Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things people have said about your car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaNiaCaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

:: In my Big Rig Shop ::

Customer walks up to my Baja.

"Oh I see your starting a Baja project"

Me: "Starting? It's almost finished and l'm about to drive it 4 hours to Fredericksburg tomorrow " (Texas Vw classic)

This Old Junk
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Sittin in the McDonalds parking lot when a old lady and her husband pull up.
Lady: That's Cute!
Me: Thanks!
Lady: Does it drive?

...Holdup, what?

Then on the highway a big old macho guy in his lifted ford drives up alongside us for 100ft starts revving and speeds off. Suppose he wants to race?
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

At the grocery store I was catching up with and old fellah I hadn't seen in a while, he's been doing some driving for an auto auction company and he's an old Volvo guy, where he owned old Volvos like we have Vws lol. As we're talking he sees this newish boxy Volvo V70 awd pull up and says 'see those they're just junk'. The words aren't out of his mouth a second when the Volvo guy calls out who owns the bug and he'd trade even Steven his car for mine. My old friend just shook his head and walked away laughing.

I didn't make the trade--he was pretty insistant--no means no man--I've had it for 22 yrs and it's not for sale.! I think maybe he was thinking he could flip the bug for more than the Volvo??? Seemed like one of those guys.
He had to leave me with words of wisdom of course: ' You look after it. Get it under coated and it will last you a long time.'
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

I recently bought a 74 cabrio 1303 and had just driven it home when a neighbour walked by with her dog, 'oh I like your old car!' says she. Then, peering through the window, 'is it wooden inside?'
In the UK the most common saying is 'yer don't see many of these about' so I'll have to get used to hearing that umpteen times...
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Back when my 63 L87 Pearl White Sunroof bug was still a Herbie replica, I was sitting at a car show when this guy walks up and says:

Guy: "Hey, you ever seen that movie?" (*pointing at my car)

Me: "What movie?"

Guy: "You know, that movie with the car in it."

Me: "What car?"

Guy: "You know, this car!"

Me: "There's a movie?"

Guy: "Oh yeah, man..."

Me: "Never heard of it."

Guy: "You've gotta look it up and see it man, it was a big thing."

Me: "Hmm, had no idea. I just thought it looked cool."

================

I've gotten tons of the standard VW comments:

"You know these float"

"You know these go great in the snow" (Good to know in Tampa, FL)

"You know Hitler built these"

"You know a Porsche engine will bolt right in"

==============

At a car show recently, a little kid looking in the trunk said to his Dad, "Daddy, someone stole the motor!!!" I replied, "That's ok, I've got a spare one in the trunk." He ran to the back of the car and yelled, "Daddy, he's got a spare motor in the trunk!!!"
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Back when my 63 L87 Pearl White Sunroof bug was still a Herbie replica, I was sitting at a car show when this guy walks up and says:

Guy: "Hey, you ever seen that movie?" (*pointing at my car)

Me: "What movie?"

Guy: "You know, that movie with the car in it."

Me: "What car?"

Guy: "You know, this car!"

Me: "There's a movie?"

Guy: "Oh yeah, man..."

Me: "Never heard of it."

Guy: "You've gotta look it up and see it man, it was a big thing."

Me: "Hmm, had no idea. I just thought it looked cool."

I have had this same basic conversation except substitute my fedoras (of any size and color) and a certain Dr. Jones. Cracks me up.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

When I've got my hippy painted 62 Bug at car shows, I always get several questions:

Q: "How much weed did you smoke painting your car?"
A: "None. I did this stone cold sober. That's how messed up I am normally." (<--- Which is absolutely true)

Q: "Hey man, you ever smoke any weed man?"
A: "Not since high school."

Q: "Who painted your car?"
A: "I did."

Q: "How long did it take?"
A: "I stopped counting at 800 hours. That was several years ago. I've been painting on it for 9 years."

Q: "Are you finished?"
A: "No. It will never be finished. I've got under the hoods, wheel wells, under the pan, etc."

Q: "Are you going to clear coat it?"
A: "No. I'm going to let the paint and graphics age over time."
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

“Yo, dat shit be dope”, “I likes yo car” From a group of young ladies at the mall.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Driving the Beetle home on a cool, drizzly evening with my wife in one of the few instances she is riding in the Beetle, and I have my window partly open:

She: "Hon, it's getting a little cold."

Me: "Do you want me to turn on the heat?"

She: "Yeah, sure, turn on the heat. Ha - ha!"

I reach down and turn the heater knob until the heat flows.

A short silence, then she says "Oh, wow. That's heat!"

Laughing Cool

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

After we had pushed it home two blocks the last it crapped out, my wife has decided that my car is now to function as a cardiovascular workout machine.

'Hey, honey, let's push the car up and down the block after dinner tonight!'
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Pulling up to my FLAPS in my '67 yesterday, a guy in his early 40's was walking out of the door, stops and smiles and says, "Seeing this just made me happy!" And he walked away with a nice bounce in his step. Very Happy
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deaaaanno.vw1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

a kid once asked me, "is that Mr Bean's car?" i thought he was joking but when I saw his face he was serious Laughing Laughing Laughing
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

A couple of interesting various ones:

- "I like your Jeep!" (12 yr old kid yelling at us in the bay window)

- Guy offers $10k cash for the 15 window at the gas station and once my dad declines, the guy pulls the money out of his pocket and shows it to my dad (he later pulled away in the backseat of a taxi)

- "How much weed do you smoke in there?" (bay window)
- "None, actually."
- "If it was mine I would get so f**king stoned in that thing."
- "Nice."

- Another notable run in, I guess not actually verbal but definitely a good (but rather confusing) display of thoughts on our vehicle/driving skills, was a guy trailing us on the interstate. He was honking and smiling and giving us thumbs ups for like 3 minutes straight (to the point that we wondered if this guy just had issues) but later he passed us, swerved into our lane and flipped us off. My dad and I still to this day have NO idea what was up with that.

- "I love your old volkswagen! I have one too."
- "Awesome! What year is it?"
- "2004!" Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Last year when we were coming out of a local 4H club meeting a teenaged kid looked at our Manx copy and asked his Mom:

"What kind of car is that?"

"Oh, it's one of those new side by sides."

Rolling Eyes

Here are a couple of replies I have used at the gas pumps:

"What kind of mileage do you get with that thing?"

"I don't know, it's the first time I've filled it."

"Oh, just got it eh?"

"Nope. I've had it for 4 years!"

I like to use this one at the pumps on January the 1st standing beside the car after I fill it up:

"HONEY! IT'S GONE AND USED $30 AGAIN LAST YEAR!!!"

Good for some eye rolling and a few chuckles!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Today a 17 year-old was looking at my Ghia with the full cage and racing seats, etc..

"Just what exactly is this car?"

I really didn't have a good answer for him LOL.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

Does this count ----

Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

I was hanging out at a buddy's place the other day when his 2 year old nephew showed up. He kept running over to my bug and saying "oh no!" He was worried that it was sick (because of the paint), so he gave it a kiss to make it feel better Very Happy

Kids are great.
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

I got my 1970 Squareback on the road for the first time in 44years, it was a barn find, original paint, I get the “when ya gonna paint it?”, even from people on here. Shocked

Others:
What year?
Looks like you got some rust there (pointing at hole in fender) Me: yep (really, I didn’t notice Mad ) that came from someone that saw my car and pulled in to the parking lot I was in just to look at it.
That’s rare!
I’ve never seen one before!
From they guy in an older truck ,” is it single of dual port? “ Question Exclamation What? I never thought I’d get that question.
Yesterday I got a bunch of kids at a fence getting me to honk my horn.
Two days ago I was dropping some VW parts off at a guys place that used to work on and sell VWs, his sons were there to help, he used to let them pick out cars and fix them and they could use them, any ways, one was a Squareback and I dropped the parts off in my Squareback and one says to the other, “ remember the effing Banana car! “ Laughing I guess one of their many VWs was a yellow square.
Later on the way home I stopped to fill up on gas, and a guy pulls up next to me and starts looking at my Squareback and starts a conversation, “he says nice car, etc, nice color, forest green (it’s elm but really close) etc, ya, I got a couple of these, a shatun yellow one, a 68, and a 69 bus, and a bug. If you need any parts I got huge bins” Shocked when do you ever just run into some at the gas station currently with 5+ ACVWs.
Today I took my drivers test and the guy thought it was really cool. He said he’s done 5000 drivers test and it was the third manual transmission.
Then some others; my dad
“ I proud of you for getting it running, but it’s still the ugliest car ever made” Rolling Eyes
My mom , “can I get a high-five for:”
>moving the seat backward
>opening and closing the vent window
>locking the door
Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall those are just things you should be able to do.
My guy friends at school:
That’s cool!
Are you going to put a turbo in it?
It’s Hitlers car (they mainly say that just to make me angry and flustered)
My gal friends
THATS SOOK CUTE!!! Would you sell it to me?!
What if it breaks down!?! Me<I will fix it Eh?

Then my friends said if I got a bus they want to paint it like the mystery machine Eh? Brick wall d'oh!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

When I bought my '61 fipseat/sub hatch, I pulled into a gas station on my way to store it in a buddy's barn to keep it dry and ran into his ex- wife. She's admiring my score and I'm enjoying the meeting (she's really cute) when some guy comes over laughing out loud. "That is the UGLIEST car I've ever seen. What are you doing with THAT?" I tell him I'm going to fix it up and he's like "No, really? That thing is UGLY!"

About 45 years ago, I drove a '61 ghia 'vert to a friend's house and his brother says "what the hell is that? a Studebaker?" Their mom had a super beetle!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things people have said about your car Reply with quote

I've received good-natured warnings over the years.

Once I was driving a lowered VW with widened back wheels and negative camber, and someone tried frantically to warn me my axle was broken and my rear wheels were coming out of the fenders.

Another time I was driving a '63 sunroof bug, and someone warned me that someone must have left a mat on the roof.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 55

Jump to: