Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Daddylolo wrote:
Quote:
Sure you don't have a mouse nest over top of the cooler? Remove the wire from the #4 plug and use a mirror and light to inspect the top of the cooler. If your thermostat flaps are not working correct, that will cause the oil to run hot as well. If the little spring near where the cable hooks up is broken the flaps will not return to the normal running position but will continue to block the flow of air through the cooler.

Well Wildthings, you got it right. I don't remember where I got that thing that flaps should be set with the engine cool. I just found out that with the engine at about 80 C there is a gap on the oil cooler flap of about 8mm. As some parts are not new and where worn out with the years, even if they still function (thermostat and flap) I believe the best way to set flaps is the way I've done: with the engine hot. This way maximum air goes to the oil cooler when it is most needed. Smile

Want to make sure you are doing this right, you definitely want to check the little lever the cable connects to when the engine is hot. The lever should be in a vertical position and the cable have little or no tension on it. If you are seeing that the forward (towards the front of the car) end of the left flap is raised a bit when the engine is hot then the thermostat is out of adjustment and the cable needs to be loosened.
sdmanzor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i know this is an old thread, but I am looking for info about turning a ´72 type 4 from 1700cc to 2000cc. Did you do the work on yours? I´m having some incompatibility issues with the new parts I got (new pistons with the original connecting rods).
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I'm no expert on 1.7- 2.0L conversion, but the balance pad at the top of the
1.7 & 1800cc rod WILL be the blockage in that attempt without genuine
2.0L factory rods. (no balance pad!), + do remember the extra punch comes from the smaller crankpin, so the 1.7 66mm stroke is expanded to 71mm
with a 5mm smaller offset big end. The 1.7 crank can be offset ground to
run 2.0L bearings, now you need the actual 2.0L rods, or aftermarket set
at $350./per set of four.
EDIT: AA Pistons sells 96mm piston/cylinder kits that work with 1.7/1.8 rods,
they are listed under 1.7/1.8 96mm P&Ls.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
2.0L factory rods. (no balance pad!), + do remember the extra punch comes from the smaller crankpin, so the 1.7 66mm stroke is expanded to 71mm

A little more information:

You need 2.0 rods. The difference as noted is more than just the balance pad. The crank pin as noted is smaller....so the 1.7/1.8 Rod cannot be converted.

Also...just get a 2.0 crank. Having the 1.7/1.8 crank offset ground...also grinds through all of the case hardening on the rod journals.

That last option sounds interesting...going up in piston diameter to 96mm. While still not a 2.0 and you will have to have your heads flycut to fit...it may be an interesting engine....a 1911 I think?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

You need 2.0 rods. The difference as noted is more than just the balance pad. The crank pin as noted is smaller....so the 1.7/1.8 Rod cannot be converted.

Also...just get a 2.0 crank. Having the 1.7/1.8 crank offset ground...also grinds through all of the case hardening on the rod journals.

That last option sounds interesting...going up in piston diameter to 96mm. While still not a 2.0 and you will have to have your heads flycut to fit...it may be an interesting engine....a 1911 I think?
Ray

We're running the AA 96mm pistons & barrels in our 1800 type 4, brings it out to 1915cc and its a very nice, driveable motor. We used the 1.8 (66mm stroke) crankshaft and matching con rods, which we had weight matched.

With 34 ICT's we're making 96 bhp at the flywheel when rolling road tuned.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

Ray

We're running the AA 96mm pistons & barrels in our 1800 type 4, brings it out to 1915cc and its a very nice, driveable motor. We used the 1.8 (66mm stroke) crankshaft and matching con rods, which we had weight matched.

With 34 ICT's we're making 96 bhp at the flywheel when rolling road tuned.

Over the years I always thought about building one like that....because it would be dirt simple for a power bump....but I never did build one. Nice hear! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdmanzor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

Finally, we decided to go with the original 1.7 pistons/cylinders. But let me tell you the story, may be useful for somebody.

-We tried the QSC 94mm-71mm and we found out that the pistons didn't have enough room for the rod, so the holes to insert the pins didn´t alighned correctly.

-We cut the rods! Sounds terrifying but we did it: 5mm (5g) / each. These are the type of rods that have a protuberance on the top, right after the hole for the pin. All this without taking apart the case.

-When we put the cylinders and pistons (now they fit), we realized that the pistons were too short, so the length of the rods was not enough for the piston to cover all the way to the end of the cylinder. Even though, we were missing 5 mm of coverage, the new volume was still more than 1.7, in the order of 1.8-1.9cc

-Here is when we decided to go simple with the original. The heads didn't fit.

I know it might sound super obvious, but all the resources we read made us believe that this change could be possible without machining anything else (the pistons, rings and cylinders came in ready to slip in).

I was told you can still do it with 92mm pistons and aim to 1.9cc aprox, but I am not sure. When we measured the head holes with a caliper I noticed that there was no room for a wider diameter than 90 mm. The only way could be to make the walls of the cylinder thinner, right? The 96mm option sounds interesting but maybe for a future project. Now we need to get this car across the country.

I read this forum until page 16 and when I came back to this page, I was very surprise of all the responses to my post. Thank you guys! Let´s keep this forum alive.
johnfenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I just bought a 1974 Kombi for $2000. The catch was that the motor was in 3 large boxes. Some of that tin is hard to figure out but it is all finally back in one piece. And your diagrams were the key ingredient. Thank you so much for all the time and effort that has gone into this page..

You're a legend Mate!
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

just wanted to say thanks for this thread! been looking at getting a bus but was wanting one with the fuel injection and this whole thread has answered a bunch of questions i had! thanks everyone!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Bought myself a sand blast cabinet recently to clean up my rusty and corroded engine parts. Only problem is, they do such a good job that once you clean up one part, you just can't stop. Very Happy Here's where I finally did stop:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted to add this to the type 4 engine thread to share a valuable lesson I've learned over the years about metal prep and re-paint:

Use Phosphoric acid on steel parts prior to prime/paint. The purpose is to neutralize rust, but I'm pretty sure the phosphate coating it leaves behind is pretty amazing at preventing future rust. I've thoroughly cleaned and painted parts before (without the phosphoric acid treatment) and rust always seems to come back though, but here's an example of 7 year old body rust repair to show the difference. Both areas were sanded down to shiny (but pitted) metal. I used a product called PH-Ospho-ric Plus on this area, prior to body filler to cover the pitting, epoxy primer, and final finish. Years later, no issues with the paint. To use the Acid, just brush it on and wipe it off with a paper towel. The shiny metal immediately turns a dull grey and any rust pits will turn black overnight.

The same type of damage was repaired on another area, but I ran out of phosphoric acid and got impatient. This area got sanded to shiny metal, (with some pitting left), pitting was leveled with body filler, then epoxy primer, and final finish. I was pretty sure I got rid of every last spec of rust, but this still happened.

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Is there a thread with info on what motors mate best with what transmissions? After reading some of these more experienced builders and bus owners, it seems that tossing a type 4 onto whatever trans came in the bus doest really work out.

Like my situation for instance. Guy finally gets a bus, engine has been pulled, trans "looks" like it was OEM to the bus. I source a few engines but all three are different CC's and production years. How would I figure out (other than R&D real life experience) what engine is best paired with what trans?
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
Is there a thread with info on what motors mate best with what transmissions? After reading some of these more experienced builders and bus owners, it seems that tossing a type 4 onto whatever trans came in the bus doest really work out.

Like my situation for instance. Guy finally gets a bus, engine has been pulled, trans "looks" like it was OEM to the bus. I source a few engines but all three are different CC's and production years. How would I figure out (other than R&D real life experience) what engine is best paired with what trans?

First you have to define "best." I am guessing that you mean shorter term as in easiest and least costly to put in, rather than which engine and trans will I be happiest with in the long run.

The easiest and least costly is usually to inventory what you have. When you can't test drive a car you don't really even know if what you have is good. That said, look for the code on the trans and how many ribs on top. That will tell you what it is. Then you can decide if that is what came with the bus and go on from there.

Tcash wrote:
Trans Code Location:

KrAzY-BaJa wrote:
Gears & years

http://irelandaircooled wrote:

TRANSMISSION CODES
AA 1200 4.375 from chassis No 0 981 810
AB 1300 4.375 Up to 8/70
AC 1500 4.125 Also some 1300 from 8/70
AD 1200 4.375 Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
AE 1300 4.375 Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
AF 1500 4.125 LSD up to 8/70; also some 1300 from 8/70
AG 1200 4.375 Type 147 (Fridolin)
AH 1500 4.125 IRS suspension from 8/68
AH 1600 4.125 8/69-8/72
AK 1500 3.875 Type 181 Trekker up to 8/70
AK 1600 3.875 Type 181 Trekker from 8/70
AL 1500 3.875 Type 181 with LSD to 8/70
AL 1600 3.875 Type 181 with LSD from 8/70
AM 1300 4.375 Saloon and Cabrio from 8/70
AN 1600 3.875 Karmann Ghia IRS from 8/70
AO 1600 3.875 Karmann Ghia from 8/70
AP 1300 4.375 LSD from 8/70
AQ 1600 4.125 LSD 8/70-8/72
AR 1600 3.875 K-Ghia LSD from 8/70
AS 1600 3.875 Type 1 from 8/72
AT 1600 3.875 1303S and Cabrio from 8/72
AU 1600 3.875 Ditto with LSD
BA 1300 4.375 Semi-auto from 8/68-8/70
BA 1500 4.375 Semi-auto from 8/68-8/70
BC 1300 4.375 Ditto with LSD
BC 1500 4.375 Ditto with LSD
BE 1600 4.125 Semi-auto from 8/70-8/71
BF 1600 4.125 Ditto with LSD
BG 1300 4.125 K-Ghia semi-auto from 8/70
BH 1300 4.125 Ditto with LSD
BJ 1300 4.375 Semi-auto from 8/70
BK 1300 4.375 Ditto with LSD
DA 1500 4.125 Type 3 swing-axle to 8/68*
DA 1600 4.125 Type 3 swing-axle to 8/68*
DB 1500 4.125 Ditto with LSD*
DB 1600 4.125 Ditto with LSD*
DC 1500 4.125 Type 3 with IRS from 8/68
DC 1600 4.125 Type 3 with IRS from 8/68
DD 1500 4.125 Ditto with LSD
DD 1600 4.125 Ditto with LSD

*Note that reinforced swing-axle design was available on
post 8/68 Type 3 models as an option (M263)

Quote:

http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/sandlizrd.baja.com/gears.htm

David
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=113852

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Catalogues/ETKA_VW_Transmission_Codes.pdf

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Transaxle.htm

Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

First you have to define "best."

Holy awesomeness! Thanks for those and all the fun studying I get to do now!

In my meaning of “best,” I was looking for what engine and trans paired together have the “best” mechanical lifespan. I don’t want to dive into building one of the engines I have and come to find that the XX case doesn’t match well with the gearing of the XXX trans. I don’t want to wear out one of those components because the other is being outperformed due to the other underperforming? Hope that makes sense... I wasn’t clear in that “best” meaning before, my bad.
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I ran for years with a stock 6 rip and a slightly upgraded 1800 engine. Good combo in my mind. You can of course use a 6 rip with a 2.0L as per '76 and later vehicles. I have not run a 6 rib with a 1700 but would think that it wouldn't have enough torque to be able to push a vehicle well.

On the other end of the scale, I doubt a 2.0L engine would be all that great with a 3 or 5 rib tranny if you intended to drive at 65 or above very much.

I now have a worn stock 1800 and run it in conjunction with a three rib with a longer than stock 4th, it seems to be okay, but doesn't like running at 75 as per my old setup.

Mating engines and trannies is pretty subjective, each to their own. Wink
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The easiest and least costly is usually to inventory what you have. When you can't test drive a car you don't really even know if what you have is good. That said, look for the code on the trans and how many ribs on top. That will tell you what it is.

So here is what I’ve collected so far. Bottom left engine is a GE, top left is an AW, and bottom right is a CB with heads. I have a fan shroud matching the AW case, and an extra GD fan shroud. Any time I see something VW Bus or Type 4 craigslist ad pop up, I buy the lot. So these are all parts I’ve gathered up so far.

These are the only numbers I can find (right now) on the trans. The bus was moved to my new place and I don’t have a jack, stands, or a lift here yet so I can only crawl so far, and reach random photo positions lol

I’m happy to start building whatever engine would best fit that trans! I’d like to run dual carbs, and I have no issues spending good money on top of the line parts. I’ve got 3 bug motors too and if anyone is in the Spokane Washington area, I’m happy to trade parts for help!

Almost forgot, these parts were dropped off in a garbage sack after I moved into town. Almost threw them away until I heard the metal clinking around. Are these type 4 parts?

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Nice collection.
What Wildthings mentioned is a nice swift VW bus engine/ trans combo.
The earlier AW engine, with slightly bigger intake valves works well with
an 091 box, which is the one you have an image of. Ditto for dual carbs as well,
1800cc pistons (the actual size is 1795cc I believe) 93mm diameter.(work with 091)
Those final pieces are ducting for heat exchangers, through the tin to air
hoses linked to engine compartment fan, ducted forward under the chassis.
The lump second from the right is a charcoal canister.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:

So here is what I’ve collected so far. Bottom left engine is a GE, top left is an AW, and bottom right is a CB with heads. I have a fan shroud matching the AW case, and an extra GD fan shroud. Any time I see something VW Bus or Type 4 craigslist ad pop up, I buy the lot. So these are all parts I’ve gathered up so far.

Welcome, you should start a build thread and introduce yourself.

You need the Bentley repair manual
https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Station-Wagon-Service-Manual/dp/0837616352

Tom Wilson, rebuild VW engines
https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Wilson-Rebuild-Aircooled-Engines/dp/B00HTJO8JE

Open and save these parts manuals to your computer.
Thnx to jersey
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html
Thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche.html

There is lots more, I can dump in your thread. If you choose to start one.

Good luck
Tcash
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Welcome, you should start a build thread and introduce yourself.

You need the Bentley repair manual
https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Station-Wagon-Service-Manual/dp/0837616352

Tom Wilson, rebuild VW engines GOT IT!
https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Wilson-Rebuild-Aircooled-Engines/dp/B00HTJO8JE

Open and save these parts manuals to your computer.SAVED IT!
Thnx to jersey
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html
Thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche.html

There is lots more, I can dump in your thread. If you choose to start one.I think you have!

Good luck
Tcash

My thread. A little bare right now just because life happens Very Happy But finally found a house with a big shop! Sorry for cluttering this up, just trying to get a pre-project idea of what I need to get sorted so when I get power ran to the shop, I can start right up!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
McMadden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I'm Posting these photos to get some guidance on why there are spacers between my engine and transmission.

I'm currently restoring my first manx (clone). When separating the engine from the transmission I noticed these spacers which alarmed me because it leaves significant gaps around the engine/trans.
I'm told the engine is a 1974 Porche type 4, the registration says 1969 for the buggy. I'll post the SN for both the trans and engine in the photos below.
Does anyone know whats going on here? Is there some sort of bellhousing spacer available to do this correctly?

Thank you!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Has the input shaft been shortened? If not then they may have used the spacers to keep it for bottoming out in the gland nut.

Maybe there was a clearance problem getting the clutch and flywheel you have to work with the Bug transmission.

You can see that the starter drive teeth have only been running along about 1/2 if the length of the teeth on the ring gear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: