Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
combslv1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Hello, newbie here thank you for listening, I am looking for some help please.

I recently purchased a 1970 VW bug sedan.

Here is the problem; when I am driving and I have the Stereo on (Aftermarket stereo – Custom Autosound “Concourse Series USA-230) and when I use the left turn signal the stereo cuts out (no sound) and the light on the stereo blinks with the blinker. However the issue resolves it's self when I turn the left blinker off, the stereo goes back to sounding and working normally.

I have a 10 fuse - fuse block

The stereo's Yellow Wire (Battery - constant power, always ON regardless of the position of the key switch) is hooked up to fuse block in the number #2 (second row from the left / passenger side of the car), see Photo #1.

The stereo's Red Wire (Ignition - Switched OFF when the key is in the OFF position) is attached (via a yellow plastic coupler), see Photo #2 and Photo #3 up to a black/white wire that come off a TR Top Relay TRP 412.400 – 49a (I believe). According to my research I think this wire (49a) is the Emergency Switch & Turn Switch.

Is there an easy fix to this? Seems like the problem is the Red Wire (Ignition - Switched OFF when the key is in the OFF position) correct?

Thank you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

That wire going to the relay is the pulsating voltage for your directionals.

That wire should be removed and the damages repaired there. Then connect that wire to the fuse at the other end of the fuse panel. It should have black feed wires on the high side of the panel and black on the low side, except for one light green one. Either the last one or the next to last one may work.

Please take a test light or volt meter to confirm ignition power with Key on engine off in the run position.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Haha I can't believe someone would pull power for the radio from a wire attached to a relay. Crazyness.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

I have seen way crazier things! Had someone utilize an O2 sensor signal wire for an alarm system. Rolled into my shop with an O2 low voltage code and running like crap! I have seen quit a bit of crazy wiring issues. Good times!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Wow that is a cool prank to pull on someone.
On the over all condition of the connections. Clean them up as they appear to be corroded after all of these years. Ok how do I do that. Obtain a dremel tool. Use the small wire wheel, one at a time remove each connector, use the dremel wire wheel to make them shiny. Also remove the fuses, make the connections that the fuse contacts shiny, then on every ground connection.
If you do decide to improve the current flow by the above procedure disconnect the battery first.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

from the photos, you have some fairly dirty corroded connections on the fuse panel. disconnect your battery before working on them, remove the connectors (mark them or take great photos first for reference) and get that cleaned up, shiny brass is what you want, do likewise on the fuse connections, and replace old fuses as the ends get corroded too. you may find everything works better, brighter, and happier with all that near 0.4 century old grim and corrosion cleaned up
Do likewise on the switch connectors, key switch, headlight switch, etc...

And after that address a major fire risk on your fuel system, see link at bottom of this post for engine fires and safety wires.

Good Luck, Bug On with a Great Electrical System! Only You Can Prevent Voltage Drops so says a Bavarian Bear!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Yes, red power wire is connected to wrong location - at the flasher relay - and uses a connector I don't like. Amazing the Doofus-like wiring we find on these old VWs, guy who installed that likely thought he knew what he was doing !!!

If you have a yellow "memory" wire, that should be connected to fuse box location like for dome light, which is always powered.

Connect to a "switched" fuse location on the fuse block, get a dual-male connector from the parts store if you need that.

I also see a home-wiring wire nut in that photo, ridiculous !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
combslv1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help, here is an update.

I came the realization that you can't do this job correctly with out a test light, down to the auto store I went.

After testing all tabs on the fuse block panel (under the front deck lid) with the Key ON and Key OFF I found that the only tab that always has power with the key not in the ignition is TAB #1 (far left side of the fuse panel / passengers side). I relocated the stereo yellow wire (battery / memory wire) to Tab #1.

Then I disconnected the red wire (Ignition Wire) from the flasher wire, as you guys suggested (thank you) and repaired the huge gash the clip left, then I moved the red wire to TAB #10 (far right side of the fuse panel / drivers side). This tab available on the fuse block and tested off (no power) when the key was not in the ignition.

The wife and I took the car for a spin, turned on the stereo and then turn signal and PRESTO problem fixed, no more stereo cutting in and out!!

Please feel free to let me know if I missed something and/or did something wrong - Stereo works.... Just don't want to screw something up with a parasitic drain to the battery.

Thank you again for all your help - enjoy the photo!!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

combslv1970 wrote:
I came the realization that you can't do this job correctly with out a test light..

Or a DC voltmeter/multimeter. Actually, I like the DC test light better for stuff like this. In fact, I bought three extra ones on clearance at O'Reilly a few years ago, for the whopping price of 17 cents each; replacement bulbs would be more than that - if one can find them !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

That’s great. Sounds like you got it! Enjoy driving with the new tunes!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Just wanted to give some feedback...
combslv1970 wrote:

This is the trunk side of the fuse box. The fuses are numbered L-to-R as seen from the driver's seat. This means fuse #1 is the right hand most connections in the above pic (closest to the left side of the car) and the left hand most fuse (closest to passenger) is fuse #10. So the numbers you were using were reversed.

Both of your stereo wires should have inline fuse holders. This means their power source does NOT need to be protected by a fuse. This is important. Connecting your stereo power wires to the OUTPUT (protected) side of the fuse means they are adding load to the fuse in the fuse box. By connecting your wires to the INPUT (unprotected) side of the fuse you do NOT add a greater load to the fuse in the fuse box.
From your pic above, I can see the INPUT side of the fuse box is the top edge. This means your red and yellow wires should connect to the spade at the top side of the fuse and not the bottom side. Your yellow wire in the above pic is on the wrong side of fuse #9. You may need to install a splitter (like you have on the bottom of fuse #10) on the INPUT side of the fuses you plan to use. Check your FLAPS for such splitters.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
combslv1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Thank you for the follow-up and again thank you to everyone for the support and suggestions, this form and the members are a wealth of knowledge beyond belief.

I just want to make 100% sure I am doing this correctly, in my handwritten diagram is the “Current” position of the stereo’s YELLOW WIRE (Battery/Memory – always ON regardless of the position of the key) and the stereo’s RED WIRE (Ignition Wire – Switched OFF when the key is in the off position).

The suggestion is as follows;
move the yellow wire (Currently in Tab 10) and the red wire (Currently in Tab 1) from the output bottom row closest to the bumper (Fuse Protected side) to the input top row closest to the dash board (Fuse Unprotected Side).

You are correct, both of the stereo wires (Yellow and Red) have inline fuse holders.

Here are current pictures of the wires on the fuse block since my last picture post.

The gunk on the current fuse block is the light over spray from the paint job (VW Gemini Blue Metallic L96E) which I will get cleaned off with the dremel and the wire wheel. As soon as I get the stereo issue resolved.

Thanks again guys!!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Per your question you COULD move the red and yellow wires to the UN-FUSED side of the fuse box because they have their own inline fuses, but there's really no advantage in doing this.

My own yellow and red wires do have in-line fuses, and are on the FUSED side of the fuse box. I've never burnt out any of those fuses or inline fuses either.

The inline fuses are quite small amp ratings, and if something shorted at the stereo, those inline fuses would burn out before the 8-amp fuses in the fuse boxes would.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Per your question you COULD move the red and yellow wires to the UN-FUSED side of the fuse box because they have their own inline fuses, but there's really no advantage in doing this.

Sorry Cusser, but I have to agree with ashman40 on this. Adding the load to the fused side puts an extra amount of current load on the existing fuse when it is totally unnecessary to do so.

Just keep in mind that there is a limit to the amount of current that can be drawn from the unfused side of the panel before the safe current carrying limits of the supply wire are exceeded.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

combslv1970 wrote:
You are correct, both of the stereo wires (Yellow and Red) have inline fuse holders.

Good. This means those inline fuses will protect the stereo. You can get power from an unprotected source like the INPUT side of the fuses.

combslv1970 wrote:
The suggestion is as follows;

move the yellow wire (Currently in Tab 10) and the red wire (Currently in Tab 1) from the output bottom row closest to the bumper (Fuse Protected side) to the input top row closest to the dash board (Fuse Unprotected Side).

Yes, this is correct.
From the other pics you have provided it seems clear that you already have enough splitters.
I can see an unused male spade at the INPUT of fuse #10 (left side of the pic). Just move your yellow wire to this INPUT terminal.
From your pics I can't really see the splitter on fuse #1 (right side of pic) but you could always reuse the splitter on the OUTPUT side of fuse #10 once you move the yellow wire. Move the splitter to the INPUT side of #1 (or #2) fuse and you can connect your red wire there.

To Cusser's comment, I have to disagree. There are different reasons for NOT using the OUTPUT side of fuse #10 and fuse #1.
    Fuse #10 - This was a SPARE fuse in '70 and not assigned to anything per the wiring diagram. In the OP's case they are using fuse #10 to power something (red wire?). As long as the current draw of that circuit + the current draw from the stereo do not exceed the 8A rating of fuse #10 (7A would be a safe max load) then you aren't likely to blow the fuse and are okay. Still, it is better practice to not have two fuses inline with each other as it just makes for confusion when later troubleshooting.

Fuse #1 - This is a little more difficult. This 8A fuse powers the following:
    - Fuel gauge
    - Turn signals
    - Horn
    The horn and turn signals draw a fair amount of current but rarely do you use them at the same time. When you do you may be pushing the limit of the 8A fuse. Also the turn signals are pulsing current draw so the average current draw is not actually the full current draw of powering the bulbs 100% of the time).
    Adding the stereo to this OUTPUT side of fuse #1 adds more load to the fuse and while the stereo's load added to the turn signal or horn separately may not exceed the 8A rating of the fuse... when the day comes when the OP is blasting the stereo while making a turn and has to hit the horn and all three stop working... it will be a sad day and they will regret connecting the red stereo wire to the OUTPUT side of the fuse... when they didn't need to. Shocked Confused

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
To Cusser's comment, I have to disagree.

Luft kühl wrote:
Sorry Cusser, but I have to agree with ashman40 on this. Adding the load to the fused side puts an extra amount of current load on the existing fuse when it is totally unnecessary to do so.

Just keep in mind that there is a limit to the amount of current that can be drawn from the unfused side of the panel before the safe current carrying limits of the supply wire are exceeded.

Cusser wrote:
My own yellow and red wires do have in-line fuses, and are on the FUSED side of the fuse box. I've never burnt out any of those fuses or inline fuses either.

I see what you guys are saying, and understand. But in 45 years with my 1970 and 41 years with my 1971 and no issues my way, I doubt that I'll bother changing, figure I'm good for another 86 years !!!
combslv1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Thank you again for all your posts!! Great news, the stereo works perfect and for that I am very appreciative!! I am considering getting a new fuse block instead of trying to clean the existing one and go from there!! You guys are the best!! Fahrvergnügen on!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

combslv1970 wrote:
I am considering getting a new fuse block instead of trying to clean the existing one and go from there!!

My 1970 VW had sat on the side of my house for 23 years; last year I resurrected it. For the fuse box, I cleaned it all up. I had the battery disconnected, and used a Dremel small wire brush to clean up all the terminals and also the tabs where the fuses themselves would fit in. Works great.

Make sure do do this sequentially, don't mess up the wires any more than they are !
combslv1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Bug - Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Thank you Cusser, I have always been a big fan of your previous posts / reply's on other topics. I just had total hip surgery and cleaning the fuse block is number one on my list to do once I am back on my feet....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: