Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non stock engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Non stock engine Reply with quote

I saw this picture in an ad for a 1977 convertible. It’s obviously not stock thdoes anybody know what’s going on here? Is it a red flag?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Non stock engine Reply with quote

where to start? original injected car converted to carb...30/31 with an adapter to fit dual port manifold...cheap k&n style air filter...009 centrifugal distributor...cant see if it has the correct cylinder covers to match the F.I. engine compartment...no idea whats going on with the patch pop rivited onto the fan housing by the coil...has a fuel pump mount so its not the original block...so did they convert the F.I. engine or just stuff in a used carb engine ( reason for the cylinder cover comment)...the fact that the fire hazard fuel filter has been installed backwards doesnt say much for the level of expertise involved
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Non stock engine Reply with quote

Good Core engine for Dual Carbs!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Non stock engine Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it a red flag. That engine may be from the early '70's and might run fine. Check the serial number on the block below the alternator stand to confirm the year (first two letters will tell you everything). If the car is solid and complete, then the engine can be updated in any way you want. Most used bugs out there have engines that don't match - it's the norm not the exception.

The worst things that you should change immediately for low cost include the air filter (with pre-warmed hose), the coil, and the fuel filter (although the coil might be fine). The carb and distributor work together and are fine unless you want total stock look. The tin appears good.

Not a red flag unless you want a total '79 set up.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hardwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Non stock engine Reply with quote

Thanks for your time and expertise. I knew for sure it was not stock, but other than that I had no idea.

thanks

George
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Non stock engine Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
where to start? original injected car converted to carb...30/31 with an adapter to fit dual port manifold...cheap k&n style air filter...009 centrifugal distributor...cant see if it has the correct cylinder covers to match the F.I. engine compartment...no idea whats going on with the patch pop rivited onto the fan housing by the coil...has a fuel pump mount so its not the original block...so did they convert the F.I. engine or just stuff in a used carb engine ( reason for the cylinder cover comment)...the fact that the fire hazard fuel filter has been installed backwards doesnt say much for the level of expertise involved

That is NOT an FI engine that has been converted. FI cases do not have a hole for a stock fuel pump, which this one obviously has. Aftermarket distributor (009), aftermarket air cleaner. Not sure what is going on under the coil, it appears there is a plate bolted to the shroud in that location.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: