Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you? Gas line replacement
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Hello-

The rubber gas line that is already in seems to look good. I ran a smooth electrical snake thru and no obstruction. Not sure how long it has been in there.

I do have a new 5MM ID FUEL HOSE. CLOTH COVERED that I can replace with. I did notice that the current rubber fuel line in, has a little bit bigger diameter.

So I guess I'm wondering what others would do ... keep it or replace?

Thanks,
Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

I replace all fuel lines every 2-3 years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I do have a new 5MM ID FUEL HOSE. CLOTH COVERED that I can replace with. I did notice that the current rubber fuel line in, has a little bit bigger diameter.

So I guess I'm wondering what others would do ... keep it or replace?

You state that the existing hose is a little large. So just for that reason I would replace.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Thanks Q dog

Cusser ... just curious why you would replace with a slightly smaller diameter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Cusser ... just curious why you would replace with a slightly smaller diameter?

I would replace with the CORRECT inner diameter braided fuel hose if mine. I bought the replacement fuel hose from JBugs.com. 5mm i.d. http://www.jbugs.com/product/N203551.html

In fact, I did this last year on my 1970 when I resurrected it (on mine the fuel line from tank to pan was still the original, and maybe also for the pan back to the metal line through the tin).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

I change out my fuel hoses, every 7 years, with the correct hose, bought fresh. Do not use a larger hose or old hose. Rubber starts deteriorating as soon as it hits the air. It has a shelf life of no more than 12 good years under perfect conditions. Any impact (smog) accelerated the hose greatly. So, every 7 for me with quality 5mm braided hose.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Gotcha ... so I guess I need to research if the 5MM is a correct diameter for 74 beetle
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

This is the one I purchased:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209185
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Gotcha ... so I guess I need to research if the 5MM is a correct diameter for 74 beetle

http://www.jbugs.com/product/N203551.html
"Product Description: This VW Braided Fuel Hose is German made. The inside diameter is 5 millimeters and it is sold by the foot. This is the size of fuel hose to be used from the gas tank to the metal fuel line and in the engine copartment from metal lines to fuel pump and to the carburetor. This is for use with engines with carburetors only- not for fuel injection. "

1974 Beetle is carbureted.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser ... looks like the one I bought at WWest is the same...

Thanks for the feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Um.... Dudes....

Doesn't that picture look like the rubber line is entering the tunnel?

Mark - Has the metal line through the tunnel been replaced with a rubber one?

Maybe I just need glasses, I don`t even know if it's possible to do what I just described anyway. Well it's cold outside and it was a good excuse to say hello to everybody so hello everybody.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Hi Buggeee

Yes ... the entire length from where it starts under where the gas tank would go, into the tunnel, all the way thru the tunnel and then out from the read driver side "fork"; and then from there it would attached to the carb.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Oh the things you’ll see when working on old cars. I’d run a new metal line it’s not that big a deal.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Oh the things you’ll see when working on old cars. I’d run a new metal line it’s not that big a deal.

So would I. I didn't realize the metal line was gone. I don't like to run a rubber line where I can't see it, like inside the tunnel.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

So Zundfolge1432 and Q Dog ....

I guess I didn't realize one could run a metal line from the tank to carb.

Is it run along the tunnel inside the car (buggy)? Is there a diagram you might know where I might put my fingers on?

The run inside he tunnel seems like that is how is was designed originally.

I guess I need to ponder both ideas (original and metal line) before I commit.

Thank you.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

You can run a metal line inside the car.
VW had a service bulletin on it.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
So Zundfolge1432 and Q Dog ....

I guess I didn't realize one could run a metal line from the tank to carb.

Is it run along the tunnel inside the car (buggy)? Is there a diagram you might know where I might put my fingers on?

The run inside he tunnel seems like that is how is was designed originally.

I guess I need to ponder both ideas (original and metal line) before I commit.

Thank you.

I thought the metal gas line inside the tunnel was standard all years. I believe the rubber you have was done by the PO and is not original. I have replaced mine sometIme in the last 10 years during engine or tranny replacement while I was “ there”. But non of thE 20 year old stuff I had pulled out was “was about to break” or so dried and cracked that it was on its deathbed. I agree that the fuel lines should be Inspected regularly. But I think it is excessive to replace every 2 years unless you use really crappy line or it is all exposed to direct sunlight
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I’d run a new metal line it’s not that big a deal.

So would I. I didn't realize the metal line was gone. I don't like to run a rubber line where I can't see it, like inside the tunnel.[/quote]

That was a good catch on the rubber line being INSIDE the tunnel, I didn't notice that.

Yes, I'd replace with new steel line inside the tunnel.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you? Gas line replacement Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses AND diagrams....

So from what I am reading a metal line seems to be the popular choice... which begs the question: why do places sell non-metal fuel lines if not a good idea ... or is it more of a personal preference from you gents?

So if I do replace with a metal line, I am thinking of going inside the tunnel as it seems unsafe to have a metal line riding along the "outside" of the tunnel which is exposed to me or a rider kicking it (it's a dune buggy).

I'll post what I do end up doing.

Thanks !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: