Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On the positives you are in Bus heaven, so you can find a dry Bus with a bad engine and get a driver together cheap, without traveling too far , where you are! This is the place to get help on sorting the engine and mechanicals out.

Good luck and dont forget pictures. We don't have enough Bays with Huskies in them.

I like it all! Sounds good, thanks Abs:)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

I think that the Wild Westerner guys on here would like to get some numbers off that bus......
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

If the under carriage and mechanics are as good as you say, I personally, don't see why you couldn't do a cheap at home sand, osphoro, and paint. You wouldn't have to take anything out of the inside. You would need new window seals though.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

crawl under with your camera and take some good clear pics of the front beam & beam to frame mounting.
then in the back, the crosstube just ahead of the rear wheels that the rear suspension hangs off from..
if the frame and frame to suspension connections are tight.. roll it as it is..
F'ugly but sound(ish).
and relish in that you won't have to have the 'chat' at every gas station or worry in a grocery store parking lot that the guys with pristine Bus need to.

the view looks the same from the windshield & sliding door no matter the C'rust.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I think that the Wild Westerner guys on here would like to get some numbers off that bus......

What kind of numbers alman? Not understanding. Thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

sd73vdub wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Its a Wild Westerner Bus - which has its own thread on this special version - search on it, ill post a link once I get rid of this lawyer. Does anyone have a spare 55 gallon drum...'The Counselor"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527392&highlight=wild+westerner
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
If the under carriage and mechanics are as good as you say, I personally, don't see why you couldn't do a cheap at home sand, osphoro, and paint. You wouldn't have to take anything out of the inside. You would need new window seals though.

Hey Spike. Yeah, it's pretty minimal underneath considering, and it runs pretty damn solid. It's not a daily driver and i'm wouldn't really take it on an extended trip (partly cause i'm paranoid and not mechanically inclined enough to fix certain items that may go awry, although as previously mentioned the prior owners went to other countries w it, but again I believe the husband was very mech inclined). It runs and sounds like a normal VW bus!Smile

I like your suggestion and appreciate yours and all others input here. Thank you! It DEFINITELY can use new seals even already btw. Thanks!
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
sd73vdub wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Its a Wild Westerner Bus - which has its own thread on this special version - search on it, ill post a link once I get rid of this lawyer. Does anyone have a spare 55 gallon drum...'The Counselor"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527392&highlight=wild+westerner

WoW, Abs, thats super cool!! Amazing that thread has 120 pages! Thanks for the post and info:)
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Shocked I was in your same spot last year- bought a 78 bus with out looking close enough at the roof line-- turns out the under and rockers were great- with new trans and rebuilt motor--- drove excellent- the bad news was- like yours it had sat exposed to the Santa Cruz salt air for way to long- the entire cab roof and gutters (hidden by Riviera top )were toast.

Heart broken- not to mention the cost- I lucked out big time with a scrapped body having all the bits I needed--AND neighbor John took an interest in fitting an entire roof on the bus. Total cost $1200 to replace almost all the rust- SO- even if your gutters and front are toast- the "spirit of samba " to the rescue.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

[img]

[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

You got that right right!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...7a#8659090

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
sd73vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked I was in your same spot last year- bought a 78 bus with out looking close enough at the roof line-- turns out the under and rockers were great- with new trans and rebuilt motor--- drove excellent- the bad news was- like yours it had sat exposed to the Santa Cruz salt air for way to long- the entire cab roof and gutters (hidden by Riviera top )were toast.

Heart broken- not to mention the cost- I lucked out big time with a scrapped body having all the bits I needed--AND neighbor John took an interest in fitting an entire roof on the bus. Total cost $1200 to replace almost all the rust- SO- even if your gutters and front are toast- the "spirit of samba " to the rescue.

[img]
[/img]

[img]

[/img]

$1,200?! Wow thats awesome, and mighty nice of John the neighbor to help obviously:)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

I would roll that thing topless in a heartbeat...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

We ain't interested in seeing your man boobs. Laughing

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Abscate wrote:

We ain't interested in seeing your man boobs. Laughing
https://goo.gl/images/jQVR9i

I got a bad furniture problem. My chest fell into my drawers
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

I'm sorry to see that somewhat extreme rust on that bus! As I said in the Wild Westerner thread, I really like those high-roof Westerners! There seems to have been a few made. I'd like to have one, some time.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
As I said in the Wild Westerner thread, I really like those high-roof Westerners! There seems to have been a few made. I'd like to have one, some time.

Try checking the San Diego Craigslist... Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What to do w my 1973 Bay window type 2? Reply with quote

Ha ha, I also said that I didn't have the spare cash at the moment in that thread. So I'll have to make due with the "boring" passenger WW and ordinary Westy I've got at the moment! I have to admit that I don't NEED a 3rd Bus right now!

There was a non-running but less rusty (though it may have had some kind of other body damage, I don't recall for sure) high roof WW that sort of languished on ebay for several months a couple years ago. Sometimes I wish I had gone after it back then.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: