Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lights instead of semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

My '56 came with pretty much every original part aside from running boards (missing) and semaphores - which were replaced with thin Hella lights.
However after a closer look I'm wondering if the lights are actually "original" - i.e. installed by VW over here for delivery (it's an Australian CKD).
The fit is perfect for the space where the semaphore would go, and the ageing/discolouration on the orange lens doesn't match the discolouration on the other indicators (that I know were installed well after the car was new), and the chrome is also a good match for the rest of the chrome on the car.
Has anyone come across these lights before? Is there any chance they are "original", and I can happily clean them up and put them back on rather than hunt down sempahores?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

They are not factory, your car came with semaphores. Here are a set like yours for sale.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=2068547

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Certain countries or states made you make your vehicle up to code. These were for that.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Nicknamed “elephant ears”

I put them on my 54, just liked the look versus semaphores and rare to see on US cars as they were made for European market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

OK so sounds like while they're not "factory", they were created specifically for the purpose of replacing VW semaphores?

If that's the case I might stick with them, as I do think they look fine, and obviously are safer.

Thanks for the responses!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Yes, in the 60’s some European countries banned the semaphores and made everyone convert to these. There are seversl different versions

Here’s a pic of mine

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Tons of em getting around in Aus, if it's not a show car I wouldn't worry too much, easier to hook up to a flasher relay and drive safely.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Here are a set I picked up not that long ago.

markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

Perhaps one day when your car is totally finished and you are missing working on it and making little improvements you could perhaps fit semaphores to your car.

I know you are fitting indicators, good thinking, but the absolute delight the semaphores give to people is totally fantastic.

Something that very few cars have the ability to provide.

Pretty special in my opinion.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lights instead of semaphores Reply with quote

a thread back from the dead - at easter too! Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: