Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Is a pit bike the cheapester motorized form of transportation

was looking at everything, motorized bikes, scooters, stand up scooters (thinking they were the best, the even can come with a seat, but I live in Cali so the shiftable one is banned, why )

Whats best

Whats cheapest, best deal for buck
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

This will probably get moved to off-topic, but here's an opinion: Used Honda elite/aero scooter from the 80s.
Have some shred of dignity. Pit bikes are for guys who tipped over a Ninja once and couldn't lift it back up.

Now if you can't qualify for an SR-22 and your DUI is keeping you out of a license for a year- then a powered bike or go-ped is the way to go. You've already lost your girlfriend so there's no dignity at stake. Around here anyway, that's the in-thing to pedal when you're a license-revoked, hoofin' it walmart biker clubin' kinda guy. Be extra cool and tune the thing to run at 35mph and never, ever use lights or a helmet.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
but here's an opinion: Used Honda elite/aero scooter from the 80s.

Yep.. I've got a little '98 Honda Elite SE and it's adorable, picked it up for a few hundred.
Bizarre to think it's almost 20 years old; it'll do 25mph stock, 35 if you remove the restrictors.
Pic - http://i.imgur.com/jW8ir5e.jpg

Most pit bikes aren't street legal as sold, did a quick search and found this snip for California -
"Any off-highway motorcycle purchased after December 31, 2003 is not eligible for on-highway or dual use registration unless the manufacturer originally certified the vehicle to meet the California on-highway emission standards."
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/blog/2015/02/25/legit-dirt-bike-street-legal/
You'll have to look a little more into that if you want to go down that path.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Buy a used Grom. 130+ mpg and a 60mph top speed.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
hitest wrote:
but here's an opinion: Used Honda elite/aero scooter from the 80s.

Yep.. I've got a little '98 Honda Elite SE and it's adorable, picked it up for a few hundred.
Bizarre to think it's almost 20 years old; it'll do 25mph stock, 35 if you remove the restrictors.
Pic - http://i.imgur.com/jW8ir5e.jpg

Off the topic but did they make them slower or restrict them at some point?
I had an '86 a long time ago and it maxed out at around 40mph.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Legal thing.. NC limits mopeds to 30mph, some other states just specify a 50cc engine.

My 50cc Elite SE came with a restrictor plate welded in the exhaust, a limiter on the transmission, and a smaller jet. Kept it from running >25mph, easy enough to fix.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Legal thing.. NC limits mopeds to 30mph, some other states just specify a 50cc engine.

My 50cc Elite SE came with a restrictor plate welded in the exhaust, a limiter on the transmission, and a smaller jet. Kept it from running >25mph, easy enough to fix.

Most states also define a moped as having bicycle pedals. Without them, it's a motorized scooter/ motorcycle. Does NC actually classify the Elite as a moped?

Interestingly enough, Idaho does not recognize a moped, so even though I have clear title to both of mine, I cannot get an ID title nor can I register and insure mine. All of the cops I have spoken with about it just said to ride it anyway.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Most states also define a moped as having bicycle pedals. Without them, it's a motorized scooter/ motorcycle. Does NC actually classify the Elite as a moped?

Interestingly enough, Idaho does not recognize a moped, so even though I have clear title to both of mine, I cannot get an ID title nor can I register and insure mine. All of the cops I have spoken with about it just said to ride it anyway.

Yep,
"State statute defines a moped as having "two or three wheels, no external shifter, with a motor not to exceed 50 cubic centimeters of piston displacement and up to 30 mph propulsion on a level surface."
And prior to 2015 you didn't even need to register a moped in NC. Now they need plates and insurance to be road legal.. still don't need a license.

Today I learned that moped laws vary quite a bit state to state - http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/mopeds-other/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of stransportation LOOk Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Yep,
"State statute defines a moped as having "two or three wheels, no external shifter, with a motor not to exceed 50 cubic centimeters of piston displacement and up to 30 mph propulsion on a level surface."
And prior to 2015 you didn't even need to register a moped in NC. Now they need plates and insurance to be road legal.. still don't need a license.

Today I learned that moped laws vary quite a bit state to state - http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/mopeds-other/

Interesting read. Funny that the short description of Idaho's rules partly contradict what I found when I researched them last year.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Look up honda super cub. The most popular vehicle in the world and you've probably never seen one.

Most pit bikes are based on real low cost motorcycles, sold in america as toys. They don't sell the actual bikes here very often because nobody wants to buy them and/or they don't fit in with the laws. You need a low cost, bare bones motorcycle, but it is very hard to buy a real one here.

The problem with pit bikes is they are toys and toys don't need to work, so a lot of them ARE crap quality.

Get a REAL name brand, if it's toy size or full size.

I had a mini-chopper, all chinese made parts, it was darn cool....but I could not sell it. Everybody that wanted to buy it was in bad shape, wanted it to use as a real vehicle.....but I could not take their money, because this think was a TOY, it's break some part every other time I'd ride it and that's fine for ME, but that's not going to work for them.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Look up honda super cub. The most popular vehicle in the world and you've probably never seen one.

The Honda CT 90 is a variant of the Super Cub that was sold here. Very capable little bike, it has a dual-range transmission, so it can go 50 mph on the road and climb steep hills off-road. They are somewhat collectible, so you can get your money back out of it when you sell, unlike most bikes that crash in value.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CT90
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
modok wrote:

The Honda CT 90 is a variant of the Super Cub that was sold here. Very capable little bike, it has a dual-range transmission, so it can go 50 mph on the road and climb steep hills off-road. They are somewhat collectible, so you can get your money back out of it when you sell, unlike most bikes that crash in value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CT90

One of the nicest motor vehicles I have ever owned. No clutch, brakes on the handlebars, 4-stroke Honda reliability, step through, quiet and very good gas mileage. I weighed 225 when I last owned one so the top speed was just under 45, which is plenty for that bike. The prices have held up (or increased) through the years because it is a good bike in continual demand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I own a 1965.
While I'm not as sexy as Ann-Margret in "Viva Las Vegas" while riding it - it's my commuter to/from work and running errands in the spring, summer and fall.
It's comfortable and easy to ride (even if I'm a bit too tall for it), 3-speed w/automatic clutch, gets around 175mpg, very simple to work on (if you ever need to) and doesn't require insurance or a license endorsement (in my state).
The taller tires are much better on rough surfaces than the small tires on a Vespa, Spree, or other popular scooters.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Yamaha Zuma scooter….. The older two-strokers are the way to go….
Will do 40 stock, 50+for not much money...
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

Everybody makes fun of my 1975 Honda ST90 saying it's not a real motorcycle like their "hogs", but they ALL ask if they can ride it.

Geoff
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:
Everybody makes fun of my 1975 Honda ST90 saying it's not a real motorcycle like their "hogs", but they ALL ask if they can ride it.

Geoff

"Only if I get to ride yours" usually shuts them up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
modok wrote:

I own a 1965.
While I'm not as sexy as Ann-Margret in "Viva Las Vegas" while riding it - it's my commuter to/from work and running errands in the spring, summer and fall.
It's comfortable and easy to ride (even if I'm a bit too tall for it), 3-speed w/automatic clutch, gets around 175mpg, very simple to work on (if you ever need to) and doesn't require insurance or a license endorsement (in my state).
The taller tires are much better on rough surfaces than the small tires on a Vespa, Spree, or other popular scooters.

I will have to put my vote on the Super Cub as well. The wifey has one and we have souped it up a bit. Most fun bike in our collection. We have put a Lifan 125cc engine in and put a few more hop up parts on it. All 6'1 and 220lbs of me has had it up to 65mph. Here is a video of a new stainless exhaust install.

Link
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pit bikes as an alternative form of transportation Reply with quote

one each CT90 and CT110. thinking about upgrading the CT110 with an ATC125M engine.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: