Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The question I have is, if you fit these swan neck mirrors, what do you do with the hole in the door where the original mirror was?

My 66 has it mounted on the door hinge, so there's no hole. Just a threaded thing on top of the hinge. I'd probably get a little cap for the threads so that way if I was going on a longer trip or into town where I'd want better mirrors I could slap the stock one back on temporarily.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors? Reply with quote

Lol. The field of view in a mirror (of a similar size) that is 3 feet away from the stock location would not be anywhere near the same.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors? Reply with quote

Was thinking of these myself.
My inquiries turned up the same answers.
One guy at a car show told me they tend to vibrate annoyingly on anything other than a smooth road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

-13 give or take. Truth be told I actually hate them. For me personally I can’t really see out of them. People ALWAYS bump them walking by the car in parking lots which is fun because you never notice until you’re in the car belted in about to back up. So then it’s either say f it and keep going or get in and out 27 times until you get the mirror right. Plus I bump every now and then getting gas or putting stuff in the trunk. So then once again I’m back to getting in and out 27 times adjusting it. Combine that with the fact that I’m 6’4” tall and wear a size 13 shoe. So needless to say getting in and out isn’t near the top of my fun things to do list. Also you need to cut down your trim. So if you have OG trim, or in my case $90+ stainless trim, it makes you wonder if it really worth it. I do like the look of them and I get compliments on them frequently, but if one ever breaks I will be going back to stock mirrors.

I had to laugh at this. This is exactly why I took mine off. I sucked it up and bought more stainless trim, I couldn't take them anymore! That said, I love the way they look. Very Happy
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What are these quarter panel mounted mirrors? Reply with quote

Guys great information. I love this site. I'm about to buy my first bug, a 67, and I get a lot of my questions answered here without even asking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: