Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid engine K20
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Immm Back!!!! The Gaunch Launcher will live again, hopefully this year...fingers crossed This has been sitting for a loooooong time now, Shut down our business....moved 5 hours away, changed careers... and Im getting very ansy to get working on this again. Using a K20 out of a 2008 civic SI with a 6 speed tranny and limited slip. Im using the whole subframe assembly to keep it simple. Plan is for 400 whp ish with a turbo It will have a full cage since this is my race car and I cut out the firewall and its required to be caged to race. I really want 275 -325 tires under the rear fenders. The track is 4" wider each side as it sits, I can get custom rims to make it all work. Next step to do is cut out the fenderwells and firewall right up to the vents, get rid of the electric steering rack, and anchor the tranny and tie rods to subframe, then tie off cage to rear of subframe, the front is already tied into the torsion tubes. work does keep me busy many evenings so updates will be somewhat slooow, but my goal is to have this done this year on the road fingers crossed. One thing that will slow me down is how small the garage is, there just is not alot of room to do things width or length wise. Most can relate..move everything to move something else, then move it all back once done...

I would be very happy with this kind of HP and not really wanting any more than 500. I ran 18psi on my singleport and got 230whp ish and trapped 120mph weighing 1850 with me in the car. These Kseries engines are nuts. I already have a K24 sitting here for when the K20 blows but I tune conservatively so it should last awhile at 15 psi and 94 octane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwu3s6jma8

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Billyisgr8 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

SWEET!!!! 4Wheel Steer? Smile
Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

I cant believe how little I got done on the beetle this past year. New years resolution....get er done.

As it sits right now

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

This is so awesome!! Please finish that monster and give us 1/4 mile times!!!
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Cool project Very Happy ...is this going to be street legal? ...those k motors are the only ones I've been told that turns clockwise. ..not sure how much you visit other topics here on the forum but will say you have your work cut out for you. ..I did a full rebody on VW chassis in 7months while being a OTR truck driver...I understand what it's like to have a busy work schedule.

I went from this

To this

This was 49 days of work.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress pics, though you have another set of obstacles to overcome. ..wish you luck Dancing

VeeWeeman
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Glad to see the Gaunch Launcher again!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Any progress update? ...I'm really looking forward to seeing more progress. ..those k 20 engines are pretty bad ass!
Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

ughhh, my work is so demanding, I have not touched the car since Feb, but I am thinking about it lots if that counts.
Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

from pinterest https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/626774473120013127/

Lately my work is only monday to friday now...yah!!!! this has given me more time to work on the beetle. I got my struts mounted, and am working on the engine mounts, got 2 made, will instal into the cage, then I can do the other 2. I am trying very hard to make sure this is making it to the track this year and to keep only working monday to friday.
I also decided to not put on the turbo yet even though I have the turbo, it will just add so much more time and tuning. At Least I will be able to see what a NA K20 will do in a beetle. I would think I could run a mid 12 to 13 run at 104 ish. Well see.
Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Making progress, only 7 more weekends till the great canadian VW show, hoping I can get it done

Billyisgr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine K20 Reply with quote

Getting closer, finishing up the water lines, then fuel pump, then wiring. new firewall / radiator shield / will be put in after everything is running and good
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: