Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

Hi there!

Last edited by sd73vdub on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

I don't think you're gonna like the answers you get here, Mark. So be prepared for some brutal honesty.

If it were my bus, I'd either part it out or else list it for a few hundred dollars on The Samba. That thing is way far gone, and even if you were a mechanic, there's no way to do the required work while living in an apartment.

Cut your losses and run.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

crusher bait

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

That rust has nothing to do with living near the ocean, the damage was done in the rain forest.

As Kent says, it is a rust bucket which you should drive for utility not for resale or restoration.

The 25000 estimate is accurate.

No, you can't do this yourself

Cue the Bears.
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I don't think you're gonna like the answers you get here, Mark. So be prepared for some brutal honesty.

If it were my bus, I'd either part it out or else list it for a few hundred dollars on The Samba. That thing is way far gone, and even if you were a mechanic, there's no way to do the required work while living in an apartment.

Cut your losses and run.

Appreciate the honesty, and I understand completely. I was mostly thinking this may be the response but was trying to remain hopeful:)...thanks!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Yea, I think $25k is about the minimum for a proper restoration.
I can't tell much from the pictures, but the interior doesn't look too bad.

Let us know what you decide to do with the bus.
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Yea, I think $25k is about the minimum for a proper restoration.
I can't tell much from the pictures, but the interior doesn't look too bad.

Let us know what you decide to do with the bus.

Will do. $25k is crazy, albeit I understand. I'm NOT spending that much $ that's for sure. I believe the other prior responses, but just outta curiosity, what would something like mine be worth fully restored? I am under the understanding the "traditional" tops vs this one which was converted to the "camper" style roof (by Volkers) command more $, but what if this was converted to the traditional top while restoring? (again I guess it's "too far gone" as stated prior, but just curious). Lastly, what might the parts be worth?

PS the interior really IS solid
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Check out the classified section. Not the same years.. but I just searched high.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2124641

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2109509
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That rust has nothing to do with living near the ocean, the damage was done in the rain forest.

As Kent says, it is a rust bucket which you should drive for utility not for resale or restoration.

The 25000 estimate is accurate.

No, you can't do this yourself

Cue the Bears.

I have lived in Oregon for nearly 40 years and seen very little rust, even in vehicles with several inches of moss on the roof. Nice pure rainwater just doesn't cause much rust. In contrast a few days of camping in the salt spray from the ocean will bring out seam rust, and a couple of years of parking near the ocean will turn a nice older rig into a worthless pile of rust.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Now, there ya go putting words in my mouth, Abs. I implied it was a rust bucket, but was too much of a gentleman to use that term. Cool

Abscate wrote:
Cue the Bears.

Yup, the bears are appropriate in this situation. I miss those fuzzy lil guys. They haven't been around in a while.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
... Cue the Bears.

Link

Aloha
tp
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

We’re those pictures taken in OB near dog beach?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Abscate wrote:
... Cue the Bears.

Link

Aloha
tp

LMAO
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

sd73vdub wrote:
... LMAO

Glad you could see the humor. IMO the rust is too far gone for any repair or restoration. Areomech is near you and I would take it to him for an assessment on engine condition and expected longevity. If the engine is good then I would buy a lot of Ospho and cheap brushes and hit the rust. Then prime and paint it with the leftover brushes. You can kill a lot of the rust and drive and enjoy it before parting it out or sending it to the crusher.

Search Rolling on the Tremclad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Aloha
tp
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

I met a guy recently who bought a 1965 split bus back around September I think. There’s a lot of rust but the bus drives good. He decided to live with the rust and patina and just enjoy it. He said he and his girlfriend just returned from a 1500 mile trip and will soon be headed to the big bus meet in Arizona. I think he made a good decision.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Post removed at OP's request
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat

Last edited by aeromech on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I met a guy recently who bought a 1965 split bus back around September I think. There’s a lot of rust but the bus drives good. He decided to live with the rust and patina and just enjoy it. He said he and his girlfriend just returned from a 1500 mile trip and will soon be headed to the big bus meet in Arizona. I think he made a good decision.

to your prior question...quite possibly;)

thats awesome about that couple. yeah the prior couple who owned this one took solid care of keeping it running as you can imagine, being they were traveling A LOT in other countries. Too bad all the rust in the actual body w mine, it's negligible in the undercarriage, and almost nonexistent in the floorboard, which I think is most important.
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
sd73vdub wrote:
... LMAO

Glad you could see the humor. IMO the rust is too far gone for any repair or restoration. Areomech is near you and I would take it to him for an assessment on engine condition and expected longevity. If the engine is good then I would buy a lot of Ospho and cheap brushes and hit the rust. Then prime and paint it with the leftover brushes. You can kill a lot of the rust and drive and enjoy it before parting it out or sending it to the crusher.

Aloha
tp

I thought it was hilarious, love those types of videos. I will chat w aeromech some more, messaged him already.
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
sd73vdub wrote:
... LMAO

Oh wow! shitty, but stops the rust LOL. Not a bad idea. I was speaking in person w a few body shop and or restore places today and one of them mentioned Bullit, I believe it was? I wrote it down just dont have in front of me. I'll look into the Ospho as well.
Thanks Tom!

Aloha
tp
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

On the positives you are in Bus heaven, so you can find a dry Bus with a bad engine and get a driver together cheap, without traveling too far , where you are! This is the place to get help on sorting the engine and mechanicals out.

Good luck and dont forget pictures. We don't have enough Bays with Huskies in them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: