Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oxy Type V project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Very impressive build, keep it up Applause

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

long block is done minus pushrods. next up is finding someone to weld some aluminum and get the intake routing figured out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Where's the "like" button ? Wink

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Thanks Vince. Things are slow as funds are tight, but its getting there. Need to decide on a clutch disc and figure out how Im going to run my intake tubes to the turbo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
Thanks Vince. Things are slow as funds are tight, but its getting there. Need to decide on a clutch disc and figure out how Im going to run my intake tubes to the turbo.

I have tested a Stage I and CB super disc and they are good to about 200 ft. lbs. torque.
If your power target is higher you might want to get a Stage II and a decent disc. A stage II is supposedly good to 220 ft. lbs.

Depending on your boost level you might power through that too.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

I have a stage 2 PP. debating on what disc to use. will be 90% aggressive street use
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
I have a stage 2 PP. debating on what disc to use. will be 90% aggressive street use

I will probably go for the Stage II and a CB Super Disc. My Wife rides with me a quite a bit so I need a Buggy with good manners. I doubt my intake and heads will support more than 220 ft. lbs. torque.

What kind of hp are you aiming for????

Which turbo are you going to use?

At 220 ft. lbs torque You will probably be seeing north of 250 whp.

There are few if any strokers that will put that hp out N/A and will never get that much torque.
The one that possibly could wouldn't be worth a toot on the street.

Post the engine size, rpm, hp and boost targets you want and I'll plug them into my favorite calculator for some results.

Edit.....I read your build and see you have the transmission for it........so I removed some of my post.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

I will probably go for the Stage II and a CB Super Disc. My Wife rides with me a quite a bit so I need a Buggy with good manners. I doubt my intake and heads will support more than 220 ft. lbs. torque.

There are few if any strokers that will put that hp out N/A and will never get that much torque.

Post the engine size, rpm, hp and boost targets you want and I'll plug them into my favorite calculator for some results.

Edit.....I read your build and see you have the transmission for it........so I removed some of my post.

so its 94 x 80, so a 2221
I had Shag/ SL1 racing match the heads, cam and turbo. Turbo is a T3/4e 54trim compressor and stg3 turbine. .48 a/r housing. wanted a max rpm of 7000. as for boost, Id say it will be kept low until all issues have been debugged from the car and injection system... so...7lbs?
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

had to make up a new crank sensor bracket. Purchased a kit from Mario at the Dub Shop for the waterboxer, but using the type 1 pulley that I am, the sensor ran out of room, so I moved it from the side to the top

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Nice engine project build. ..I just have to ask why turn a water cooled vw into a air cooled version...with all the aftermarket aluminum cases available, I don't get it. ..I've enjoyed reading and love all the attention to the detail pics. ..you have autocraft, TF1, CB Performance, EMPI and many other bad ass engine cases available. ..why go through all the hassle and all the machine work. ..I've even heard of using the waterboxer crank in a mag case...I get that the crank is better designed than the gland nut crank, so why not a aftermarket aluminum case with the waterboxer crank?...I don't know much about the waterboxer engine other than the constant head gasket problems they where known for.

Either way you do it. ..it's your build and I will be watching for more updates...do you plan on using a engine dyno to tune that monster?
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Nice engine project build. ..I just have to ask why turn a water cooled vw into a air cooled version...with all the aftermarket aluminum cases available, I don't get it. ..I've enjoyed reading and love all the attention to the detail pics. ..you have autocraft, TF1, CB Performance, EMPI and many other bad ass engine cases available. ..why go through all the hassle and all the machine work. ..I've even heard of using the waterboxer crank in a mag case...I get that the crank is better designed than the gland nut crank, so why not a aftermarket aluminum case with the waterboxer crank?...I don't know much about the waterboxer engine other than the constant head gasket problems they where known for.

Either way you do it. ..it's your build and I will be watching for more updates...do you plan on using a engine dyno to tune that monster?

no "need" other that the experience. The block is made from diecast aluminum which Im told is much stronger.... that and in the end, its still a VW part and not aftermarket
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
clonebug wrote:

so its 94 x 80, so a 2221
I had Shag/ SL1 racing match the heads, cam and turbo. Turbo is a T3/4e 54trim compressor and stg3 turbine. .48 a/r housing. wanted a max rpm of 7000. as for boost, Id say it will be kept low until all issues have been debugged from the car and injection system... so...7lbs?

Using your build specs, rpm target and boost level you get.

Peak hp 250
AFR 12.0:1
BSFC .55 (default)
IAT's 130 * F.
VE .95 (default)
Max RPM 7000
CI. 135

8.42 lbs Boost required
27.5 lbs. air/min
340.78 CFM

Find out what your turbo will flow in CFM's.

I'll guess that turbo should support about 375 to 450 hp.

You could easily run less rpm and add some boost to get the same hp.

Get a decent intercooler and/or WI on it if you go over 8-10 lbs. boost .

I have both installed now and it makes a big difference.

Just for giggles 400 hp would take 22.29 lbs boost and 545.25 CFM which just might be a little too much for that turbo......I could be wrong though. Wink

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Hmmm... thanks. Yes, it will have an intercooler and will also be runniing e85.
What are you running for an intercooler? Air to air or water to air?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:
Hmmm... thanks. Yes, it will have an intercooler and will also be runniing e85.
What are you running for an intercooler? Air to air or water to air?

I installed an air to air intercooler.

It's from a Twin Turbo Audi V6 3.0 L. Probably too small for your size engine but for me it was free...... Wink

It drops my IAT's another 30 plus degrees combined with the WI.

During some dyno pulls I was seeing IAT's of 73* F at 20.5 lbs. boost.

I never see it that low.......I had ambient air temps of 38-42 Degrees helping though.....

E85 is going to be nice for you.........hope you have big injectors...... Laughing

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

trying to start piecing together an intake

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

progress!?!
drbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

Hey brother, any update?
Left us starving... 😏
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Not worth the effort ...meaning he did not want to remove the studs? Did Rocky say not needed?

Adding shuffle pins will make the engine case even more stiffer.

I have spoken to another reputable engine builder ( Marco Mansini ) who loves these engines and he said shuffle pinning isn't needed until you go over 8000RPM.

I also have one of these engines in the making but what i did was to use raceware case bolts and have those act as shuffle pins.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxy Type V project Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:

Why, Why everybody wants to know why? Well for starters the case is die case which is way stronger than sand case ( CB, TF1, EMPI, possibly autocraft ).

The case is stock vw with much better bearing ( steel back bearing ) also with the case being stock you eliminate bearing fitment issues, all the oil holes in the case line up with the oil holes in the bearing.

Stock crank can withstand over 600WHP maybe someone here will counter this argument with higher horsepower figures. Have a look at these two videos of Marco Mansi engine and the skinne waterboxer engine.

Marco mansi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJsxwRKVIE

Skinne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNXPI9VviBk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: