Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Very Happy Quartzsite is right on the way- stop for pizza and a few collectible rocks-- meet the Kombi crew - then turn north for BBB. - can't go wrong- Shocked

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

20hrs of nearly 1500 miles, though i know it’d be totally worth the adventure, sadly i don’t have the time.
I’ll keep up my normal regimen and live vicariously through videos and pictures. For now.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I’ll keep up my normal regimen and live vicariously through videos and pictures. For now.

In that case, we're both hosed. I've been living vicariously thru your travels and exploits. Sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I've been looking forward to this weekend for a while. It's BBB weekend!

This is the first solely VW gathering I've been to, and so far it's pretty cool, as an understatement...

I arrived a little after 3:00 today, and was number 506 to register. And I TOTALLY lucked out, as they were running out of spaces to park, so about a dozen spots were opened up...on the grass...right on Lake Havasu! There is negligible Internet access here, so I'll upload pics when I get home. But the site couldn't be any better, since the rear hatch opens up to the west overlooking the lake.

But in the short time I've been here, I ran into Alaska (and Ben and Leah... but I recognized Alaska first), and met several uber cool fellow VW geeks. I'm hoping to track down a few Bay Window Sambanistas, too. I am parked right next to the main stage, so if anyone at BBB reads this, stop by and grab a beer and a braut.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I've been looking forward to this weekend for a while. It's BBB weekend!

This is the first solely VW gathering I've been to, and so far it's pretty cool, as an understatement...

I arrived a little after 3:00 today, and was number 506 to register. And I TOTALLY lucked out, as they were running out of spaces to park, so about a dozen spots were opened up...on the grass...right on Lake Havasu! There is negligible Internet access here, so I'll upload pics when I get home. But the site couldn't be any better, since the rear hatch opens up to the west overlooking the lake.

But in the short time I've been here, I ran into Alaska (and Ben and Leah... but I recognized Alaska first), and met several uber cool fellow VW geeks. I'm hoping to track down a few Bay Window Sambanistas, too. I am parked right next to the main stage, so if anyone at BBB reads this, stop by and grab a beer and a braut.

so thats where you ended up-- I'll be back up tomorrow.

Don't step in any!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I’M SO FREAKING FLIPPING FUNKING JEALOUS!
Sip a beer for us losers down south, eh?!
Have fun, from some videos I’ve seen earlier today on FB, it’s a helluva turn out!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Sounds like a great time! Enjoy.

We're in single digits this week, so I guess focusing on bus fixes will get one closer for next year.

Def post pics when you can!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Shocked what a great show- MANY name buses showed up- great time caught up with KentPS and the kombi crew- watched their drone fly- and drank their beer --great time- Met CarlosZ (Cute kids Carlos) and saw his aux gas tank installation- very nice.

Missed the hot air balloons though.

Hopefully be back next year in the bus- we were so close.

Don't step in any!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked what a great show- MANY name buses showed up- great time caught up with KentPS and the kombi crew- watched their drone fly- and drank their beer --great time- Met CarlosZ (Cute kids Carlos) and saw his aux gas tank installation- very nice.

Missed the hot air balloons though.

Hopefully be back next year in the bus- we were so close.

Well played, William.
Kent, pics. Pronto, broto Cool

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

I'm on it, Sambo! Very Happy
Just got home and unpacked.

The big news from BBB: 560 buses registered at the event, plus there were about 40-45 cheapskates parked in the parking lot, along with about 50 non-VW RV's that were staying in the parking lot. So the organizers of BBB report this was the largest gathering of camping VW buses on record, according to Google. Pretty cool!

But the most fun part was seeing all the beautiful buses from all over the place that made the journey to attend. It astounded me there are so many 40-60 year old VW's around and able to get there! I was behind an old splitty pulling one of those one-wheeled trailers while leaving, and I followed for about 6-8 miles... and that thing was able to keep pace at 55-60 mph on the highway, with some inclines. Amazing!

Okay, time for a few pics...
The first and last pics show how LUCKY I got with my camping spot. Chloe's nose was aiming toward the main stage, and her backside was facing the lake.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those are the Bay pics from my camera, taken before the battery died. More pics to come from my phone later. But I really need to grab a shower first!

Also, I must have a latent fascination for splitties, since lots of pics of those were taken too. So I'll post them in the "Shows/Event" forum later.

It was great running into CarlosZ and his boys (major kudos to Carlos for giving his wife the weekend off!). And hung out with Ben and Leah along with WilliamM for a while. Weather was great, with days being warm but not hot, and nights being cool but not cold. Lots of beer was consumed during the weekend, and whiffs of burning herbal substances were noticeable too, so it was a major hit all around! (Oh... just realized there's a pun in there too!)

Edit: I forgot the most important pic.... CarlosZ's Westy!...

It's very sweet and clean in person. Oh yeah... so is Carlos, but his bus is shinier. lol!

---WildIdea

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Great pics Kent-
Pretty sure you drove some early arrival buses nuts- getting the perfect spot so late in the week-- I mean right on the beach one way and 40' from the stage-
Good to see you guys again and will promise the Blue bus will be on the road for next show.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Great pics Kent-
Pretty sure you drove some early arrival buses nuts- getting the perfect spot so late in the week-- I mean right on the beach one way and 40' from the stage-
Good to see you guys again and will promise the Blue bus will be on the road for next show.

Yeah, there were a few people who asked how I scored such a prime spot. But I just happened to drive thru the gate as those spots were opening up. Hopefully no one got too upset. And I was a little envious of the people all bunched up together... They were all having a great time, sharing food, beer and stories.

Yes! Let's get to BBB 2019 in Blue and Chloe. Blue is coming along great. That replacement top looks like it never happened! No evidence of any welding at all. Good job! Ask John if he is willing to teach a newbie how to MIG weld.

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
williamM wrote:
Great pics Kent-

Yeah, there were a few people who asked how I scored such a prime spot. But I just happened to drive thru the gate as those spots were opening up. Hopefully no one got too upset. And I was a little envious of the people all bunched up together... They were all having a great time, sharing food, beer and stories.

Yes! Let's get to BBB 2019 in Blue and Chloe. Blue is coming along great. That replacement top looks like it never happened! No evidence of any welding at all. Good job! Ask John if he is willing to teach a newbie how to MIG weld.

WELL- He's a pretty quiet guy-- Did do the tie rods on the Mertz for me today-- appears one just popped out of the socket when he put the wedge to it-- Kind of wierd as it's only been clicking less that a week.

Don't step in any!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS,

Great pics, sounds like a blast!

I suppose when your alreading into Bays and you get exposed to a lot of Splits its just natural to start thinking about them. Go for it! Nothing wrong with having several busses right?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
KentPS,

I suppose when your alreading into Bays and you get exposed to a lot of Splits its just natural to start thinking about them. Go for it! Nothing wrong with having several busses right?

Yeah, there are a lot of guys on here with multiple VWs of all makes and years. And it's cool to see the variations they collect. But one is plenty for me. No space, no time and no money for more than that. But I feel very fortunate to have come across Chloe when I did. She needed rescuing, and I needed the hobby.

It's kinda funny... When CarlosZ stopped by, he didn't think it was Chloe at first, since it had so many bumps and dings, as well as the dull original paint in most places. So I guess she looks better in pictures at a distance than she does close up and in person. But that's how I like her. We both show our age and battle scars. Wink

---WildIdea

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

[quote="KentPS"]
WildIdea wrote:
KentPS,

It's kinda funny... When CarlosZ stopped by, he didn't think it was Chloe at first, since it had so many bumps and dings, as well as the dull original paint in most places. So I guess she looks better in pictures at a distance than she does close up and in person. But that's how I like her. We both show our age and battle scars. Wink

Kent- it's called the "20--20--" effect- looks great from 20 feet away at 20 miles an hour Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Kent- it's called the "20--20--" effect- looks great from 20 feet away at 20 miles an hour Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Also known as "a B.O.B."... Better Off Blurry. Laughing

I heard a girl in a bar once say that about a guy she saw from a distance, as he got closer.
Girls can be so mean! Guys aren't that way... Rolling Eyes

---WildIdea

CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

It was great meeting you, Chloe and William. There weren't too many Rivieras representing. I think both were the same color and I hit up the guy with the nicest one and it happened to be Chloe.

You did have a pretty nice spot on the grass unlike those of us packed in the gravel ghetto. I was officially #564. I camped with the German toys VW club from Mexicali and had a great time. Too bad you didn't return at night for some tequila.

Hope to see you and Chloe at future events.

Carlos
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Nothing to report regarding Chloe, The Samba or anything of general interest....
Except to say, THIS IS MY 1000th POSTING ON THE SAMBA! Dancing

Damm... I didn't know I had 1000 topics worth talking about.
Guess I'm more verbose than I ever thought.
It must be time to shut up and start listening. Laughing

---WildIdea

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I didn't know I had 1000 topics worth talking about.

Well you've posted at least three times in this thread, and at least twice in my social banter excuses for engine builds. So there's only 9,995 more to go……

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 57

Jump to: