Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

! Help broken down in West texas !
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Hi forum I am broken down in West Texas just myself in my 4 year old daughter uh oh! I have a 1974 bay window converted over to a 1641 engine single port. Been running like a top just pulled in to get gas and now will not turn over. battery is good. All lights come on alternator light on with key turned just will not start or turn over at all hear the solenoid click when I turn the key suggestions? Have both books I'm starting to read but thought I would try here as you have been a wealth of knowledge... Thank you!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Try the simplest repair first:
Clean the battery posts and clamps, and clean the ground point between battery cable and body.

Edit: Have you tried push starting it? Usually you'll get lots of help from fellow gassers (!) when they see the VW and a 4-year-old. Wink

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

I would start with making sure the engine still turns, put in 4th gear and leave the key OFF, then push the bus with the engine lid open and watch the pulley, can you get a few full 360 degree turns out of it without any clanking noises?

If it passes that test it's time to move onto battery cable and starter diagnosis.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Try the old screwdriver across the starter terminals trick (ignition wire spade to big post with all the wires going to it - if you aren't familiar - it will spark a little). Make sure you are in neutral and key is on.

My starter went out one trip and my girlfriend had to push (she did not know how to pop a clutch) and it was amazing how many good samaritans would rush to help. Imagine the crowd you would get with a 4 yr old putting her back into it Laughing
Good luck!
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Clean the all battery terminals. Got a full revolution in 4th gear of the pulleys. Had someone give us a push start and started up just fine guessing it's the starter going out or is there anything I can check on that besides loose cables? New starter?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Cool! Cool You're on the road again!

C'mon back to this thread when you get home. The trusty Sambanistas will help you find the caus of the problem and walk you thru the solution.

Safe travels!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

I have the Bosch blue coil starter I believe. How to test this? Thanks anyone won extra time? Napa shut down AutoZone closes in 40 minutes but do not think they carry this[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

We are in South West Texas headed all the way to Colorado though does this sound like I'm going to need to push start every time I stopped the vehicle and turn it off?. Better to go to Napa and try and get a starter here I think.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Search for the photos here about how to jump starter with a screw driver, and be concious to park on a slope facing down hill, just a bit of slope and you can push start by yourself.
Clean the battery and starter connections, and have your helper hold the flashlight for you.
Remember to convince the 4 yr old how much fun she is having.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

West Texas may not have many hills?
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Limited internet connections and download speeds for pictures... can anybody tell me if the local AutoZone Duralast brand starter will work for me? I know it may not last long. Thanks for any help you can give
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

THE LORAX wrote:
I have the Bosch blue coil starter I believe. How to test this? Thanks anyone won extra time? Napa shut down AutoZone closes in 40 minutes but do not think they carry this[img]
[/img]

That blue coil is your coil, not your starter. The starter is under your bus. The autozone starter will work fine if it’s compatible with your bus.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

From a thread last week:

Brian wrote:
I've had good luck with Duralast from AutoZone. The O'Reiley's brand ain't that great.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692185

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

The old won’t start after filling up on a road trip. Fun times, happened to me in Tucson one year. Drove from Durango to Tucson for the Gem Show, all systems were a go and then no start after a fill up. As stated above I put a screwdriver across the starter terminals, not the coil, starter came to live. I crawled out from under the bus, turned the key and we had a starter again. It didn’t start 2 other times that trip and both times I push started it solo.

As for starters the one from autozone is pretty good and come with a lifetime warranty.

Safe travels
’65 Deluxe Build
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
The old won’t start after filling up on a road trip. Fun times, happened to me in Tucson one year. Drove from Durango to Tucson for the Gem Show, all systems were a go and then no start after a fill up. As stated above I put a screwdriver across the starter terminals, not the coil, starter came to live. I crawled out from under the bus, turned the key and we had a starter again. It didn’t start 2 other times that trip and both times I push started it solo.

As for starters the one from autozone is pretty good and come with a lifetime warranty.

Safe travels

These suggestions MUST come with the “make sure to put the bus in neutral and engage the handbrake before you try this.” disclaimer. We don’t need any dead members due to incomplete advise.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
THE LORAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Thanks Richard Parker and the all other song by members got too cold to lay under the bus so we opted for a hotel tonight. Picked up the Duralast incase Richard Parker's advice does not pan out so lucky for me will try and jump the starter in the morning. Thanks for all your help and advice. Cross your fingers wish me luck thanks again
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the right starter?? You have a T-1 engine and who knows what for a transmission/bellhousing. There could be an incompatibility. Vw Bus, Colorado plates, West Texas ?? you got brass balls.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

yer starter is most likely fine(ish)
you most likely (IMO) have an irregular flow of electrons required to operate the starter.
either in the +12v OR the GND path wiring.

and it's exaggerated by the cold (and heat too)

what I would do.
buy a ~36in black ground cable from said autozone..
install it on the lower starter bolt.. scrape to clean/bare metal and run the other end to the battery NEG cable.. either where it bolts to the body (may need a longer metric bolt) or the cable clamp on the battery.. again clean/bare metal contact.

I would remove the positive cable from the battery and clean it to bare metal with a wire brush. leave it off, and go clean where it goes onto the starter solenoid too.. then you can reconnect it to the battery +pos post.

while putzing with the battery wear latex gloves..

I would see if it improves..

then I would go step 2. buy a ~30amp fog light relay at the flaps..

take the wire off the starter that comes from the key, it is the wire that pushes on the spade.. the end can get quite corroded and effect the flow of power.. inspect, clean and verify the curls of the female spade connection aren't loose when pressed onto the spade..

anyways.. back to the relay.

there are 4 numbers on the relay. well maybe 5, but we'll go with the 4 you need.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

To jump the starter get a 6 inch long piece of #14 or larger wire and crimp a female spade terminal onto one end. Now remove the wire from the spade on the starter solenoid and install the one you made. Now with the tranny in neutral, the key on, and the parking brake set you can jump the starter with a bit more grace than using a screwdriver. Just touch the free end to the big lug with all the wires on it and the engine should crank.

I agree that cleaning all your battery cable connections might be all you need to do. Buy new cables and get rid of any of the junky style replacement cable ends. Once you get all your connections clean, coat the post and the cable ends inside and out with vasoline to keep further corrosion at bay.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: ! Help broken down in West texas ! Reply with quote

Op..you have to proceed slowly since you are on a steep learning curve

There is a lot of energy stored in your battery and the cables to the starter are one of the few cables that are not fused for safety. You can hurt yourself and also burn your Bus up if you make mistakes here.

Until you learn a bit more, the first rule when working on electrical systems is disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery..identify it, loosen clamp, remove terminal, then set it away from battery.

That makes it safe .

When you go to replace your starter this. Is really important as. You will have loose live 12V cables lying around, otherwise. If they touch metal with the battery fully connected, they will do major damage to the cables if not burn your Bus up,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: