Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BRM Gasburners
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

I've had a new set of these for about 10 years...waiting for something to put them on...now I'm
thinking about doing this,machining required.....any thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...

Last edited by gitchesum on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

Huh?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

I looked at the pic for a bit before seeing the difference. They look good and may not notice unless told.
Is this a set done or photo shopped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

It's a done set. Talked to one machinist a while back, and checking with another when time permits.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

I don't think I'd be machining a wheel that heavily. That's taking a ton of meat out of a structural area. I wouldn't use it...
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

Looks awesome! As mentioned above, not sure how much of the structure is compromised tough?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

Cut windows in the 5 spokes with nice radius at corners, likely caused little structural weakness.
A Plumber cuts a 2" hole in a 10" beam causes no issue, a hack cuts a 2" notch out of a 10" beam, and you got a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

A 10" Wooden beam doesn't have to endure extreme dynamic forces exerted at 30+ MPH supporting 2500 lbs of weight. The beam only supports dynamic and static weights. Apples and oranges. They are your wheels....do what you want, I know there's no way I'd even consider doing this to my wheels.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

It had 5 spokes, now it has 10. It’s probably stronger. Very Happy
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me what holds together as far as a wheel goes. I hang around a lot on import tuner sites. Not the B18 swap Civic-type sites, but Speedhunters and G35driver.com and whatnot. Some of the high-end wheels out there, don't look like they'd be able to hold the car up while standing still, much less moving.

Like the three-piece wheels below. How?

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM Gasburners Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

Cut windows in the 5 spokes with nice radius at corners, likely caused little structural weakness.
A Plumber cuts a 2" hole in a 10" beam causes no issue, a hack cuts a 2" notch out of a 10" beam, and you got a problem.

motofly196 wrote:
A 10" Wooden beam doesn't have to endure extreme dynamic forces exerted at 30+ MPH supporting 2500 lbs of weight. The beam only supports dynamic and static weights. Apples and oranges. They are your wheels....do what you want, I know there's no way I'd even consider doing this to my wheels.

Funny I came across this thread again, and found my post.
motofly196" has a good point, and also years ago when they made BRM reproduction wheels for New Beetles.
I showed them to a Automotive Engineer and his gut reaction was they looked weak.
So I didn't buy them, and bought stock 17" Aluminum VW wheels instead.
They were heavy, and slowed the car down.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: