Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

TravelingInAFriedOutKombi wrote:
Just read this entire post and all replies. Damn did I learn a lot about my engine. I was just quoted $4000 to rebuild the top end of my FI type 4. Now that I know quality parts aren't even available- I won't be throwing my money away. Seems to me the best options now are (obviously) pay Jake 25k to do it right, throw a type 1 in there and rebuild it every 50k miles, or do a subie conversion.

As a poor college kid who just paid $4500 for the bus, I think I'm shit outta luck. The PO told me that the motor had been rebuilt 17k miles ago. I believed him based on me driving it for about 50 miles before pulling the trigger. Funny how things end up. I think I'll be exiting the VW community until I have real money. Or I win the lottery.

Sad

Just buy the parts yourself-
HAM heads-$2500
Camshaft kit-$935
P&C's-$230
Main Bearings-$75
Cam Bearings-$113
Rod Bearings-$55
Total $3900

Quit crying as it cost about the same to due a quality rebuild on a V8. So put it together yourself as it's not hard and having 100hp/130lb torque in a bus is amazing!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Save a little more by dropping the cam kit, put together one by using Web or CB parts and save at least $500 if not more. $113 for cam bearings, you are kidding right? Buy two sets of Type 1 bearings for about $40 and save yourself seventy-three dollars.

Not knocking Jake, I have bought his goodies, built engines with them, even a DTM, but if you are low on funds there are ways to have a quality build with a little less jingle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

TravelingInAFriedOutKombi wrote:
Just read this entire post and all replies. Damn did I learn a lot about my engine. I was just quoted $4000 to rebuild the top end of my FI type 4. Now that I know quality parts aren't even available- I won't be throwing my money away. Seems to me the best options now are (obviously) pay Jake 25k to do it right, throw a type 1 in there and rebuild it every 50k miles, or do a subie conversion.

As a poor college kid who just paid $4500 for the bus, I think I'm shit outta luck. The PO told me that the motor had been rebuilt 17k miles ago. I believed him based on me driving it for about 50 miles before pulling the trigger. Funny how things end up. I think I'll be exiting the VW community until I have real money. Or I win the lottery.

Sad

I paid $50 for a Type 4 car 15ish years ago which had an unknown engine sitting in the back hatch area, after making several attempts to sell the engine as is, even offering a guaranty I eventually cleaned it up and resealed it. When my old high mileage engine went I threw in this unknown engine and and drove it for a year and then pulled the heads off and had a local shop replace the exhaust valves and recut the seats for $300. I also reringed the pistons. Probably have about $500 into the engine at this point in time and have maybe 20K miles on it, suspect it will last me at least another 30K if not much more. You don't need a $25,000 engine to enjoy driving up and down the road.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

If only he had a time machine. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

but then he would need plutonium, and i'm sure that in the future, plutonium is available in every corner drug store, but in 2018 it's a little hard to come by.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Save a little more by dropping the cam kit, put together one by using Web or CB parts and save at least $500 if not more. $113 for cam bearings, you are kidding right? Buy two sets of Type 1 bearings for about $40 and save yourself seventy-three dollars.

Not knocking Jake, I have bought his goodies, built engines with them, even a DTM, but if you are low on funds there are ways to have a quality build with a little less jingle.

Yes, you "could" buy a Web 142 which would save money but cut HP down to 70 hp. Use a Web73 along with the HAM CS heads to get that 100hp number.
That Cam kit has all the parts you need for a better than stock engine- Porsche swivel feet, Chromoly pushrods, etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

When yours dies, put one of these in in a weekend, not as hard on the wallet and ready to go
http://www.busdepot.com/022100625a

Just a regular guy
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
When yours dies, put one of these in in a weekend, not as hard on the wallet and ready to go

Built by AVP... don’t do that

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Why is that, Aero?
GEX is thrashed in the buyer's forum, but AVP only has one feedback and it's a positive one. If you had a bad experience, add it to the forum to warn others.

(And there's also one positive feedback for GEX. But if you throw enough of them together, you're bound to get one right occasionally, no?) Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Bleyseng there are other cam grinders out in the world besides Web, there are other swivel feet adjusters available beside Porsche and they work just as good. Chrome moly push rods are nice, but if a person is on a budget the stockers will work.

All I am saying is a quality engine can be assembled without getting discourage by being bombarded with rolls royce priced parts and kits when other options are available.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Why is that, Aero?
GEX is thrashed in the buyer's forum, but AVP only has one feedback and it's a positive one. If you had a bad experience, add it to the forum to warn others.

(And there's also one positive feedback for GEX. But if you throw enough of them together, you're bound to get one right occasionally, no?) Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

I researched them prior to my build.... older threads but enough to make me think twice back in 2012

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Bleyseng there are other cam grinders out in the world besides Web, there are other swivel feet adjusters available beside Porsche and they work just as good. Chrome moly push rods are nice, but if a person is on a budget the stockers will work.

All I am saying is a quality engine can be assembled without getting discourage by being bombarded with rolls royce priced parts and kits when other options are available.

Sure there are others and I have tried them so my Personal recommendation based on my experience building engines is Webcam and for sure Porsche swivel feet. If on a budget get the AVP engine as maybe it will run and last a few thousand miles. Rolling Eyes
If you want the BEST get the Camper Special kit w/Nikkies and all the other goodies for a top of the market engine that will last 100,000 miles and not drop valve seats , run quiet plus be 110+horsepower.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
KentPS wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Why is that, Aero?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

I researched them prior to my build.... older threads but enough to make me think twice back in 2012

Well, I posted it as the OP was looking for a budget motor repair and was balking at $4K of top end work. Given some of the AVP feedback threads, they may be better off avoided. I wonder what the BusDepot warranty is on them.

Just a regular guy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
. I wonder what the BusDepot warranty is on them.

last I knew it was "here is AVP's number. sorry"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I gotta say, it’s a classic car. If you want it to be shitty and unreliable buy shitty parts. If you want it to be good, “you gotta pay to play!” Maybe everyone doesn’t have to pay the $20k Raby charged, but you still have to pay. I’ve spent many a thousands of dollars on engines and I’ll say this, the builder is everything. So...if Raby is the best builder his price will reflect that.
’65 Deluxe Build
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

I own the last CS Jake built and it didn’t cost anywhere near $20K. That’s just what he said he’d have to start charging to continue building the CS for others.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
I own the last CS Jake built and it didn’t cost anywhere near $20K. That’s just what he said he’d have to start charging to continue building the CS for others.

- Doug

Actually it probably will cost $20-25k....and a quote would probably gove you a price "range"...and not an exact total cost.

From comments Jake has made over the years....the biggest problem is good parts and good cores. He is NOT going to cut corners even 1% because his name is on it. Every part he puts in...and every machine work action will have to meet exact specs.

To do that with the current level of parts available on the market....any parts bought will have to be basically re-machined or added to to bring them up to spec. That is MONEY.

Or...some parts will have to be top notch parts that are made custom to his spec....more MONEY. This for example is where the custom cam grinds, the Nikkis cylinders with custom pistons and the specialty coatings for heads, custom made exhausts etc, the greatly upgraded heads....worked out fuel systems and ignition systems...came from.

When he still owned the type 4 store..and going into the setting up of that store and the making of the kits way back when...the whole idea was to get the volume up of these types of "better than factory" builds......so that all of those custom parts could be built in a high enough volume that he COULD offer engine builds and kits that were quality but did not cost $20k.

However the client base....partly... Wink ...failed him. For instance...getting a camper special...built... for $9-12k....would be a bargain indeed!...even 10 years ago!
Getting the kit........and being able to do the due-diligence that was needed in getting the engine cores, ignition and fuel systems together yourself....for $6-8k....is a steal!

But too many people who wanted this product.... biotched and moaned about the price. Probably some other clients.... who did their own assembly from a kit...did not always do the level of work required. That makes for difficulties.

So without a huge volume of clients to make the high end parts pool exactly cheap (or as cheap as most VW people actually are)....and the cores for engines not getting any better......it takes a LOT of labor and machine work to make an engine at this level now.....and he is not going to do any of the upgrades and work at a loss of profit (nor should he have to).

To get a CS...actually made, assembled, tested and warranted by Jake...I could easily see it NOT being less than 15k and easily being close to 20k. Ray
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

Did Jake not build a couple of engines last year,with a price tag of $25,000.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !! Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

X100000

not AVP. NEVER AVP. same chance of a good build as with GEX. reused parts that should have been thrown in the trash 100k miles ago.

The Web73 cam is a great suggestion and will still work with factory FI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: