Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Picking up a new early model bumper on Sunday for the front end, and hitting up Cars and Coffee tomorrow the 13th. Excited! Blue has been running great so far. I think the next step is cosmetic stuff until I can afford the time to take a smaller roadtrip. As they say, you don't know your classic car until you roadtrip it.

Any recommendations for de-chroming and painting stuff, by the way? If the chrome on the bumper isn't great I plan on painting it white, finding a early rear bumper in bad condition and doing the same. Also I have access to sandblasting if that's a good option.

Anyone got a poor condition rear bumper for sale? I don't mind rust of course since I plan to paint. Preferably somewhat nearby.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Cars and Coffee was great! Bit chilly out but great. Had a few people take photos and ask questions, and had two Porsche 911 Targas park next to me!

Unfortunately I was conserving my phone as it's my speedo right now, so I didn't grab any pics, but I'll be going next week too if Ih ave the time!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You can pound out bumper dents & straighten twists with chains & jacks. Lemon juice will dissolve rust on chrome bumpers etc. Keep them waxed good to prevent the rust from coming back. Paint them 'chrome' if you have to, but not white etc. I have early/late front/rear bumpers but they but they all will need work before mounting. Twisted Evil
https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+paint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You can pound out bumper dents & straighten twists with chains & jacks. Lemon juice will dissolve rust on chrome bumpers etc. Keep them waxed good to prevent the rust from coming back. Paint them 'chrome' if you have to, but not white etc. I have early/late front/rear bumpers but they but they all will need work before mounting. Twisted Evil
https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+paint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

How much for an early rear? I'm paying 20 for the front right now, not looking great and has a sticker on it etc, hence why I was hoping to paint it. Any specific reason why not white/etc?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

$50 each. I have a 'good' chrome pair that were on Jack's '67 square when he rolled it into a field. They're both twisted on the ends. Jack just had the rear bumper pounded out & re-chromed after backing into a pole at Best Buy! You'll have to make a road trip to look at all of them. I'm old school on chrome or painted bumpers, but dark blue/gray would look better than white on your dark blue car.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
$50 each. I have a 'good' chrome pair that were on Jack's '67 square when he rolled it into a field. They're both twisted on the ends. Jack just had the rear bumper pounded out & re-chromed after backing into a pole at Best Buy! You'll have to make a road trip to look at all of them. I'm old school on chrome or painted bumpers, but dark blue/gray would look better than white on your dark blue car.

Good point! Plus the light blue and dark blue kinda messes with it. If it were all the light-ish blue on it I'd go white. I think you're right on grey though.

I'll see when I can afford a bumper, those aren't bad prices considering everyone wants top money for ANYTHING Type 3 it seems Razz
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Picked up the new bumper today from a very nice woman, user Katri. Thank you so much again! It cleaned up fairly well and I may keep it as is as it's got some neat USAF base stickers, and kind has charm that fits the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should be from a car out of Sacramento, judging by the base.

All cleaned up! Used Mother's shine on it just as a first look and it's looking good! At this point I just need to figure out mounting it, as the brackets don't seem to be outward enough to fit, just looking at it.

80 mile trip today, still going strong!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You're going to find out that you're going to need to drill a hole on each side for the front mounting screw. This id because the 70-73 cars used 3 bolts to mount the bumper, while 69 and earlier cars used 2 on each side. The rear hole will work, but there is no front bolt hole.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I know lemon juice will dissolve/wash away more rust than your Mother's Polish. Pound out the dents with hammer & punches.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You're going to find out that you're going to need to drill a hole on each side for the front mounting screw. This id because the 70-73 cars used 3 bolts to mount the bumper, while 69 and earlier cars used 2 on each side. The rear hole will work, but there is no front bolt hole.

Doesn't bother me too much, just excited to have it! It'll look a lot better than the late model one which was just very... bland before I sold it. Do I have to bend the brackets outward or something to get it to fit?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I know lemon juice will dissolve/wash away more rust than your Mother's Polish. Pound out the dents with hammer & punches.

Thank you for the tip! I also heard Coca Cola, but last I used it it wasn't much better than polish. I think I'll just keep the bumper how it is to be honest. Looks quite charming just a little bit dented, old bumper stickers, etc.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

What can y'all tell me about PIP racks? I've got a gent offering me one plus some cash for the white square I picked up not too long.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Meh. Dont mind these old guys. Do what you're going to do. You are doing it anyway. Laughing Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Meh. Dont mind these old guys. Do what you're going to do. You are doing it anyway. Laughing Cool

Haha, thank you! But I do take everyone's advice to heart, I AM the learner here after all! Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Haha, thank you! But I do take everyone's advice to heart, I AM the learner here after all! Very Happy

Yes, but one can only lead the horse to water. The heart will want what the heart wants. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Oh, also I was noticing an issue on that Portland drive - occasionally when shifting into first from a stop, it will grind a bit. And yes, I do have the clutchall the way in, at a complete stop. Didn't seem tragic, but sometimes it also won't shift down to second or first from third, not sure about fourth. Very rarely does it happen, but it does. I have to shift back into whatever gear I was in to shift down usually, or be stuck in that gear even.

Happened on the way to Cars and Coffee, a very polite BMW was going to let me get into the correct lane (WHY do they show you which lane is which 10ft before the light!? Evil or Very Mad ) in line with the others headed there, and he'd not shift down. Had to do about 15mph in third to get going.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Picked up the new bumper today from a very nice woman, user Katri. Thank you so much again! It cleaned up fairly well and I may keep it as is as it's got some neat USAF base stickers, and kind has charm that fits the car.

Should be from a car out of Sacramento, judging by the base.

All cleaned up! Used Mother's shine on it just as a first look and it's looking good! At this point I just need to figure out mounting it, as the brackets don't seem to be outward enough to fit, just looking at it.

80 mile trip today, still going strong!

I've had good results spraying the bumpers with CLR and scrubbing with very fine (0000) steel wool, then waxing/polishing.
You'll, obviously, want to avoid scouring the stickers if you're wanting to keep them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good bluetooth speaker that could wire up to the dash? I remember reading that Type 3's have weird speaker mount sizes, which could always be fixed with an adapter AKA plywood.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Late model dash will only fit a 4"X8" speaker I think.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Late model dash will only fit a 4"X8" speaker I think.

Thank you, Mike!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 24

Jump to: