Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

/New-to-Me Engine, what's missing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

While you have the top accessible, remove the triple ground connection (where the three white wires attach) and clean all those points shiny and clean. That is a PITA to get to when needed, and rarely remembered since its buried.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
While you have the top accessible, remove the triple ground connection (where the three white wires attach) and clean all those points shiny and clean. That is a PITA to get to when needed, and rarely remembered since its buried.

At the stage the OP is at, he could easily relocate the grounding point to somewhere with better access. I have seen a bolt brazed to the top of the #4 intake runner for this purpose.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Ok, at the very least, these connections will be cleaned well. Any products I can put on them that will keep conductivity but hold off rust?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Ok, at the very least, these connections will be cleaned well. Any products I can put on them that will keep conductivity but hold off rust?

Dielectric grease available at all auto parts stores. Some manufacturers call it bulb grease.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:

Some people have a fit because of the name "dielectric" grease believing that it will keep the electrical contacts from passing electricity. It is designed to prevent oxidation and to stay on the contacts at high temperature and is sold for the purpose of coating electrical contacts and promoting the flow of electricity. I have been using it for decades at this point in time on light bulb bases and all sorts of automotive connects and have never had it prevent the flow of electricity.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Doing some house cleaning while I wait for my GS order. Going back to an earlier post, can anyone identify the tan wire that is bundled with the oil pressure and booster fan wire?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Brown/tan is the color VW uses for ground wires. A white wire can also end up looking tan with age.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

I can try cutting the sleeve back a bit to get a better idea of it's colour, but does anyone else have these three wires bundled in this way?
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Just thinking it through and one thing I noticed is that my 'triple-connection' ground on the case only has two wires. Chances of this wire needing to ground there as well?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

No. The three light brown "ground" wires are attached to 2 of the 3 possible connections at the ground block.

Looks sort of like this from the gallery. On mine I used my wire wheel to polish both the crimp connection and the copper connector until they shine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Argh, too bad. I thought I had that one solved...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
I can try cutting the sleeve back a bit to get a better idea of it's colour, but does anyone else have these three wires bundled in this way?

Spray the wires with WD40 and wipe them down.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Ok, White with Green stripe is what it actually is....
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Great!! Now you can look on the wiring diagram for the WG wire to identify it.

Give a man a fish tape and he can pull a wire, teach a man to read a wiring diagram and can find a school of fishing wire
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Ya, it seems to go to the same side of the coil as the distributor wire. Other end goes to one of those big red dots.....
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Is there a number on the red dot? That will help you trace it.

It might be part of the diagnostic plug which is a huge connector that VW would plug in tester for service.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Looks like it has a number, just an't make out the number. I'm not too worried about this then, I know it goes to the coil now and if the other end is the diagnostic port, then I'm good with that.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Doing wiring? read this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8241067#8241067
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Thanks lil-jinx. I do have that diagram, but it's correct for my year. I just didn't know the purpose of the 'big red dots'. I would suppose that these wires are no longer required, if no technician will be plugging them in?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Reply with quote

Goach2 wrote:
Thanks lil-jinx. I do have that diagram, but it's correct for my year. I just didn't know the purpose of the 'big red dots'. I would suppose that these wires are no longer required, if no technician will be plugging them in?

Down in the right hand lower corner the dots are explained

Your green/White goes to diagnostic plug connector pin 13 per the orange dot.

Print that sucker out, laminate it, and keep in car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: