Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air shocks
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Air shocks Reply with quote

Considering buying my first bug. Definitely want it lowered. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. Currently looking at a 67 that has air shocks in the front. Is that the best way to go? How reliable are they? Thanks for any help.
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Air shocks will not lower the car. The best way to lower it would probably be dropped spindles or an adjustable beam. Spindles would be the easiest.
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

I may be using the wrong terminology. I've seen pictures of the car and it has a nice stance. He said he used air shocks. Airlift airshocks with onboard controller. He said you can sit it on the ground if you want and raise it to different heights depending on driving conditions. Are you familiar?
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Btw yours turned out great! Nice work
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Briangartman wrote:
I may be using the wrong terminology. I've seen pictures of the car and it has a nice stance. He said he used air shocks. Airlift airshocks with onboard controller. He said you can sit it on the ground if you want and raise it to different heights depending on driving conditions. Are you familiar?

Airbags is a completely different set up than air shocks. The nice thing with airbags is that you can have the lowered look when parked but have a little clearance when driving. Not sure about reliability as I have only read about them. I am sure someone will chime in soon or you can use the search feature and find more about bags than you could ever want to know.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Airshocks can actually be used to lower the front much like airbags. The torsions springs are removed and replaced with a through bar similar to how they are done with airbags. Never driven in one, by my guess is it would ride like shit. Stiff airshocks on a vehicle with little weight up front will have a harsh ride.

Lowered spindles give a nice ride as all it does is raise the center of the spindle higher vs reducing travel which lowering via a beam does. I’ve not personally installed lowered spindles on a BJ car, but will say on a LP car installing an adjustable beam is considerably cheaper and easier.

There is a thread here about how to lower your car. Read through it for more info than you could possibly ever need.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info! Glad I found this site
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Air shocks Reply with quote

Problem is that there are pages and pages on lowering bugs. Some folks do it right and some don't. If serious lowering without dropped spindles, means that you need ball joints with a greater range of motion of else they may bind.

Then you get into how low is safe on the rear without damaging your wheel bearings.

And what you do can be impacted by what you are doing with the car. Some folks barely drive them and/or don't care about how well the car drives.

Do some research or here (use the search function), but you may get overwhelmed a bit.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: