Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jalopnik interesting view of a Vanagon from an outsider...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Not a bad article. The point being theres a whole lot more to driving a VW van than meets the eye. And this dude secretly wants one if only he were able to keep it on the road.

I drove my van an hour ago. Felt every bit of the awesomeness this dude just described. I also felt all the fantastic work Ive done to make that biotch run as it does. I would have to add to this guys comments that many of us feel a sense of pride when driving these old rigs. It takes skills dedication and patience to keep a VW van on the road.

I especially like that he says they are a stable investment with bullet proof resale value. Yeah Baby.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Normally I like Jalopnik, but I was real fukkin offended by this hack. Shocked

I'm not sure if I'm not getting the joke, but this guy just had no respect.

I think this guy just completely misses the point.

Team WorldTour wrote:
Yeah, but this guy is making his buck off something I actually care about....
I found his article to be demeaning. Maybe it was the language he used, or the way he used it, but it just rubbed me wrong.

Yikes! It sounds like things aren’t so uber alles im das Vaterland.

First they came for those with a sense of humor...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

The more idiots try to create artificial constructs like millennial hipsters they stupider they make themselves look. There's 7-8 billion people in the world and there are awesome and cheetohs in every generation.

Fire the editor/publisher who let this tripe get out. Oh wait, we don't need those anymore....
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

I see nothing, in the article, that would cause a true Vanagon owner to be upset about. It’s just another person view of our beast and most of what he says is true. How many of your friends would be happy driving a Vanagon?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Even more so, how many of your friends would you lend your vanagon to?
Michael4104 wrote:
I see nothing, in the article, that would cause a true Vanagon owner to be upset about. It’s just another person view of our beast and most of what he says is true. How many of your friends would be happy driving a Vanagon?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

I just spent about three hours rewiring the stereo so it would turn on when I inserted the key - because there is no "accessory" position. Then added a on/on switch so I could turn on the unit without the key while camping or getting fuel. While I was doing that, I also replaced all eight leaky swivel fittings on my remote oil filter and cooler - what a mess that was. Then I replaced the unreliable electronic boost and oil pressure gauges with mechanical units.
Now the Saturn Vue electric power steering is wonky - being too easy to turn left and not as easy to turn right. I think I know what it is and will fix that today.

We have a 7.3 F-250 4x4 which runs like a top and will tow 10,000 lbs. A Hyundai Tuscon which is flawless, safe, and so reliable I don't even think about it. What do we typically drive? - the Westy.

I found the article an interesting and a somewhat rounded perspective, and taking it down a reflection of our current state - my way or the highway.

As for resale value - don't care - not selling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Well, the guy obviously has never driven anything over ten years old! He's some kid from Montreal, where cars are rusted to death in a hurry.

And I'm pretty sure that I would hate the handling myself with those skinny low ET rims and off-road tires. .. Rolling Eyes
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
With a fresh set of Sachs shocks, 16” CLK wheels and Michelin Pilot 205/55 tires, an otherwise stock tintop Vanagon will slide when cornered to the limit...not tip over.

The heavy steel rails in the floor and engine/transaxle are down low, it’s not as top heavy as you’d think. Most people aren’t capable or crazy enough to actually learn how to get a Vanagon to scoot through the twisties, but it does quite well.

With you all the way buddy. I like to lure the tailgating Mustang types into following me through the exit I take off HWY 99 on my way home. They fade in a hurry. Cool
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:

I agree. Reading these comments, I begin to think I had read the wrong article.

Title: Why the Vanagon is worth the hype
in the Verdict section:
"It’s true, the moment you’ll get behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia, you’ll want to drive off to wherever and leave your problems behind.

As a car, the Volkswagen van is rather useless. It’s loud, slow, smells funny and will probably kill you if you dare drive it through hazardous winter conditions.

But everyone loves the Westfalia. It makes people smile and dream, more than any other camper can, and its resale value is bulletproof.

Besides, any car, no matter how bad it is, that instantly makes you happy and stress-free behind the wheel; a car that makes you realize that all the tiny, insignificant worries of your stressful life are nothing more than cosmic dust is worth every penny in my book.

Westfalia owners like Fred have understood that the day shit hits the fan in their current lives, they can just hop into their car, drive off, and jumpstart a better world for themselves in another part of the planet.

There aren’t many cars left that deliver this kind of freedom."

Really people - take a chill pill, the writer actually admired the Vanagon Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

This comment, at least, suggests to me that he 'gets it':

Quote:
...you instantly feel like you’re on vacation when driving it.

I find that some people who complain about power actually have no idea how to flog a small 4-cylinder for maximum effect - instead they use shift points appropriate for a Buick Regal. Granted, this guy had an automatic so he couldn't do much flogging but a manual version can be driven in a decidedly peppy fashion even with the stock engine.

Well, if this discourages someone from getting one then they probably weren't Vanagon material in the first place.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Yeah, but this guy is making his buck off something I actually care about....
I found his article to be demeaning. Maybe it was the language he used, or the way he used it, but it just rubbed me wrong.

move to the US and you'll understand "demeaning"
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I think the driving experience really depends on the van you happen to be driving.

^This.

A) In driving out to BBB last week, I had to dodge some asshole in a semi (not a full-length one, but still) pulling out in front of me onto a 2-lane highway with me coming at him at 65mph. Luckily, no one was coming the other direction at that moment... fully loaded Westy handled it without issue. Suspension, tires, and brakes all account for a lot when it comes to 5000-pound brick.

B) While the 0-60 time might be slow, we're talking about a brick with 90hp, not a friggin' Porsche. That said, my van can easily do 75, but I don't like pushing it that hard... 55-68 is its preferred speed range.

C) This is Jalopnik we're talking about -- a site that's the butt of jokes on popular international car forums. To say that Jalopnik provides quality automotive journalism is like saying that the National Enquirer is on par with the Wall Street Journal.

D) Given "C", the author, after his condescending tone regarding the test drive, did ultimately praise the Vanagon Westy. Wink Furthermore, if you read the comments section, you'll see Vanagon owners chiming in. I originally read this "article" last year and didn't think much of it one way or another.

Ahwahnee wrote:
I find that some people who complain about power actually have no idea how to flog a small 4-cylinder for maximum effect - instead they use shift points appropriate for a Buick Regal. Granted, this guy had an automatic so he couldn't do much flogging but a manual version can be driven in a decidedly peppy fashion even with the stock engine.

Even an automatic can be shifted manually, which a majority of the car-driving public doesn't understand.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Even more so, how many of your friends would you lend your vanagon to?

NONE!

In fact, a friend of mine once asked me if I could let him borrow my van for a couple of days camping, and I told him that since I appreciated his friendship and wanted to keep it, I was not going to let him borrow the van.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a Vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

I had a friend who wanted to borrow my van so he could sleep in it in the parking lot after a bar concert (battle of bands) thing...

he's no longer a friend...
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Aryana wrote:
With a fresh set of Sachs shocks, 16” CLK wheels and Michelin Pilot 205/55 tires, an otherwise stock tintop Vanagon will slide when cornered to the limit...not tip over.

The heavy steel rails in the floor and engine/transaxle are down low, it’s not as top heavy as you’d think. Most people aren’t capable or crazy enough to actually learn how to get a Vanagon to scoot through the twisties, but it does quite well.

With you all the way buddy. I like to lure the tailgating Mustang types into following me through the exit I take off HWY 99 on my way home. They fade in a hurry. Cool

Where is the like button for this?
When my van was actually running I would do the same! Lure them then just zoom into the bend, when I come out they are a hundred yards back. See ya.
Oak St Bridge ramps!
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Aryana wrote:

Very Happy I love this!!!!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Aryana wrote:

Where is the like button for this?
When my van was actually running I would do the same! Lure them then just zoom into the bend, when I come out they are a hundred yards back. See ya.
Oak St Bridge ramps!

Yes, Oak Street bridge, too, especially the northbound bridge to Marine Drive East one! And the entrance/exit ramps for Crescent Beach. Cool
www.thebassspa.com
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Aryana wrote:

Reminds me of leaving South Lake Tahoe. I have to grind up a short climb in 3rd with the impatient types tailgating me. There is a TINY passing lane that they fall over themselves busting a nut to pass me. Then they slow way down as the road quickly becomes very winding. I know the road and don't slow down at all, and in short order, I am tailgating them!

Stock Vanagons handle nicely for their size. I can only imagine what new springs, bushings, and sway bar would do.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Aryana wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Aryana wrote:

Reminds me of leaving South Lake Tahoe. I have to grind up a short climb in 3rd with the impatient types tailgating me. There is a TINY passing lane that they fall over themselves busting a nut to pass me. Then they slow way down as the road quickly becomes very winding. I know the road and don't slow down at all, and in short order, I am tailgating them!

Stock Vanagons handle nicely for their size. I can only imagine what new springs, bushings, and sway bar would do.

I often take my van up to Big Bear in the San Bernardino mountains in SoCal.

Uphill I'm obviously pretty slow, but even then I generally am not the slowest thing going.

Heading home is a different matter entirely. I always end up riding the brakes and transmission due to flatlanders who can't navigate the twisties.

Aside from the extra effort required by the manual steering my van handles just fine. Will be better once I finish getting all the front bushings, etc replaced but it does just fine as-is.
1989 VW Cabriolet
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik interesting view of a Vanagon from an outsider... Reply with quote

I almost had mine out handle me in the twists from I-90 to Devil's tower WY this past fall.
my van has lower stiff springs with 205/65/15 Nokian tires and front & rear swaybars. not sure where the CG really is but it handles quite well..

well enough that the back end kicked out about 4ft on a down turn to up turn transition.. on a chilly wet road with a 1.8T. oversteer and kicked out quick.. truly an odd feeling in a vanagon.
caught it as I hope I would with my time/experience but there's never a guarantee in these things.. butt puckering no matter, as it's never really expected.. just reactionary to correct but not over correct and maintain my lane and stay on the road..

so dial it in for handling but prepare for the unexpected oversteer.
I'd have been happier to been powering thru snow...

my traveling friend in the van behind me stated it was quite the site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: