Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hinged engine lid
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

Engine fitted:-ALH

My engine lid was hinged when the project was finished. I used Hatch Back hood hinges.
Lid to stay open I have been using a rod where I used to hook it up to the hatch top.
This was looking odd & an additional work to hook it up or to put back to it’s place.

To over come this additional work I made use of a self locking rod(spring loaded) for the lid to stay open. I used old car’s hood stay rod.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A video clip of it.

Link

hope some may benefit of it.
Thanks
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

Very slick.
Sadly this won't work with a Westy without a serious mod of the rear closet.
For a non-westy though - a really nice mod!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

I’m adding this to my list of to-do’s. Thing is so heavy I can’t hardly get it out.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

I really want to do this mod. I have the rear trunk and front hood hinges from my Mk4 Jetta donor, but the twist I'm contemplating is using a linear actuator to do the "heavy" lifting.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401230916796?chn=ps

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that information. Sure wish I could do that with the lid on my Westy; its heavier than stock and even with material removed, when lifting it off there's still a risk it will hit the oil fill cap. Rolling Eyes

For the Westy, I'd have to wonder if making a hinged lid within the stock lid, is feasible. (maybe only with the metal lid)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

I agree - the lid is heavy enough that I can foresee the day when I will have real trouble dealing with it. Mine is a Westy so hinging is not practical.

I realize it is probably designed to both insulate and provide some fire protection but I would welcome any ideas for a lighter alternative.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinged engine lid Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts.

In this Mod the Lid opening is restricted to 50 degree max. This is more than enough to work in the engine Bay. Hinge bracket needs a support at the back for the fire wall strengthen.

For Westy Owners(my thoughts), the back Cabinet opening width can be reduced to the height of Lid opening at an angle of 50 degree to the side. This gives accesses to lid opening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: