Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I'd be interested.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Thanks Skils for clarifying. It is my contention that the original speaker that was mounted here was 70’s technology and basically garbage in this day and age. Speaker quality has come a long way since then. As Steve pointed out a professionally re-coned speaker is still a 70’s speaker. Period. Dual 3 1/2 inch speakers will not fit into a 5 inch area. Nor will they fit into the 6 3/4 inch area with an adapter. After lots of homework and deciding upon my new sterio set up....I was enlightened by Skills about actually using the original spot for the dash speaker to augment the rest of my set up. Therefore I put forth the idea of producing these. Jeffrey at BusOk has one but he won’t sell the bracket. I want to be able to choose the speaker. The choices are limited. That’s it...plain and simple. There are 2 companies that make dual voice coil 6 3/4” speakers that will fit this spot. If any of you audiophiles can enlighten me please feel free to do so. Because I think I wasted 4 hours the other day researching and speaking to experts about dash speakers. I am not the guy who is gonna put nuts and bolts through my dashboard. It was merely an idea and now I have the original one to reproduce.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

in the early bays I use a 6x9 for the center speakers. late I use a 5" (I think) speaker.

by far, it is the best sounding solution, and way better than door or kick panel speakers. anyone that has been in my bus just can't believe what a quality speaker can do in that location

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I have a 1977 VWoA AM/FM radio hooked up to the speaker which sounds fine.

I also have downward facing under dash speakers and rear units hooked up to a hidden amp with an Aux in. So a couple of audio options that are +/- decent.

I like the original speaker just for the sake of originality.

Just a regular guy
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I would buy one as well!

Just out of curiosity, i recently decided to replace the original speaker and it was simply mounted to dashboard by two screws that were visible from above. Pretty sure this is how the bus came originally. Why is it that some came with bracket and some did not?
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Think it was the dealer that was supplying the radio and speaker and some just put the screws through the speaker holes. That is how mine was originally set up as well. My original speaker had a 4-5 mm rim of pressed greyboard that sat between the metal speaker frame and the underside of the dash.

Maybe other dealers were a little better about using the bracket. My original paper cone was totally gone from early on. I like how the bracket has the cloth "screen" to protect from some debris and liquid as well.

Just a regular guy
mserino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

I picked up a dual 3.5 dash mount bracket from fast fab but it did not have the rubber bumper mounts. Anyone know where to get some or at least the dimensions. I could make two fastfabonline.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

There is also the reproduction speaker mount sold by Bus-OK that looks similar to the original design
https://bus-ok.nl/Type2-bay-Speaker-complete-with-mounting-frame

Just a regular guy
Okievanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get the rubber bushings for the speaker bracket? I am needing a pair.

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Okievanner wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the rubber bushings for the speaker bracket? I am needing a pair.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I've never found a source myself, I've made substitutes by gluing a couple layers of inner tube folded around the end of the tab like a taco in the past that worked great.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MaggieMay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

So did this part ever get reproduced?
There was talk of it.
I would be interested in one.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

MaggieMay wrote:
So did this part ever get reproduced?
There was talk of it.
I would be interested in one.

The speaker bracket? Look a few posts up for a link.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

At 104 euro????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
At 104 euro????

If you want one bad enough...

I found a good one in the classifieds a while back for a good price. They're out there if you watch for them.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwartePiets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

If anyone has one they can post measurements up I would appreciate it. They look fairly simple to make.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

Has anyone asked Ken Madsen what he might want for one? I bought a speaker and bracket from him a while back and it was reasonably priced. I sent the speaker out to be reconed which was the most expensive part. Then added a speaker cloth like what VW used. The whole thing complete like new came to about $105 as I recall when I was done. Still have it in a box safely stored away to sell with the bus when it goes so if anyone wants to add a factory radio they can and use a factory speaker.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Has anyone asked Ken Madsen what he might want for one? I bought a speaker and bracket from him a while back and it was reasonably priced. I sent the speaker out to be reconed which was the most expensive part. Then added a speaker cloth like what VW used. The whole thing complete like new came to about $105 as I recall when I was done. Still have it in a box safely stored away to sell with the bus when it goes so if anyone wants to add a factory radio they can and use a factory speaker.

I just replaced the old factory speaker with a modern dual-tweeter speaker from RetroSound; it was an exact fit. I did a 'how-to' write up in Volkswagen Camper & Commercial Magazine.
My Photography Page.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449300

I just listed this for sale Price is OBO. But I'm more than happy to take measurements for anybody wanting to make on e themselves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

sloans265 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449300

I just listed this for sale Price is OBO. But I'm more than happy to take measurements for anybody wanting to make on e themselves

Were you able to take measurements before you sold this off?

webwalker
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 69-79 Bay dash speaker mounting bracket Reply with quote

FastFab sells one and I recently installed it in my '70. Works awesome and sounds great IMO. Would recommend this versus a single speaker version as well.

https://www.fastfabonline.com/BUS-DUAL-SPEAKER-PANEL-BAY-WINDOW-_p_128.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: