Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Your seats look like a pro did them! Nice work. I also love your attention to detail to REALLY clean all the crap, old glue, etc from under them. I hate looking at threads like this and people do a half ass job. You clearly didn't and it looks great.

Thank you!
Yeah, so I know this isn’t mind blowing stuff I’m wrestling with, we’ve all seen late bay Westys getting worked on here, but I’m taking pleasure working on her and think its fun to relive here.

Some of these fixes I’m doing aren’t in the order of importance, but in the ‘order of inspiration’, which for me can be just as important to keep me stoked. Something with a big visual never hurts.

I know that gas tank is calling......
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Kevin came by the other morning and brought a replacement OG pop top locking mechanism with him. Mine was broken and needed swapped out. We ripped out the papery brittle canvas while we were at it. He wanted to take the rear benches home with him too as the yardage and foam had come in. My Dad came and helped me take them out before hand. Dad and I also snatched the headbanger and closet and his extra hands were key to not wrecking the headbanger when the last bolts came free. All this interior needs reworked, so why not get some time in those on bad weather days?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We also looked into the steering column and it all looked to be there, whew. His thoughts were it was likely taken apart to service a faulty washer mechanism, turn signal or horn button and never put back together. Im not sure, its just nice to have that back on so I can keep track of the parts better.

This odd bolt was laying around and looking it up in the Bently I think it goes in a hole under the steering wheel on the column, but my year isn't showcased well in that manual, the Haines book shows a bolt (black dot on the vague print photo) going in the hole and I try it and it goes in so I'm thinking its a securing lug of sorts. Over all, this model rear is great for wiring harnesses and its set up with white plastic odd shaped blocks that only marry together one way. Cool, thats what a NewB like me needs right now.

Kevin pops out the belt line dent with his puller and we fill it up with some epoxy and he asks me what my plans are for this area. I say, it needs a little more filler and texture, but I plan to artistically paint it like matching rust with my enamel model paints. He stands back and gives a somewhat approving 'hmmmm' look. Listen, Im into refreshing this bus in a lot of ways but Im not planning on touching this OG paint at all, its a prize to me. I have a real rust spot on a side marker and my intention is to stabilize it and repaint it with faux-tina instead of repainting as a touch up just looks muddy and gaudy. I don't think a touch of rust looks bad on these busses at all. The small rock chips and dents are its character and I don't want to worry everytime I get a tree branch drag or another door ding.

I wire wheel the surface rust on front drip line and follow the Por-15 directions for pre treatment and paint just the very edge where the weatherstripping will go for the front glass.

While I'm at it I do the battery trays and get more Por-15 in those areas.
Dang, I vote Por-15 the best Dread starter ever!! Love, Hate this stuff.. Twisted Evil

A pretty good day! Wedged between all the normal weekend duties of lawn care and homework, etc. You know the drill. Marching forward though. At this point I'm starting to get hell bent for a bus. I'm starting to feel like all the other duties I've been handling the last 20 years can wait just a minute, this bus is happening now or never. I know I have hundreds of hours ahead, but if I knock out one or two here, there and maybe a blitz on the weekend, I know I'll get there.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Pressing on, Im starting to fit some of the easy Bus Depot items and cleaning every nook and cranny I can get to.

I call it VOLKSCLEANING!

The front bumper license plate holes are drilled crooked by some PO and being I'm not wanting to drill new ones on this old bumper, Im just gonna go without a front plate so thats gone now.

My headliner at the front of the bus has detached and sat limp for who knows how long. I had braced it with a 2x4 for a week or so to train it back into shape but it still needed a screw. This is the first screw I drilled in the body, but I think it was warranted.

I bought a snap setting die and snaps and used the body side snaps that will eventually go with my privacy curtain, which was found in the headbanger, bonus!

I get after the headlight buckets, blinkers, and behind the from bumper, and get a little wax on these parts, I won't bore you with too many o these pictures.

One of the things I wanted to try right away was the seat pedestal mats. Its one of this jobs I wouldn't want to be in a hurry installing, but you know, when a box of parts is just sitting there and you know they're "almost " what you need, I get anxious to see if they're a wonderful fit or a total waste bucket filler.

There was a rotted bungee cable behind the seat I thought was not original and added by a PO, but now I'm thinking it is a Westy thing that is for stowing the navigators table. On the list that goes.

I put in some rubber floor and walk through mats, but Im not thinking they really look that awesome. Although they're clean and new, just too much black. Thats hard to admit as I really like black, but now Im considering putting my faded and worn carpets back in, Hmmmm.

Im pretty stoked at how these went on overall. I did have to cut into them and I was a little nervous about starting, but heck, its just a rubber mat. I didn't use any glue, just folded the rubber in the channel and tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet pinching it. Ill see how these wear and decide where and how much glue to use, if any, in the future. Ive saved some of my OG mats for the passenger pedestal as its gonna be missing a 4 in strip. Ill get to that side next....

Those door cards sure look bad and looking worse the further I get. They're on backorder and I know calling and bugging BD isn't gonna help. Maybe I can recondition mine? Nah, Im gonna delete the door speakers so Im resigned to just wait. Wife makes comment about nothing worse than an uptight hippy. Ha! I guess Im just supposed to be all 'Yeahhh Mannnn, You know, whatever is to be, will be, Maaannnn..,, and we get a laugh out of it.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Im realizing now writing these posts just how much Kevin is jumping in on this bus and tutoring me. He said he doesn't mind if I'm doing most of the work and just asking for pointers. I said I just started cleaning the bus that one day and never stopped. He said its cool when you see that happen to a guy!

So we decide getting the glass off my floor and on the bus is a pretty good idea. Kev zips out real quick to get this handled.

With that done Kev gets some grub and can't resist the temptation to do a impromptu heated Nerf battle with my son and heads out on a high note.

He also brought over a kitchen block lid and said swap out what you need and give me all your old stuff.....Maybe you can make one killer piece out of whats here. You bet man, Thanks

I stay up and clean the glass. These are some of my favorite pictures of the bus. It really looks like a lunar landing craft vehicle to me at this point. This bulbous glass has me under its spell. I don't think I can get my fill of looking at her...

The dash work looks pretty neat and Im really glad I took the time to respray as it really shows, the glass wouldn't have hidden anything.

I pulled off the plastic seat covers to take this shot. This really has a neat feel. One of my buddies says 'I didn't know you were Irish' lol, but I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color. Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its gonna be like driving a celebration!

I still haven't touched my interior cabinets, my non-closing slider, front doors, or engine bay. The wipers need work and the fresh air vent needs new seals still too. Kevin says he would have cleaned and fluffed the whole bus at once and thinks it strange how I can 100% one area leaving others totally untouched and ignored but it just goes to show how different we think. I like to tackle one thing at a time I guess and I don't like parts spilling all over the house and they're safe on the bus until I can get to them.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color. Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its gonna be like driving a celebration!

Excellent! That is exactly how I feel every time I climb in and drive mine.
Hope you don't mind a little plagerism... Very Happy I had to add it to my signature line.

Keep at it, WildIdea. You're doing great, and have the perfect attitude for doing it well and doing it right.
My next favorite photo will be of your family on your first camping trip next spring! Dancing
Any thoughts of the first camp site you want to go?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color. Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its gonna be like driving a celebration!

Excellent! That is exactly how I feel every time I climb in and drive mine.
Hope you don't mind a little plagerism... Very Happy I had to add it to my signature line.

Keep at it, WildIdea. You're doing great, and have the perfect attitude for doing it well and doing it right.
My next favorite photo will be of your family on your first camping trip next spring! Dancing
Any thoughts of the first camp site you want to go?

Thanks KentPS, Thats a huge compliment! Im glad it stuck a cord.

Yeah, were dreaming about taking our bus up to our future build site about an hour form Rapid City in the heart of the hills by a town called Nemo. Cat and I bought this spot 4-5 years ago but were waiting to build (something small) until our kids are older and we don't have to commute to schools or need the space, etc. Until then we just visit the site and think about how were gonna get it right. Ive been spraying the canadian thistles and thinning the jack pines, etc and just manicuring the area, but I haven't spent the night there yet. Cant wait to pull the bus up to the fire pit and get lazy.

That and get out to Buffalo Gap National Grasslands rock beds...valuable rock hunting time will be maximized with a sleepover and morning light hunt. Spaceship earth.

CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Awesome progress! The POR looks good. Unfortunately my PO went POR buckwild on mine.

At this rate it looks like we might see you, the family and the lunar lander at BBB 2018.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Get rid of that red negative battery cable as someone might think that goes to the + side of the battery. Get the correct length positive red cable with molded battery terminal from the starter to battery. It will help with cold starting.

Brian says he got me a present. When he read this he laughed cause he's seen be do just that. Was like trying to put a ring on the end of a lightsaber.

I was testing the vehicle one day with my Dad just to see what was up with the harness.

We put a new run of fuses in and it seems everything works accept the wipers. I couldn't resist and twisted the key and the starter spun but didn't stand on it. This is an area that really worried me, but looks like most of the harness is intact. The engine bay looks like there was a trailer lighting set up scabbed on the break lights, Ill redo all that when I get my new rear lighting installed.

With the good weather I decided to just move onto the front doors and see whats up there regardless if I have the door card in hand or not.

I was only missing a few OG clips but ended up finding them when I cleaned out he lower doors.

The crusty vapor barrier had to go but this time Goo Gone wasn't gonna cut it on the glue and used an industrial adhesive remover called H.E.T. 1805 I bought at the body supply. Def need gloves, safety glasses and paint respirator or I would have been found face down in the driveway. Just a little on a rag and its quick work and doesn't harm the paint at all.

I had ordered a sack of replacement clips and had those as well as the door side rubber grommets but they don't really fit and the reproduction clips look like they might work, well see. I found that if I whittled down the rubber grommets just a little with a exact blade and slowly walked them in with a metal punch they would go. I ripped several until I got the hang of it. A little lithium grease helped too. I did like 5-6 before I got to tearing them and come back later to do a few more, but eventually I had all of them in. Im not sure if the vapor barrier is to protect the door cards or the doors from rust or both but Im getting that worked out in the meantime.

Kevin advised to not jerk out the window trim, no matter what. That the aftermarket set ups just don't first like the stock ones. Although I have some 3-4 inch spots with cracked seals and a lose felt strip, I just hydrate them and give them a thorough detailing. Passenger body side strike plate needed a small adjustment and its looking pretty solid!

I scratched up my wrist pretty good getting some oil on the winder track but it started to get a little easier to wind its that spread out. Some Hudini spray in the locks and the key started to free up some more too!

My OG mirrors had no glass in them and these repos look pretty cheesy, but they'll do until I can score some solid OGs.

One things for sure, Im having fun with just cleaning this bus. super cool t see it starting to shine!

Surprise, Surprise! Kevin shoots me this picture out of the blue. His Gal had found the time to work up the rear bench upholstery and was ready to pick up. Sweet!!

One can't just put these back in a bus without addressing the bench itself. This it the day I embarked on lamination 101........Its a long class. I will say right here, this would only be possible reading the threads on the Samba and having local friends that have done these jobs and being involved. I truly believe I could not do this alone, or not to any high degree, and certainly not at this pace. Thanks to those who have come before me.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Hey WildMan...
Read this before putting on the vapor barrier...
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9122

Don't forget the flap Exclamation

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Awesome progress! The POR looks good. Unfortunately my PO went POR buckwild on mine.

At this rate it looks like we might see you, the family and the lunar lander at BBB 2018.

CarlosZ !! As a rule, I don't rule anything out!

Some of this stuff is out of my hands with the others involved, but like with Tattoos, we always say you gotta live with them longer than it takes to do, so Im not working with any time frame. When its thoroughly worked I'll come up for air and see whats happening!!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Hey WildMan...
Read this before putting on the vapor barrier...
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9122

Don't forget the flap Exclamation

Right on, Thanks!!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Brian called and said he had some stuff for me to pick up....I was stoked to see that he's breaking down the motor. I know how busy he is and there are other projects in his line up but I think were all itching to see whats up with my motor.

Pretty neat but were not all the way there yet. I think he just wanted some of the parts out from under foot. He says "I hear you like cleaning stuff, take these boxes with you and work it all over." I'm good with that, Im gonna learn something. Im realizing what I like about working on the bus is learning stuff at every turn and that really keeps stuff interesting for me. What does this do? Oh Ok, it effects that then, I see......Lots of lightbulb moments. This bus has already bought me a ton.

In my mind, the bus is going through a body refresh split between things that should happen and things that can wait,,,,,,and my MOTOR. Such a looming topic. It feels good to be doing something for my motor after doing some basically fluff projects. Brian is always full of encouragement and says just keep doing something everyday and it will add up to a super nice bus.

I can't wait to start scrubbing. Sometimes I think its all I'm qualified to do.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Do NOT take the Fan apart! it is balanced at the factory.

Take the engine tin and clean it and then take it all to a powdercoating guy. Powdercoating lasts 10 times longer than rattle can spray paint. Yes, they can do the fan housing too...I like silver for them myself.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Do NOT take the Fan apart! it is balanced at the factory.

Take the engine tin and clean it and then take it all to a powdercoating guy. Powdercoating lasts 10 times longer than rattle can spray paint. Yes, they can do the fan housing too...I like silver for them myself.

Got it. The fan looks pretty tough to take apart really. Ill clean it the way it is. Thanks.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't wait for a free day to arrive and get after scrubbing these parts. I'm sure I looked like a raccoon washing his hands on a river bank and I considered buying a parts washer, but I really don't have the space in my shop.

Some I just set in a box for the powder coater, others just get sat aside. The valve covers are so dirty I unbolted my bench grinder and took out back to the debris wouldn't get all over my shop.

Some little stuff is broken and will need to go on the order list.

My alternator was refreshed by a local battery shop. Needed new berrings and they tested my voltage regulator and said it was good.

Over all Im pretty happy with how things are shaping up. As always, the coater gets this stuff right back to me in a day. They are excellent welder too and can repair the cracks in my tin better than I could.

I used high heat spray paint on the valve covers and in a box they go to the basement.

I give the heater boxes a coat of exhaust paint too and they look pretty decent, into storage for now.

So Hey! As I'm chipping away at all this stuff, looks what shows up!! My Westy Green door cards! And they're nice !!

These were really worth the wait. I think they come from Europe someplace and come through Bus Depot, not sure, but they are a great match right down to the embossed lines. There are not cut outs and I'm itching to see how thy fit so I jump right on them.

I use my OG cards as a template.

The arm rest and other door hardware was easy enough to clean in a sink and really shined up with the Back to Black conditioner.

I couldn't wait to get the clips on and pop then in. The drivers side goes well and I just have to stand back and take a picture.

Im pretty pleased at this point of the front seat area. It really came together quick with just some hard cleaning, some painting, and a lil bit of money.

I sent Bus Depot some positive email feedback and o few photos and they asked if they could use them on their site. I said sure and they cropped out the background and now have my driver side door on their site where they're selling these door panels. I think this is really cool!!

I can't decide what to do next. Its either there gas tank and fuel lines or the rear bench.....I get the firewall off and decide the rear bench until I'm through reading tank threads...
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

Nice job!

I hope you reinstalled the plastic vapor barrier with the essential flap on your front doors. Water is designed to leak down in the door and drain out of weep holes in the bottom of th door. Without the barrier your new panels will warp and mold within a wet season.
(sold - but not forgotten)
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Nice job!

I hope you reinstalled the plastic vapor barrier with the essential flap on your front doors. Water is designed to leak down in the door and drain out of weep holes in the bottom of th door. Without the barrier your new panels will warp and mold within a wet season.

Yessir. My Og cards told me the story of how important the vapor barrier is. My weep holes are open now too. They were plugged full of debris.

Dang though, I sure hope this bus doesn't get wet at all anymore. Its sitting outside days are over. I know Ill get caught in some but I hope its only a few times a year. My wife is getting worried I'm becoming obsessed and won't ever drive it but there has to be a sane balance.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

I’m loving watching this restoration progress, keep up with the good work Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

So Bus Depot is the only vendor I've been able to locate the orange door panels needed for the 73-75 Brilliant Orange buses.

They do not have the openings for the blue vent slider thing, and dropping $400 to then cut holes for them, I've been on the fence for a couple of years now, but dang it, those door cards look sharp!!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hell In A Bucket! WildIdea's 1977 Sage Green Westy Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
I’m loving watching this restoration progress, keep up with the good work Very Happy

Thanks a lot! Ive been seeing your progress as well. Looks like your having just as much fun digging in to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 33

Jump to: