Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe the predictions for this car were in the low 20k range.

Here is a link to the car if you have not seen it: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-thing-10/
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Damn, that is in nice shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Yeah, until you look closely. It's hard to believe that paint is original when you look at the pan and the engine compartment. Someone paid wayyy too much for that Thing. It's a nice looking car but not 36k.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

It also has the wrong speedometer.
Chadkd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Wonder if the buyer saw it first hand? Too bad it had a replacement battery pan. At that price, it should have been perfect.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

I think so too.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Kubel 74 wrote:
It also has the wrong speedometer.

Has the wrong distributor and coil.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Bad repair on the right rear floor and the muffler is aftermarket.
bill iler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

I was going to bid on it to the mid teens and maybe higher... but the bad floor repair, non orig exhaust and a few other items stopped me- oh yes and the fact that before I got in at my price, it went 20K higher in a couple of days' time. Dang.

I did like the mint OG upholstery and even the perfectly intact web straps for top, in the rear.

The new owner said in his comments that he is going to swap out or rework the engine and rev it up a bit...That type of modification doesn't make sense to me at that price,

As for a value indicator, I would consider it more of a one off that a true indicator. There are still a few low mile real OG ones and they can be had in the high teens/low 20s, though maybe not in green.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bring a Trailer" 74 Green Thing sells at auction Reply with quote

Barrett Jackson just auctioned 2 Things, this weekend for mid 20’s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: