Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis number
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt cose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Chassis number Reply with quote

Trying to figure out the paint code on my supposed 1958 original sliding roof only have a chassis number and body number. The body and chassis lists on this site don't seem to make sense to me.
Chassis#1649762
Body#41977
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

The only thing that we can determine from the VIN of your car is the month and year it was made, in this case September of 1957, making it an early 1958 model year car. You can try sending off to VW for a birth certificate which may tell you the original colours and market it was made for, but there's also the possibility you might not get much of any info from it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

That’s because back then they were just sequence numbers. You can get a birth certificate from the VW museum that will tell you paint codes, engine number, etc.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

I’ll add that the body and chassis number would have matched from the factory. Speaking as someone whose car has been repainted, places to look to determine the original color are areas such as up under the cowl, under rear seats, inside doors, behind engine tar boards.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

The body tag VIN and chassis tunnel VIN stamp should match..
Body tags occasionally seem to have a way of being "lost".. Anxious

The actual body number stamp was a body sequence number..

Beetle body tags would not state colors.

Also Body Number Stamps stopped for the 59 model year.... I believe?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401420

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

Of the dozens of "what's my original color?" threads on here- I have yet to see one we can't figure out with good pictures.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
The body tag VIN and chassis tunnel VIN stamp should match..
Body tags occasionally seem to have a way of being "lost".. Anxious

The actual body number stamp was a body sequence number..

Beetle body tags would not state colors.

Also Body Number Stamps stopped for the 59 model year.... I believe?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401420

I forgot about the older ones having stamps. Oops. Even then, the number given doesn’t make sense. Shouldn’t it be 6 digits?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
matt cose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

All those places appear to be white except in Aug of 1957 they didn't paint cars white
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number Reply with quote

matt cose wrote:
All those places appear to be white except in Aug of 1957 they didn't paint cars white

Sounds like a very thorough repaint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: