Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Which years/models of Beetle had factory access windows in the kick panels, which looks like a forethought to simplify defroster tube replacement at the rocker/heater tube location?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, bugs only have a very small access hole in the kickpanel area near where the heater channel outlet tube is at the front of the car. The hole is about the size of a nickel I think.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Okay, the picture is a little more clear now that I got these photos from my buddy. These are from his 1966 U.S. convertible. So it turns out that only the driver's side has the window (which discounts the defrost tube theory), and it definitely looks factory judging by the rolled edges, original paint and carpet adhesive all around it. What's interesting are what appear to be some sort of tooling holes or something, on both sides of the car, which are symmetrical from side to side.

For comparison, his '68 vert (which used to be mine Very Happy ) and his '78 vert, don't have these. I seem to recall a post, maybe by Tim Donahoe, that showed one that he had or had seen, maybe even with a pic. But these kick panel openings do seem to be rare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

I didn’t even consider a ‘vert. I haven’t owned or picked through one, and I know they have a different stiffenening structure.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

With it only being on the driver's side, I'd guess its purpose was more likely to facilitate installation of the wire harness.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't mention in my opening post that my subject vehicle was a convertible.

We were thinking it may have had something to do with the harness too. Be interesting to hear more input.

Thanks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Those 4 round holes don't look factory. Maybe used for a brace during a body R&R on the pan?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Perhaps...I haven't had my eyes on this car in person. But he's had it a couple decades, and it's largely in original paint, and we have no reason to believe it's ever been rehabbed in any way. I don't know that anybody repairing it would've put effort into placing those holes symmetrically.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Those 4 round holes don't look factory. Maybe used for a brace during a body R&R on the pan?

My 67 vert has the identical holes in the side kick panels. And I am wondering why.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Beats me! However, my experience is with Sedans which only have the small hole down there up there. By the early 70s, both sides gained a larger access hole on both sides though, the early small holes were a joke and not really even usable.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
My 67 vert has the identical holes in the side kick panels. And I am wondering why.

Good stuff! Herrbern, for my clarification: your '67 vert has the four round holes and the rectangular access window? I'm glad you found this thread and have this input.

I am incapable of doing multiple quotes, but...Andy, is that last pic with the huge square opening from a 'vert or sedan?

I still believe that some holes were for tooling, and others actually served some assembly or maintenance purpose...what these particular ones are specifically for, I am not speculating here Cool
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

You simply cant compare Sedans to Convertibles in that area... they are visually different.

The large rectangular hole on convertibles were for wiring harness facilitating.
Topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614699

1964 and older model year the hole is smaller and on the right.
1965 and newer model year the hole is on the left.
(convertibles)

The small round holes on convertibles are believed to be for jigging while welding the inner front quarter support that sedans do not have.

Busstom wrote:

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

I am incapable of doing multiple quotes, but...Andy, is that last pic with the huge square opening from a 'vert or sedan?Cool

I tried to preface my comment as to it being 1970s Sedan... As for that particular example I think it was a 1973 Super Beetle Sedan. Razz

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Defrost Tube Access Windows Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for the link, all those pics confirm my suspicion regarding originality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: