Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tips before pulling transmission from 2002
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I assume he's referencing where the solenoids stick out of the upper timing cover. You'll want to check under the bracket that holds the phasers to see if the oil screen is coming loose. I had to surgically cut mine away from the oval seal 'cause it was starting to break away.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I assume he's referencing where the solenoids stick out of the upper timing cover. You'll want to check under the bracket that holds the phasers to see if the oil screen is coming loose. I had to surgically cut mine away from the oval seal 'cause it was starting to break away.

So are you "screenless" now?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Yes. I have pics in my "darkside" thread, or in the gallery. Somewhere Cole posted a pic of that screen jammed into one of the solenoids, which is what I was trying to avoid by removing it.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

We've got a stripped oil drain plug from the Previous owner!

Any ideas on repair, or does anyone happen to have a spare oil pan for a 2002?
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Yes, the screen in behind the phaser/soleniod should at least inspected. I don't think its a replaceable part, I can check for a PN.

The oil drain plug in the cast aluminum oil pan, yeah, if your the one who's gonna be changing the oil, repair it. If you like most others, go to a oil change place, they will leave you stranded. My opinion is to just replace the pan.

I'll also get you the PN's for the seals I mentioned.

Well, what do the sprockets look like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Here is a closer look at the intermediate gear. Looks pretty good to me for having 206,000 miles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Bull shit! Get those out of there!

Look closely at the teeth on the cam drive gear and intermediate sprocket. Every other tooth is wearing. Think of what motorcycle sprockets look like when they're worn out. Now you could advance the sprockets but again you better know what your doing. Just replace them both and the bolt.

I've got s few part numbers for you if you needed them. They might not be the most latest revision but are good.

Phaser seals/gasket. 066 109 091 A. Qty2
Rear main seal. 021 103 051 C. Don't use the teflon seal, use the old spring typ
Phaser seal rings. 066 109 345 A. Qty6 If you R&I the screen.
Intermediate sprocket bolt. N 102 038 03
Phaser bolts. N 104 883 02. Qty2
"Upper guide" on phaser assembly. 066 109 514
Both counter shaft sprockets. 066 109 570, 021 109 569
Kombi/water pipe gasket. 022 131 120 B
Intake gasket. 022 133 227 A
Down pipe to Cat gasket. 1H0 253 115.

Hopefully some of this will be helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Ah, ok.

They looked polished to me but didn't really look shaped. When I think motor cycle sprockets or bicycle sprockets they are no longer symmetrical "shark tooth", these just looked polished to me but I this is the first timing chain I've seen since my 1989 Toyota pickup back in the late 90's so I don't really have a point of reference, hence my posting it up here.

And thank you for the part numbers too!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I'll be curious to see them side by side with the new sprockets. To my eyes they seem to look fine, but my only experience with timing chains is on Mercedes diesels, and they're double row and never wear the teeth as far as I'm aware.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Here's a zoomed in view of the same image

markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

This is what I had in mind for a worn timing gear which is drastically different than ours. (Credit to Westy-Werks were I found this image)

xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on these or claim to be an expert at anything, but since you asked for help on here, I'm just offering what I'd do if it were mine.

Look close at your picture of the sprockets. Right by the part number 066 109, you can see the part of the inner link and its roller make contact. See the 066, that tip is still good, the one to the left of it is the worn tip of the sprocket. You can see the wear and how it ramps down then rolls all the way up the tooth.
Same for the other sprocket, see the roller and inner links where it makes contact, same thing. Even if you didn't change them, one of the tips could break off, weakening it further. The last van I did chains on had two teeth tips missing.
It had 80K miles since it had them replaced last. It can happen.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
I'm not an expert on these or claim to be an expert at anything, but since you asked for help on here, I'm just offering what I'd do if it were mine.

Look close at your picture of the sprockets. Right by the part number 066 109, you can see the part of the inner link and its roller make contact. See the 066, that tip is still good, the one to the left of it is the worn tip of the sprocket. You can see the wear and how it ramps down then rolls all the way up the tooth.
Same for the other sprocket, see the roller and inner links where it makes contact, same thing. Even if you didn't change them, one of the tips could break off, weakening it further. The last van I did chains on had two teeth tips missing.
It had 80K miles since it had them replaced last. It can happen.

Your input is much appreciated, I see ECS has the pair of sprockets for $95 which seems wise since it’s a $5000 job for the average person.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

We've seen cole's video where he has a solenoid removed and talks about the screen but... I don't see a screen or know where to look and we broke the solenoid removing it: PISS! it separated while removing.

The dealer is telling us the two solenoids are different part numbers for the intake vs the exhaust but the valve doesn't have these numbers on it.

066 906 455 F (intake)
066 906 455 G (exhaust)

Is the upper left one, closest to the intake cam the "intake solenoid"?

Any suggestions on sourcing a replacement for this upper solenoid since the part numbers on it don't match the etka part numbers?

Also, the dealer was zero help with the oring seals on the solenoid as far as they were concerned, they don't exist. Even after asking them about part number (Phaser seal rings. 066 109 345 A.) What a pain in the arse; we were hoping to put it back together and now were on a time delay looking for a replacement solenoid.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

The solenoids "broke" on mine too. I simply re-attached them and they've been working just fine over the last seven months or so. The oval seal and screen sit on the back side of the solenoid bracket.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm not sure if ours can be reused but we'll take another look.

Did you replace your o-rings? the dealer was less than helpful even with us providing the part number xavior12 posted.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

No, I just cleaned them up and then applied some Hylomar to help them maintain seal. No problems since.

My solenoids snapped off the aluminum nubs holding them to the bracket. I of course freaked out, but since the solenoids are also bolted on, there's apparently no issue with these nubs being missing.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if an oil pan from the vr6 12-valve will fit on a vr6 24 valve.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

Assuming the donor is also from an EV, then I don't see why not.

y u rune klassik?
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: tips before pulling transmission from 2002 Reply with quote

I think they're different.

12V is metal and differently shaped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: