inside but I don’t want to force anything in case it breaks, thanks.

Welcome!
Those are one way push clips, if you twist them while pulling away you can usually get them to thread off the stud, but occasionally they just turn and turn, that requires cutting them away a bit at a time with a dremel.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: