Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
wayne1230cars wrote:
Sounds good.
I have had no further leakage since I started filling the reservoir to the 3/4 level. I do like the idea of the DOT 5 fluid though. No paint damage and no fluid replacement every other year.

for correct conversion to silicone, all wetted rubber parts must be replaced with new. used rubber will have absorbed the dot 4 or 3 fluid, when that is mixed with absorption of dot 5 silicone, the rubber can then swell and tear. Seen it happen, all new rubber is the solution to this.

Stop Sure, Bug On!

I don’t disagree with this- and I rue the possibility that I might have to report back that I screwed the pooch by purging and filling. I will be honest if this conversion causes a failure.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

I’m back! It’s been about two and a half years, and the bugs brakes were fine the whole time. There is also no leaking or paint damage, and the Dot 5 fluid looks like new.

BUT- I moved my bug to start building a home gym, and I was happy that after long winter storage the bug started right up.... but no brakes. I pumped furiously, and nothing.

I replaced the soft lines, purged the system and switched to Dot 5 brake fluid in 2018. I checked the reservoir, and was relieved to see no leaking. I also saw no sign of the system leaking where the car had sat all year. But when I pried the stopper out of my reservoir, the thing was empty, with just a puddle of fluid sitting below the outlet neck.

Where did the fluid go??

I re filled the little tank and immediately had solid brakes again. Anybody have an idea what happened?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate without a trace, so it had to have leaked out somewhere. Quite often when no leak evidence can be found, the master itself is leaking around the piston near the pedal pushrod boot and into the Napoleon's hat. Pulling the boot and looking into the abyss for dampness should tell you if this is the case.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

The fluid is going somewhere. Also check the front to rear line. If it turns out that you need a new m/c, I would consider converting to a dual master cylinder. I did on my ‘60 last year. Fairly straightforward with lots of threads about the process.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

Sorry, like a dog returning to its vomit, I am back.

We actually had a nice day today and the bug hadn’t been out since the end of summer.

It started right up, but again, as I feared, no brake pedal. Pulled the spare tire, pulled off the cap and AGAIN- empty brake fluid resevoir.

This is crazy. You can see my last post from May 2020. I filled the res then, and happily motored all summer with no drop in fluid. The car has now sat in the garage under cover for 4-5 months and the darn thing is empty. I filled it back up, the pressure immediately returned and all is well. No leak that I can find, and if it DID have a leak, I just don’t think I would have good firm brake pedal.

I’d suspect a practical joke, but my wife and girls just don’t have the aptitude to pull this off.

Any ideas?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
No leak that I can find, and if it DID have a leak, I just don’t think I would have good firm brake pedal.

Any ideas?

From the driver area, pull back any carpet or mats, and check the rubber boot on the master cylinder rear for leakage. These typically leak out that rear seal into the pan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky brake fluid reservoir 1960 Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser! I’ll have a look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: