Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's Play, WTF is That!?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
looks kinda like a Hillman.

Kinda does, but it's not British.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

goliath?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tatra.
https://goo.gl/images/17JhqL

correct

'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Speaking of wagons... Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

Skoda Octavia estate wagon.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Two different cars in this series of pictures. I'd love to have either of them. The first one looks sad, the second one angry. They would have fit just fine into the Cars movie.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Don't know what they are, but now I really want a car where the doors come off with the roof in one piece.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
This is not particularly hard, however

bonus points for knowing the technical peculiarity of this car, what other famed euro maker inspired its design and what (ok this last one is easy) very similar developement was taking place in the US at the same time.

1947 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8C Monterosa.

Water-cooled V-8 engine with hemispherical combustion chambers and a 90-degree block, like Chrysler would introduce in 1951. Rear mounted engine, gearbox, and differential combined in a single block constructed from a special light-metal alloy. Front-mounted radiator. Plastic sunroof and rear window. Design reminiscent of Tatra.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

Make it red and it looks like the fire chief pedal car I wanted as a kid. Smile
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Two different cars in this series of pictures. I'd love to have either of them. The first one looks sad, the second one angry. They would have fit just fine into the Cars movie.

Looks Hungarian to me.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

This is pretty cool. I only like the sad one though, not the angry one.

Make it VW-powered!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

1947 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8C Monterosa.

Water-cooled V-8 engine with hemispherical combustion chambers and a 90-degree block, like Chrysler would introduce in 1951. Rear mounted engine, gearbox, and differential combined in a single block constructed from a special light-metal alloy. Front-mounted radiator. Plastic sunroof and rear window. Design reminiscent of Tatra.

Correct. Inspired from Tatra by admission of the designers. the first prototype even tried to keep cooling at the back through a rear mounted radiator with side scoops, but it proved insufficient. unfortunately in never went into production and only two prototypes survive to this day. Isotta Fraschini went on only as an engine manufacturer and never restarted car production (aside from a couple of audi-engineered prototypes in the late '90s)
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
Speaking of wagons... Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

Skoda Octavia estate wagon.

Correct! Skoda for the win.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Don't know what they are, but now I really want a car where the doors come off with the roof in one piece.

Intentionally. While parked.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Intentionally. While parked.

Good clarification. I am sure a few of the winter beaters I had in MN winters would almost qualify for my initial statement. Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

there was a bunch of tarts up in nashville tenn at the lane museum. and probably those little cars too. that is one of the top 5 museums Ive ever been to in my life. probably in the top 2 for cars...
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Photo originally posted at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8657298#8657298

The Beetle and the right rear of a Renault Dauphine I recognize but what is that dumpy British car?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

austin a30.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

Cute like the Isetta.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

This is the same photo as one of the five that notchback included in his post that got this hunt started. The 'sad' car on the left is an Alba Regia designed by József Horváth who is standing in front of it; the 'angry' one on the right is a Balaton designed by József Zappel who is standing behind it. Each car is powered by a 250 cc motorbike engine. They were both made in 1955 in Hungary but never reached the production stage.

If you know your history you will remember 1956 as being an important year in the history of Hungary, when Soviet forces crushed the Hungarian Revolution. The Revolution led to the end of the two designers' efforts since they both led local forces who opposed the Soviet military.

You can read about the historical overview of the two microcars here: https://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/coll/mikro.html
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Randall wrote:

This is the same photo as one of the five that notchback included in his post that got this hunt started. The 'sad' car on the left is an Alba Regia designed by József Horváth who is standing in front of it; the 'angry' one on the right is a Balaton designed by József Zappel who is standing behind it. Each car is powered by a 250 cc motorbike engine. They were both made in 1955 in Hungary but never reached the production stage.

If you know your history you will remember 1956 as being an important year in the history of Hungary, when Soviet forces crushed the Hungarian Revolution. The Revolution led to the end of the two designers' efforts since they both led local forces who opposed the Soviet military.

You can read about the historical overview of the two microcars here: https://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/coll/mikro.html
Winner, winner.

FU#3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Jump to:
Page 356 of 410

Jump to: