Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

It's a 1960 with a 1600dp crammed into it.

From what I've read, DVDA (dual vacuum, dual advance) dist are not desired anymore? The SVDA sounds preferred. (Correct me if needed.)

Are there any respected brands? Bosch seems hard to find. What model #'s would I be after? All the lists that people post don't reference SVSA or SVDA, so I'm lost.
Flame throwers seem cheap. Like to get a Bosch or....?

Thanks for any reconditions. Confused
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Seems that the 34PICT-3 came with a 034 (0231 170 034) SVDA.

But that was only one reference.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

A German 034 is awesome with a PICT 34. I just rebuilt one for my car and the idle and tip in are perfectly smooth. Much better than my German 009 that it replaced.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Beautiful news. Are Bosch the only German brands avail?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

There are aftermarket 034's but I've never had one. I found my German Bosch one in a box at a swap meet. 5 bucks? Yes please... It had a good vacuum can too. Dancing

There are a few people here that rebuild them. Check the classifieds.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

34pict-3’s came with a couple of different distributors. You need to check the number on the base flange to see what originally came with it.

You’re probably not going to get a lot of love here for aftermarket distributors. From what I have read (no direct experience one) the quality can be dodgey at times. Pertronix seems to have the better reputation. John at aircooled.net carries them and is a frequent contributor here, mostly in the engine and performance forum. You may want to do a search to find out some more info.

German would probably be better quality, but is going to be pricey unless you can rebuild it yourself and based on some of your past posts, it doesnt seem like something you’ll want to tackle. There are several members here that rebuild and sell them. Type “svda” or “034” into the classifieds search engine and you’ll find some.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

I went with a Pertronix SVDA, igniter electronic ignition, and flamethrower coil. It performs beautifully.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I went with a Pertronix SVDA, igniter electronic ignition, and flamethrower coil. It performs beautifully.

There are numerous posts detailing how they have vacuum canisters that fail, that are too stiff and where the module just fails. So carry a spare, which you don't need to with a good German 034.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

I carry a spare 009 with points in my tool bag anyway. I bought my Pertronix set up 4-5 years ago and it's been great. Perhaps the issues are recent production. My Bosch 009 on my 62 with points has been great, so I've never changed it. Don't plan to either. The previous distributor on the 63 gave me problems which is why I switched it over.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
34pict-3’s came with a couple of different distributors. You need to check the number on the base flange to see what originally came with it.

Not familiar with flange. There are no other markings that I can see.
Guessing the flange # are only visible when disconnected?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Is the carb the original German Solex or a aftermarket replacement? Aftermarket won't have a flange number.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Ahhh... yeah, I’ve got a heap of aftermarket junk in there.
Probably the answer.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

If no flange stamp I'd go with a 034 SVDA.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Yeah, every aftermarket 34PICT-3 I've ever examined was set up like late model SVDA carburetors.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
It's a 1960 with a 1600dp crammed into it.

From what I've read, DVDA (dual vacuum, dual advance) dist are not desired anymore? The SVDA sounds preferred. (Correct me if needed.)

Are there any respected brands? Bosch seems hard to find. What model #'s would I be after? All the lists that people post don't reference SVSA or SVDA, so I'm lost.
Flame throwers seem cheap. Like to get a Bosch or....?

Thanks for any reconditions. Confused

I can't agree with this statement. The DVDA distributors are a good option with a 34 PICT 3 Solex carburetor. The early DVDA like the 113 905 205 AN are a better option IMHO. The internals and the build quality as discussed in these forums is of poorer quality than the DVDA distributors. The weak point in the DVDA distributors is the large vacuum canister. It's very common for the retard side of the canister to have failed over time. Typically the advance side is still working about 60% of the time. In this case the DVDA can be set up as a SVDA.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Aren’t the DVDA’s difficult to refurb? I had thought this was why they had fallen into disfavor? Not so much due to performance but inability to properly refurbish them correctly?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Everything is difficult when you don't know how.

They're not any harder than any other.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Everything is difficult when you don't know how.

They're not any harder than any other.

I must have misread. I thought one or more of the parts wasnt refurbishable or very difficult/too expensive to source.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

The DVDA changed every year so new parts are NLA and you have to salvage parts from good cores. The quality of the parts is not as good at the older and newer models.

I think Bosch tried much cheaper manufacturing and changed their mind after a few years.

I'm not a big fan of vacuum retard since it was mostly to lower emissions and not for performance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What Vacuum Advance Dist for a 1600 DP with 34PICT-3 carb? Reply with quote

Maybe that's what my brain synopsed into one thought. I have pretty good retention, but didn't feel like going back through 1000's of posts to see where I got that impression from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: